X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoyalHawaiian
    replied
    Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    9 American Electronics Brands You Might Want To Avoid Buying (msn.com)

The quality of the tv brand depends on much it costs.

Oh yeah? I would like to add that the life of a TV set will last until your favorite sports team loses a big game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LxM...hmURKTdhKIDfG2

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    9 American Electronics Brands You Might Want To Avoid Buying (msn.com)

The quality of the tv brand depends on much it costs.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    The 5 Worst TV Brands to Avoid (msn.com)

I have a Insignia tv. They're cheap and disposable for a tv.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied
    Re: The lifetime of a television set?

I finally turned in my non-working 40 inch TV to Best Buy today (8/26/21). I should have done this a year ago when the fee was $25, now that fee is $29.99.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

While I could afford a $150 70 inch flatscreen, I pretty much sure it is too big for my needs.

As far as size goes that new 19 inch seems to be okay for me.

Leave a comment:

• Troubleshooter
    replied

Went to Walmart today, a 70" flatscreen for $150-$500. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Went to Best Buy to get more information about turning in my non-working TV to them. After that I checked their selection of TV. There was an Insignia 19 inch TV set for $69, so I purchased it. Not the smallest TV set I owned but definitely the cheapest one so far (the 9 inch JC Penny was around $99).

This TV is not a Smart TV, kind of no frills, which is good for a 2nd TV in the bedroom for later on.

Got it running a few minutes ago, hardest part was putting those screws to the legs.

For the short term this TV is the main one for now. Soon or later I will get a bigger one somewhere between 24 to 32 inches, 40 inches at the most. Just deciding on what features I want the one to have, but for now I have functional TV set.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Less than 4 years old and my 40 inch Magnvox stopped working very early this morning (3/1/20). Tried a few times to unplug it and plug it back in to no avail.

I am not totally bummed about this, I was thinking of a getting another but smaller TV that has Apple Play on it for the bedroom. I was originally thinking about getting a 24 inch but since the main one died I might as well get something slightly bigger like a 32 inch. I don't know about getting another 40 inch at this time.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I have been eyeing something from Vizio for the last 2 months or so, either the 32 or the 39 inch versions. Sometimes I would think about the Samsung or the Magnvox.

I figured this weekend I would buy a set, so today (9/24/16) I finally picked up a Magnvox 40 inch, model #: 40MV336X, from Sam's Club for $249.88.

Reasons why.
    1. Remote control. The Magnavox had a numerical keypad while the Vizio didn't.
    2. You can control the Magnavox without the remote control, there are buttons in the right rear edge.
    3. I could not find any reference to Vizio as a supported devices on the oceanic cable remote control. Since my last TV was a Magnavox, I figured my oceanic remote would still be valid and it did when I finally turned it on.

The biggest hassle I had was trying to screw in the legs. Spent another $14 or so on more screwdrivers but finally managed to do it.

I haven't tried the smart TV features yet but I was able to watch stuff from Oceanic and from my DVD player.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

if it's for living room use where others will be watching, then bigger would usually be the ticket, but for single use then it's a toss up. my aged LG monitor is 20''-ish diagonal and less than 3' away at my desk where I do my viewing, so it works for me. but picture quality is paramount, the slightest weirdness would distract and annoy me to no end, finding a set with even near perfect imaging is more than difficult, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    isn't 5 years max the normal 'electronics' lifetime expectancy today?
    The 5 year lifetime is normally for computers with the disk drive being the limiting factor due to the spinning hard drive.

In any event I haven't purchased a replacement TV set yet. I am debating on either getting a 32 inch set or a 39 inch/40 inch set. I lowered a shelf where the 19 inch set used to reside, so a 32 inch set will fit okay with no problem. This space will not support a 39/40 inch set due to the width of the shelf unit itself, but I could clear up other space in my place to support the new set (which I haven't done yet).
    Last edited by helen; September 3, 2016, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

The old cathode ray TVs really do last long. I had a 19" Sony bought in 1992. Shortly after 2005, I wanted to buy a flat screen TV but was in no hurry, so I was waiting for my Sony to break down first. I kept waiting and waiting, but the Sony just wouldn't break down. Finally, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to just go ahead and buy a Samsung 32" HDTV. I placed the old Sony on the sidewalk, in the bulky item area, and someone rescued it within six hours. They got a good TV. I do like the Samsung, though. It makes it a lot easier to read captions for foreign movies or Netflix.

Leave a comment:

• 68-eldo
    replied

I built my first TV from a kit, in 1975. It lasted about 10 years, until I bought a Sony from Hoffman TV in Aiea. That TV turned out to be a returned and repaired unit. I had to fix it again (bad solder joint) and it lasted until about 2010. I bought a Vizio 50 inch. It quit within a year and was replaced under warrantee, by a 55 inch of the same model. It seems to be OK so far. It’s the cable that is the problem now.

Leave a comment:

• Mauibuzz
    replied

Use to be in the TV repair biz until a couple of years ago. The older CRT sets were much more reliable then the current flat screen crap. I have seen the old Hitachi, Toshiba sets last 10-15+ years with no problems. These new ones are lucky to last at least 5 years at best.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

isn't 5 years max the normal 'electronics' lifetime expectancy today?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X