splitter for cable modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitter for cable modem

I recently got a Sony tv tuner/monitor so that the computer can also function as a tv. I called Circuit City about the DVI-D cord which came with the accessories, but the guy said I didn't need it since I had the other analog cord attached. Anyway, I can use the monitor fine for computer use, but still trying to get the tv part working. He said I need to get a splitter for the cable modem and then attach the coaxial cable from that to the monitor/tuner and I should be good to go.

My question (hope it's not dumb!)...If I take off the cable going into the modem so I can put a splitter, will that affect anything...such as, will the modem stop working all of a sudden? I thought there was SOMETHING we were warned about not doing to the road runner system otherwise you'd have to make an appt. and WAIT for them to come get it all runnin' smoothly again.

Thanks much for any advice!! Also, are DVI ports becoming more common these days? My computer doesn't have one.
    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Re: splitter for cable modem

Nothing bad will happen if you disconnect the cable from your cable modem... it just won't be receiving any signal...same as if the cable went out.

Comment

Using a splitter will degrade the signal, but normally not enough to effect service.

I've had a splitter running one cable off to the TV and the other to the cable modem for years, and never had any issue.

Just to be safe, buy the fancy splitter that's a couple bucks more than the normal ones.

*Edit*
      And you will want to power cycle your modem after you unplug it from the coaxle cable.

Just unplug the modem's power source for about a minute, hook everything back up, and plug the power back in once you are done.

Most cable modem issues can be solved by just unplugging the damn things for a couple minutes.
      Last edited by Alarick; September 26, 2005, 03:56 PM.
      Got Absinthe?

Comment

Alarick,
        We got the splitter and coaxial cables set up. Wheee-heee! It's pretty cool having tv and computer at the same time. There was a problem of not enough tvs in the house for everyone, so now that is solved! Plus, this monitor/tuner is in the "family room" right next to the kitchen, so either my mom or I will be able to watch tv while cooking/cleaning.

Thanks for your response. Some of the channels we noticed are slightly fuzzy...rather, not super sharp, but nothing that would make me complain. I LOVE this monitor!

Comment

Thanks Cezanne! We just undid the coaxial cable and said, "We'll see!" And of course we realized that nothing bad happened.

Comment

You really should be using a bi-directional splitter, not the kind you buy from Long's Drugs Camera Department.

Most splitters have a 4-db signal loss at each split whether you use that split or not.

Cheap splitters leak RF and when it comes to bandwidth, that can mean a lot so don't buy the cheap stuff. Good bi-directional splitters can be found at specialty electronic suppliers like Honolulu Electronics in Kakaako. Is Precision Radio still around on S. King Street? They had the really good stuff that Oceanic Cable techies used to go to get some of their cable modem supplies when on the road.

As for the DVI-D cord, keep it because eventually you'll upgrade your video card or will get a computer with DVI-outputs and you'll want that cord at that time. I just picked up a DVI cable when I was at the Salvation Army here in Hilo for a dollar. It was just sitting there all wrapped up as if it were never used along with the old Nintendo controllers and various wall outlet power supplies tangled together in a clump you see thrown in a cardboard box along with the other antiquated electronics on a dusty shelf.

One good thing about your monitor/TV is that it can accept a direct digital signal so the picture will be even sharper when you upgrade your computer/video card to DVI.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              You really should be using a bi-directional splitter, not the kind you buy from Long's Drugs Camera Department.

Most splitters have a 4-db signal loss at each split whether you use that split or not.

Cheap splitters leak RF and when it comes to bandwidth, that can mean a lot so don't buy the cheap stuff. Good bi-directional splitters can be found at specialty electronic suppliers like Honolulu Electronics in Kakaako. Is Precision Radio still around on S. King Street? They had the really good stuff that Oceanic Cable techies used to go to get some of their cable modem supplies when on the road.

As for the DVI-D cord, keep it because eventually you'll upgrade your video card or will get a computer with DVI-outputs and you'll want that cord at that time. I just picked up a DVI cable when I was at the Salvation Army here in Hilo for a dollar. It was just sitting there all wrapped up as if it were never used along with the old Nintendo controllers and various wall outlet power supplies tangled together in a clump you see thrown in a cardboard box along with the other antiquated electronics on a dusty shelf.

One good thing about your monitor/TV is that it can accept a direct digital signal so the picture will be even sharper when you upgrade your computer/video card to DVI.
              Thanks for your input. I just might look into the splitter you mentioned. As for the DVI cord, yah, the Circuit City guy mentioned about holding on to it when our computer eventually gets upgraded. The picture is great now, and I can't imagine it being even better! (Okay, I'm still in the honeymoon phase of having a new "toy.")

Mahalo for your help and advice!

Comment

A typical analog monitor (D-sub connections) each pixel is still scanned laterally one at a time so there's a lot of ghosting and sometimes flickering of the display.

With DVI, all pixels are controlled independantly with no scanning so as the screen refreshes, its not one pixel at a time, it's all pixels WHAM all at one time so your display is sharper with better depth so 3D graphics is intense!

For graphics type work, you'll notice the difference between analog and DVI imediately. It's that much better. But for textwork, you'll probably won't notice much difference.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Even more so if your cats decide it's fun to attack the splitter and loosen the connection
                  Got Absinthe?

Comment

Working...
                  X