Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has Road Runner internet ?

Originally posted by doc1456
    On Aunty Lynn's computer, the speed it connected at was about 53kbps (53 kilobytes per second), and the last time I did a speed test on a website on my DSL, I clocked in at about 1mbps (1 megabits per second), but that was when I was the only person on the network (but I shut off access to the router for everyone else just incase)

Well thank you for taking the time to post all this information to me...however I am sorry to say that I have no idea what it means.

And about RR's customer satisfaction, here's a local forum that shows similar feels about RR and VZDSL. Also at that forum link, you can check out other internet-related problems (VZDSL has been going up and down for me lately, as you'll see in one of the threads [I'm under the username "y.likebeef"]).

I just read all the posts about how rotten Road Runner is.....geez......first it was sounding not too bad and then after reading all that......RR does not sound good at all. They did not even drop a notice to the customers saying that they need to bring in the modem to exchange for a new one. And that is people that KNOW what they are doing.....I do not know what to do. I still have a few days to decide...maybe.

Oh, and with your computer illiterate problem, pay someone to go to your house and walk you through it. My Mom was like that until I sat for a few hours with her, and now she knows a bit more.

I am starting to think I have a mental block about learning computer terms. Many, many people have tried to explain about computers to me. I have no clue at all. I had the book "Computers for Dummies" and had no idea what any of it meant and I finally threw the book in the trash.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      You're probably too young to remember when modems were first on the market. We thought 128k baud was superfast back then (of course, the alternative...no modem at all...sucked, which is how it was when I got my first dual floppy drive IBM PC) . I still have a 56k modem on my puter to use for the times when Comcast broadband isn't working (quite often, it seems).

The faster the speed, the less productive you become, I think, because the human body can only work at a certain pace. So if the speed at which the data is delivered exceeds the human brain's capacity to comprehend it, why are we asking for more speed all the time? Sometimes it's refreshing to watch the hourglass take a few more seconds to refresh the screen. Since I'm not a gamer, I don't really need the super high speeds that one can attain with broadband most of the time. And if broadband or DSL was so widespread, why hasn't the price for service gone down? What happened to "economies of scale"?

Miulang
      I am older than dirt.....trust me, I can remember when the only computers that were available were room sized ones from IBM. One of my first office jobs was keypunch and computer operator. Hows that for old ? Ha, I bet you do not even know what a key punch is ! Hey I can even remember the name of the computer....Was an IBM Systems 3 Model 10. This is the first PC I have ever had. We got in about five years ago. When any thing happens and it does not work right I get on an instant messenger and ask lots of questions to my poor friends that have finally learned to hide from me at times like that.

For me the slower the speed the dumber I get..sitting here spacing out, waiting for the page to load. I remember when we had dial up I would get so mad at having to wait so long I was hardly ever even on the computer.

Then there is the story of Net Zero......that blunder cost over $500.00. I will spare you the details unless you want to hear about it.

Comment

I had Road Runner from June 2000 until April 2004. It initally had huge problems
        with speed and poor customer service. The latter was the reason why I switched to Verizon Online DSL. You can't beat 3Mbps/768K service for 29.95
        a month . Compare that with Road Runner with 5Mbps/384K for 44.95.

Hawaiian Telcom is going to start up an in-house ISP to handle Verizon Online DSL accounts as far as I understand. There is a 9 month transition period that
        Verizon is handling the billing, Internet etc. The clock started in May 2005.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
          I had Road Runner from June 2000 until April 2004. It initally had huge problems
          with speed and poor customer service. The latter was the reason why I switched to Verizon Online DSL. You can't beat 3Mbps/768K service for 29.95
          a month . Compare that with Road Runner with 5Mbps/384K for 44.95.

Hawaiian Telcom is going to start up an in-house ISP to handle Verizon Online DSL accounts as far as I understand. There is a 9 month transition period that
          Verizon is handling the billing, Internet etc. The clock started in May 2005.
          The more bad things I hear about Road Runner the less I want to get it....still not decided....thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
            The more bad things I hear about Road Runner the less I want to get it....still not decided....thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
            Well depending on the condition of your phone line and your loop length to
            the Central Office/Remote Terminal, Road Runner might be your only choice
            besides dialup .

Granted this is 4 years old it bears reading http://fixrr.com/oldfix.asp
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              Well depending on the condition of your phone line and your loop length to
              the Central Office/Remote Terminal, Road Runner might be your only choice
              besides dialup .

Granted this is 4 years old it bears reading http://fixrr.com/oldfix.asp
              I tried to call Oceanic this morning to get information about their RR service.....they were "experiencing a high volume of calls" so I hung up and thought I will call them tomorrow...However, after reading the site you sent me to....it is sounding more worse than dial up ! Four year old information or not...if they did it to people before, what is to say that they would not do it again, yeah ? I also need to check out this lava net place thououghly. Earth Link is out...they have a time limit on internet connection......never again, 'nough said. I still do not know what the hell we will do. Still reading and trying to decide.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

I've been on Road Runner ever since they started offering it in Honolulu. No complaints here. I'm not quite sure what all the anti-RR sentiment is all about, to be honest.

Comment

My man just explained to me why we have all these charges. Here it is :

When we got DSL service in 2000, it was from GTE. At that time, they had us get an ISP....we got Bizwind. So.....we signed up for all that...took weeks to get it all going..and yeah they mailed us the DSL modem, which is a Fujitsu Speedport. I cannot remember exactly how much they charged for installation. I imagine it was a load.

The DSL was miserable to get it going...took us weeks it I remember correctly. We had to go to the computer store and buy stuff...I do not remember what it was.

So, we have paid, since 2000...monthly fees of :

Bronze DSL from ...first it was GTE, then Verizon, now Hawaiian Tel. $32.50
                  Dial up access (can you believe this ?) @ $19.95
                  Bizwind/Kimchee charges $21.95 a month.
                  And the phone bill on top of all this, too.

Now for this big explanation......as per a very long phone conversation(s),we could have changed over (to what ?) and got rid of Bizwind, and kept the DSL service through Verizon......however we would have been off line for weeks before we got connected back up. They also told my man that for him to keep his current email address, which is XXXXX@gte.net we HAD to keep the dial up bill. So, five years later we are still paying all this...double, triple charges, for what ? This is why I just want to get rid of this land line completely and be rid of the whole bill once and for all. I am still thinking, even after reading all the garbage about how bad RR is....we may get it !

I am totally burned out on all this right now. I want to sincerely thank every one that responded to this post. I will be back tomorrow !!

Comment

holy macarel! you're being royally ripped! i don't know your circumstances but it would make a lot of sense to get in touch with a knowledgeable friend and end the madness. if you don't have a personal friend who can assist you, perhaps you would consider paying doc1456 for some assistance. the sooner you start fresh, the sooner you'll get out from under those bills.
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I have not had any major complaints about RR, except that I do notice certain times when the computer seems slower. I'm in the Aiea area, but don't know if that makes any difference. Maybe lots of users around here.

What I have not liked about RR is having to call and talk to any sort of tech guys. I once was on the phone for about 3 hours with various techs (including mainland techs) and one got rather snitty with me. He was really rather rude and impatient and I should have hung up on him.

Other than that, not too many problems.
                      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
                        So, we have paid, since 2000...monthly fees of :

Bronze DSL from ...first it was GTE, then Verizon, now Hawaiian Tel. $32.50
                        Dial up access (can you believe this ?) @ $19.95
                        Bizwind/Kimchee charges $21.95 a month.
                        And the phone bill on top of all this, too.

Now for this big explanation......as per a very long phone conversation(s),we could have changed over (to what ?) and got rid of Bizwind, and kept the DSL service through Verizon......however we would have been off line for weeks before we got connected back up. They also told my man that for him to keep his current email address, which is XXXXX@gte.net we HAD to keep the dial up bill. So, five years later we are still paying all this...double, triple charges, for what ? This is why I just want to get rid of this land line completely and be rid of the whole bill once and for all. I am still thinking, even after reading all the garbage about how bad RR is....we may get it !
                        So I take it you have at least 2 email addresses, maybe a third. One from the Bizwind, one from the dial up and maybe a third from DSL service from Verizon?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                          as an example and a test, i just went to the blues podcasting site at http://www.roadhousepodcast.com/ and downloaded roadhouse_031.mp3 which is about 41.5 MB; i had a consistent download speed of 400 KB/sec and so downloaded the entire file in about a minute.
                          I just timed that download, and it looks like it took me 4:25 to download that same file at about 157 KB/sec (but then again, I have 2 other computers on the same network as me on the moment). Maybe I'll kick everyone off the network and try again later.
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            So I take it you have at least 2 email addresses, maybe a third. One from the Bizwind, one from the dial up and maybe a third from DSL service from Verizon?
                            I use hotmail and yahoo email accounts. Last night my man explained to me, as best he understand this situation.....about all these charges we pay. He uses gte.net email account. They told him on the phone (when Verizon took over GTE) that to keep that email address he has to keep paying that $19.95 a month. He did not want to change his email address (for reasons unknown to me) so he keeps paying for this dial up, which we cannot even access since we have DSL. When we got DSL it was in 2000. It was GTE then. That is why we have Bizwind, which I guess is called an ISP....and GTE said we had to get an ISP... and then when Verizon took over from GTE we did not change it because they told us that it would take several weeks to change over. None of it makes any sense at all to me. I did not even know that Bizwind or Verizon offers email accounts.

Is Road Runner the only other option we have if we decide to get rid of the land line ? I am really stewing over this and need to make a decision soon. I am so ignorant of computers. I read threads and wonder what they are talking about ! I do not even know enough to ask an intelligent question. I am doing good to be able to set the time on my 1989 clock radio.

Comment

Swan, I'll schedule you an appointment with doc. Look at your email from me! He'll be able to answer and figure out your problem. Stay calm. Help is on it's way. In the mean time come over and use mine till your's is hooked up.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                                Swan, I'll schedule you an appointment with doc. Look at your email from me! He'll be able to answer and figure out your problem. Stay calm. Help is on it's way. In the mean time come over and use mine till your's is hooked up.

Auntie Lynn

I contacted him private message the first day he posted that he will help people. I got his cell # and he has my man's cell #. If I need him, which I am pretty sure I will....I going call him up. So, I can get rid of the land line here and go on from that point I guess.....in a few days. Still undecided about what internet connection we will get. Maybe we will keep the phone. I am lucky to know what year it is, actually..... With all the shuffling around I have been doing. I go looking for stuff and realize it's at the new place already. Kind of fun actually, never a dull moment.

Thank you so much for offering to let me use your computer ! I may take you up on that ! I would not really need to do that, unless we are without service for over a month. If it comes to that, I would have already had internet withdrawals and offed myself. Just kidding....am finding some humor today. I do have a serious internet addition though.

Comment

Working...
                                X