Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [rant] Computer stores on this side of the isle

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    And Kimo, Aaron's kinda a big guy, not quite so little.
    big or lil, I sorry, eh!?

Comment

Actually Aaron, Lowes is still planning on Hilo after seeing the fantastic results Home Depot has enjoyed since grand opening.
      As so I seen, the parking lot is packed all the times I have seen it. The million
      dollar question is where they will build.It will be interesting to see if they build
      on DHHL land as Costco is planning on behind Prince Kuhio.

Office Max isn't as cracked up as it's advertised to be.
      Well I'd sort of have to disagree with you. I bought for 7.00 25 DVD+R's
      after instant rebate last Christmas there. I'm still shooting myself in the foot
      for not buying more than two packs.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Eh Craig. You guys get one Sears in Hilo? With the merger of KMart and Sears, you won't need to have KMart put up another store...just walk into Sears and find Martha Stewart and Joe Boxer!
        As far as I read online the they are going to convert 400 free-standing
        KMart's into a combination Sears/Kmart. I would figure though that
        you will be seeing Kmart products at Sears and visa versa too.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I'd love to see how the Kmart/Sears merger will affect Sears' retail "look". Kmart still has the best prices for those plastic resin molded chairs.

From what I've been told by Home Depot senior management, Lowes will be coming in about the time Costco will be arriving (about 2-years) and both to be located on DHHL lands near Home Depot. There's still lots of open acreage out there behind Home Depot and with the new Hawaii County council looking at possibly making Railroad Avenue an alternate route to Pahoa, that roadway will run right between some major big box retailing.

That Panewa location is prime for major development and I foresee a lot of commercial use in the near future there. I feel however that when you see Schuler or Gentry homes start building tract homes in East Hawaii, only then will we see some major shifting of Oahu's population base to these parts.

The big box retailers have invested millions of dollars in East and West Hawaii. The fact that Home Depot and Wal Mart is thriving in this market and Lowes and Costco planning on entering the East Hawaii retail market tells me that Hilo is prime for a major upsurge in it's local economy.

Also when you look at the fact that local (Honolulu) boy Steve Case has taken over the late Patsy Mink's territory tells me too that Honolulu's economy cannot contain itself geographically anymore on Oahu and that the Big Island is the perfect place for further economic development with it's wide open spaces.

Right now having moved from Honolulu to Keaau made perfect sense to me when I did it. My piece of real estate has doubled in value since buying it just under 2-years ago. I've seen many expatriates from Oahu move to the Puna District and have all experienced the same financial gains that I've had.

I've told my wife when we moved into our home on this desolate area near the ocean that this is exactly how Kahala (in East Honolulu) started out, rural and lots of farming land with dirt roads and look at Kahala now! Where I live lot sizes are one-acre minimum. Now I have neighbors building all around me. Once where there were no homes now there are many nearby.

So what does this have to do with no computer stores on this island? My feeling is that there will soon be one on this island due to exactly my observations I've witnessed since moving here. East Hawaii is still the best bargain for the buck and big box retailers know that and they're coming here.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 25, 2005, 02:21 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

...fact that local (Honolulu) boy Steve Case has taken over the late Patsy Mink's territory...
            Dude - Ed Case. Are you thinking of Killcreek (Stevie Case -Romero's Ex)?
            I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Sorry hmmm Freudian slip?

Comment

No, Steve Case is one of the founders of AOL, ex Punahou grad, son of local Case attorney family, and Ed's cousin.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

That's what I meant when I said Freudian slip...Steve Case to me represents big business with his AOL presence and with cousin Ed representing the outer islands, well you can imagine the writing on the walls...like their landmarked abandoned house in Manoa catching fire mysteriously one year. Aheminsurancejobcoughcoughclearthroat!!!!

Comment

to craig

damn, i had to write to give you an honorary "akamai award" for having so much foresight! damn! i'm envious! good fo you, though!

did you buy it as an investment or are you planning to live there till you kick the aluminum bucket?!?!?!
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

what did I buy?

Comment

craig: what did i buy?

the swedish love device! nah! didn't you write: "Right now having moved from Honolulu to Keaau made perfect sense to me when I did it. My piece of real estate has doubled in value since buying it just under 2-years ago. I've seen many expatriates from Oahu move to the Puna District and have all experienced the same financial gains that I've had...."

i'm referring to your wise property/home investment. man, you doubled your bucks in two years! compare that two a money market account where you'd be lucky if you got 5%!

my hat's off to you!
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

That's what I meant when I said Freudian slip...
                          E kala mai. I posted mine at the same instant that you posted the Freudian Slip item.
                          Blaine
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            No, Steve Case is one of the founders of AOL, ex Punahou grad, son of local Case attorney family, and Ed's cousin.
                            Oooooooh, that Steve Case. I didn't realize he and Ed were related. Creepy.

Comment

I guess I did prosper from all of this...In one sense moving to the Big Island had a positive effect on me financially, but one thing I've found out about living here is the Old Boy Network. At least in Honolulu there was greater scrutiny and that kept a lot of politicians in some check.

One good thing about big business coming to the Big Island is that now issues will be looked at with a stronger microscope levelling the playing field for newbies wanting to do business here instead of fighting the institutions that have protected and kept prices way too high for the locals to appreciate.

Getting back to my property though, when I bought it I considered taking out an equity loan (I bought my house in cash). Had I done that I could have quadrupled my money in the same time span. Hindsight is always 20/20 right!

So is the Big Island still a good deal? YES! There's still a lot of property that is undervalued yet the surge will follow to these locations as the local economy picks up steam. Right now home construction is so backlogged with roof trusses on the 6-month wait list. If you came in as a developer and had your own labor force and supplier you'd make a killing. Even if you were a general contractor or sub doing only roofing you'd be smiling right now.

Here's an inside scoop, Home Depot is looking for good floor installer contractors to do work with them in Hilo. That's how tight the home building market is in East Hawaii right now. That's why Home Depot in Hilo is reaping incredable sales and that's why Lowes has reconsidered it's move here. Had they done so when they originally planned to they would be smiling too.

Once the homes have been built and the consumers moved in, then it's the interior design, appliances, furniture and whatever else to stock a home with businesses will flourish. Right now building material is at a shortage, soon it will be interior design elements and that includes home entertainment and computers. And that brings it all back to this thread header.
                              Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 1, 2005, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Man, it would be cool if there were a reasonably cool furniture retailer here. Trying to find good furniture in hilo (that isn't custom built) is a rough proposition.

Comment

Working...
                                X