Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8

The new operating system will take a little while to get used to.

The underlying software is very agile for a behemoth like Redmond

There must have been some very interesting squabbles taking place just a few

blocks from the Fred Meyer after lunch.

There is an Arbies sandwich joint nearby that has a cool dining area

and a scrumptious menu.

after all that programming those lads need some tasty Munchies!

Re: Windows Eight

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...etsNews&rpc=43

Will this offer be in Hawaii too?

Comment

I am not sure yet,WB.

The Best Buy stores have announced a hundred dollar off windows 8 computers

this week . If that offer is not valid in Hawaii it would be a big mistake.
      In fact it would be an insult to the citizens of Hawaii.

I took close note of Sinofsky leaving when he did.

The Value Village store in Redmond has often had some prototype

abandoned 'soft hardware for sale.

There is a Half-price books only a few blocks away.

Downtown Redmond has a few nice taverns where one may meet

disgruntled programmers .
      Last edited by lensperson; February 22, 2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Had to buy a new computer which runs Windows 8 to replace the one that was slowly dying which is running Windows 7. I guess this is the first time I was using an operating system at home that I never had a chance to play around at work.

It does take getting used to using Windows 8.

Comment

Howdy Helen ,

The response to 8 has been mixed The lack of a start button and a familiar

desktop is disconcerting.

Microsoft has been forced to put a foot forward into three new markets.

Telephones,

Tablets, and

ARM processors instead of intel '86 type cpu s.

I live in the Puget Sound area and if msft collapsed the local economy would take a big hit.

However, I think that the Redmond mavens should listen to the customers more , rather than cramming these "improvements" down the consumers throats.
          Last edited by lensperson; March 26, 2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Only a few machines in my office have been "upgraded" to Windows 8, and based on our experience, nobody else is volunteering to join us. It feels incomplete, like a first step to a world where touch interfaces even on desktops are the norm... but we're not there yet, and Windows definitely isn't. I work entirely in the old-school desktop environment, and whenever I accidentally trigger a Windows 8 element (from the tiles to the "charms"), I quietly curse.

Comment

Re: Windows 8

I am slowly installing applications on the Windows 8 computer, roughly around 2 or 3 applications per day. Yesterday was the iTunes so that I can deal with my iPod (since I had a dental appointment today, needed to listen to music while under nitrous oxide). Was planning to install QuickTime but according to the Apple web site it didn't list Windows 8 as a supported operating system, so I attempted to go to the Apple Trailers site (http://www.apple.com/trailers) to watch a trailer, expected it to complain that I don't have QuickTime installed on the computer, but it downloaded the trailer I wanted to see and after it was done, I clicked on the file and it took me to the video part of the Start screen. Was able to view the downloaded trailer with no problem.

Comment

I had to purchase a new laptop last January because the lid hinge broke on my Windows 7 machine and I was afraid the data feed cable was going to break. The new laptop runs Windows 8 (but with no touchscreen). My response to Windows 8 is........?????? I don't get it! The system has no utility for me. I have it set up to run what looks like Windows 7 with traditional desktop and it works fine in that mode.

I talked to the staff at Staples yesterday and they said they have not had a good response to Windows 8 from their customers. In their opinion the program is incomplete and Windows 9 is supposed to fix all the problems. It looks like another "Vista" disaster.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

http://beta.fool.com/joekurtz/2013/0...gyholnk0000001

New coke.

Comment

Working...
                  X