Memory handling problem in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory handling problem in XP

Lately, whenever my computer takes up more than 512mb of RAM (using the second stick of RaM), my computer slows down to a crawl.

I have a gig of RAM, with the page file set to 3x that (as recommended to run the system properly), and the problem just started out of the blue. I also have an Itel P4 2.8ghz processor, 120gb SATA and 120gb IDE HDs (not running in a raid), Asus P4p800s se mobo, ATI 9800 128mb graphics card, running WinXP Pro. At the moment, I'm running iTunes, a couple windows of Firefox (version 1.0.6, because I thought it was a FF problem) and in my tray, I'm running Tuneup Memoryoptimizer (doesn't hurt to try, and its been acting like that w/out it running), ZoneAlarm, NOD32, rainlendar, Ad Muncher, LClock, and hoversnap. Before, I could run all of this, plus watch a movie and surf the internet at the same time, without my computer slowing down.

Both RAM sticks were bought within a year of each other, and are the exact same brand.

I'll see if I'm running it in dual channel config, but if not, then how can I solve this problem?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Memory handling problem in XP

Originally posted by doc1456
    Both RAM sticks were bought within a year of each other, and are the exact same brand.
    Are they of the same type of memory? Also what does your system's BIOS detect of the two RAM sticks (or modules)?

Comment

Buying extra RAM annoys me because there are so many different memory formats. I hate to have to remember which format is which. Sometimes I end up pulling the old memory out of the PC and bringing it with me to the store, so I can be sure to get the right kind.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456

I'll see if I'm running it in dual channel config, but if not, then how can I solve this problem?
        The first thing I'd try is resetting the page file size to the usual recommended setting of 1½ times your RAM capacity, which in your case would be 1536 MB. Having differently dated memory sticks bothers me. I'm assuming that you already know that your page file should reside on a different partition than where the OS is installed. The next thing I'd try is to defrag both the OS and page file partitions, and lastly, scan for viruses and spyware. Happy troubleshooting!

Comment

aaahhhh
          the more i read, the more i luuuv my MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            The first thing I'd try is resetting the page file size to the usual recommended setting of 1½ times your RAM capacity, which in your case would be 1536 MB. Having differently dated memory sticks bothers me. I'm assuming that you already know that your page file should reside on a different partition than where the OS is installed. The next thing I'd try is to defrag both the OS and page file partitions, and lastly, scan for viruses and spyware. Happy troubleshooting!
            I'll move the page file to another partition, and defrag.

And about the different dated memory sticks, I originally bought 512mb with the computer, then I got all mod happy, and decided to literally double almost everything I had (optical drives [which now is consolidated into one DVD burner], fans, hard drives, and RAM). Plus, the RAM was cheap, and I knew it'd be temporary.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
            X