Any good local computer stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any good local computer stores?

Alliance Computers at City Square (Dillingham Blvd in Kalihi) is a small hole-in-the-wall, about the same size as Personal Touch Computers. They have a good selection of parts, but I don't think they sell complete systems. I checked their website, but it is apparently still in development -- it has some sort of default computer-store template with dummy data. Still, it's another local small business to go to if you don't like the big guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Alliance Computers at City Square (Dillingham Blvd in Kalihi) is a small hole-in-the-wall, about the same size as Personal Touch Computers. They have a good selection of parts, but I don't think they sell complete systems. I checked their website, but it is apparently still in development -- it has some sort of default computer-store template with dummy data. Still, it's another local small business to go to if you don't like the big guys.
      I went there once, but since it was on a sunday, they were closed.

When I looked inside, the store was full of computer towers/parts.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        But since memory prices are high right now (a half gig of RAM for my computer at the pc2700 speed will cost $100, which was way more than what I paid for last year).

I was able to find a 256MB of PC2100 RAM from them for 43.99. So I have
        one 256MB PC2700 and one 256MB PC2100 on my motherboard.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
          I was able to find a 256MB of PC2100 RAM from them for 43.99. So I have
          one 256MB PC2700 and one 256MB PC2100 on my motherboard.
          Yeah, but then you're running at the slower speed (PC2100).

Comment

I thought you cannot run two different speed memory chips on one motherboard without some conflict? I was running 1Gb of ram on my computer with half from PNY and the other from some other company. My computer actually ran slower at 1Gb than at 512Mb and it had a tendancy to lock up at 1Gb.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I know the owner of Alliance Computers, he's a straight shooter.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                I thought you cannot run two different speed memory chips on one motherboard without some conflict? I was running 1Gb of ram on my computer with half from PNY and the other from some other company. My computer actually ran slower at 1Gb than at 512Mb and it had a tendancy to lock up at 1Gb.
                What are the specs of the two sticks? (and while your at it, what's the specs of your computer hardware?)

But yeah, if you have two different speeds of memory in your computer, the fastest memory will underclock to your slower memory stick's speed.

Comment

Anywhere else?

Somehow, my debit/credit card is declined at all online stores , so I have to use cash to get memory.

I'll try that Alliance computer place (if I can catch a bus other than Route A), and Personal Touch Computers.

Comment

Alliance Computers has their web site running now. It's just a single-page ad listing their parts and prices, but it does the job.

Comment

Alliance Computers has their web site running now. It's just a single-page ad listing their parts and prices, but it does the job.
                      Just like Personal Touch Computer's website before. They also had the ad up, but recently, they had links.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                        Just like Personal Touch Computer's website before. They also had the ad up, but recently, they had links.
                        The prices on both sites are a bit on the high side.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                          I never checked, but it has to be better than compUSA (I've been getting some bad experiences on my own from them, and a small Mom/Pop store might be better than big business.)

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                            What, compared to the Bay Area? I'm sure they are. You've got plenty of competition over there for the consumer tech dollar. Hawai'i is another story...

Comment

What, compared to the Bay Area? I'm sure they are. You've got plenty of competition over there for the consumer tech dollar. Hawai'i is another story...
                              Actually, some of the local mom and pop shops here in the bay area do charge a lot for their hardware as well. Prior to newegg, I used to buy from them. I knew it was more, but the benefit was getting it right then and there.

Comment

Try www.digitalpchawaii.com

They are purely an internet web shop located in Hawaii, with no actual brick and mortar store. They have lower or equal pricing when compared to other online vedors when adding the shipping costs, but they do not have that many products listed right now but you can email them if you need any product not listed.

I just bought a Raidmax Scorpio case for $108. CompUSA charges $119.

Comment

Working...
                                X