Modern Devices You Do Without

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern Devices You Do Without

Definitely no cellphone. I hate the things.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      I don't have a dishwasher either except for one person... me, myself and I... and that is low tech.

Hey Mel, that's three people...unless you're equally divided between thirds. If you want to go really low tech. Try paper plates.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

When the low tech dishwasher is lazy, paper plates are what I use!!! Can't beat adding more junk into our landfill.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          When the low tech dishwasher is lazy, paper plates are what I use!!! Can't beat adding more junk into our landfill.
          You're being very ecological by using the paper plates, Mel. I can't stand the people who use those styrofoam ones which don't degrade (and which also "melt" in the microwave!). I have been known to eat off paper plates myself when too lazy to either hand wash or run the dishwasher to clean plates.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            You're being very ecological by using the paper plates,
            what!?
            Only if he continually reuses them, like a ceramic plate which adds not a whit to the landfills...

Comment

It's a tradeoff. Do you use up water to wash the plate(s), not to mention the utensils and other things you use to prepare the meal or use disposal stuff to save water.

Comment

we have a bit more water than landfill sites.
                and we have a bit more water than expendable forestry to support our incredibly pernicious wasteful habits of our disposable society.
                besides, I do believe we can all learn to be much more sparing in how we wash our dishes, rather than allow gallons to flow to wash one plate.
                Last edited by kimo55; September 17, 2005, 11:23 AM.

Comment

If you have a dog, you can have him "pre-wash" your dishes first.

Comment

I am that dog

Comment

I actually lived with a family who washed their paper plates. One day I came home and the paper plates were drying on the dish rack.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think the Diamond Head brand of paper plates is built really tough so it could survive a wash or two. I can understand washing plastic utensils to be reused, but paper plates, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by mel

In college my roommates never washed dishes, and to avoid adding further to the mess, I'd eat my meals using my hands and paper towels. Since I didn't know how to cook (and still don't now), I made a lot of sandwiches and ate out too much (still guilty of both behaviors), though I'm a little more civilized and use an actual plate these days.

I have never used my dishwasher--don't think I've ever opened the door to the thing! (Afraid to know what's in there now, lol.)

Comment

Working...
                          X