Please contact me through my e-mail if you see this. As I've been able
    to get you hooked up with the person that will be able to upgrade your
    DSL connection from frame to ATM.

Aaron
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

I only checked one this time (minutes ago).

Seattle:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-07-11 17:31:38 EST:
      796 / 367
      Your download speed : 796 kbps or 99.5 KB/sec.
      That is 36.8% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 367 kbps or 45.9 KB/sec.
      That is 26.1% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        I only checked one this time (minutes ago).

Seattle:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-07-11 17:31:38 EST:
        796 / 367
        Your download speed : 796 kbps or 99.5 KB/sec.
        That is 36.8% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 367 kbps or 45.9 KB/sec.
        That is 26.1% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net
        Hmmm Steve, I would seriously consider calling up Hawaiian Telcom
        and opening a trouble ticket. As your speeds are still not right ?
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I have a problem with my HawaiianTel DSL connection too. I here in Kapolei, Oahu I get horrible speeds. Heres my test results:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
          Download Connection is:: 564 Kbps about 0.56 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
          Download Speed is:: 69 kB/s
          Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 2)
          Test Time:: 2006/07/11 - 7:37pm
          Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 14.84 sec
          Tested from a 579 kB file and took 8.412 seconds to complete
          Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 27.01 % of your hosts average (hawaiiantel.net)
          D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-KHEL1BFGN
          User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

If anyone has some kind of resolution that would be great. Someone told me to have my connectio rerouted or something but can someone fill me in on the details of that? My guildwars games have me lagging ridiculously ever since I got back from the mainland (yesterday)
          I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON
            I have a problem with my HawaiianTel DSL connection too. I here in Kapolei, Oahu I get horrible speeds. Heres my test results:
            If anyone has some kind of resolution that would be great. Someone told me to have my connectio rerouted or something but can someone fill me in on the details of that? My guildwars games have me lagging ridiculously ever since I got back from the mainland (yesterday)
            Best thing to do is call up Hawaiian Telcom DSL tech support and have a trouble ticket opened
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I am still the slowest one here. I called HawTel on July 9th and the tech told me that they would speed up my connection. I called them back on the 10th and the tech told me that they could upgrade my modem, but I would have to wait for their call back.

Download Speed: 81 kbps (10.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
              Upload Speed: 116 kbps (14.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Comment

Originally posted by primix
                I am still the slowest one here. I called HawTel on July 9th and the tech told me that they would speed up my connection. I called them back on the 10th and the tech told me that they could upgrade my modem, but I would have to wait for their call back.

Download Speed: 81 kbps (10.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
                Upload Speed: 116 kbps (14.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
                My best guess there is something wrong with your connection between
                your location and the central office. Are you having constant disconnects ?
                Are you using a Fujitsu or Westell Modem.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Another funny (peculiar) thing about HawTel DSL: I have two separate phone lines in the house (486 prefix; 488 prefix). The 486 one is good for DSL; the 488 one is not (when you run the number through their "check for availability" test).

As I understand it, distance from switch is the principle for availability, so why would one phone number in the house work and the other not?

I walked in to pay my bill at the Pearlridge office today (they had two extra customer service people at a temporary table to help people who had questions about their bills; fortunately I didn't. They've at least kept my billing right.), so I asked, but of course nobody there had a clue. The person I spoke with suggested I call 611. Haven't done it yet, though.

Comment

Another funny (peculiar) thing about HawTel DSL: I have two separate phone lines in the house (486 prefix; 488 prefix). The 486 one is good for DSL; the 488 one is not (when you run the number through their "check for availability" test).

As I understand it, distance from switch is the principle for availability, so why would one phone number in the house work and the other not?

Yes you are right Steve, but I suspect the path the one phone line takes
                    is longer than the other one from the Central Office. Hence why DSL is
                    not available on one line, but available on the other.

I checked both prefixes they are housed in the Aiea CO.
                    http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo/clli/AIEAHICO/
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

LA Server:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-07-12 03:27:57 EST:
                      856 / 374
                      Your download speed : 856 kbps or 107 KB/sec.
                      That is 32.5% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 374 kbps or 46.7 KB/sec.
                      That is 25.3% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Do I have to hold on the phone for a while to get a trouble ticket established?

Comment

Steve, can you do me a favor (along with others who are having problems)
                        please post your speedtest results from http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/.
                        It is a speedtest site at UH Manoa (and very accurate). If you can get
                        rated speeds there, then its less likely something is wrong with your local
                        configuration.

As for a trouble ticket, I would presume you'll have to wait to talk to a live person

Edit: Rated Speeds :

1.5Mbps=1200kbps
                        3.0Mbps=2500kbps
                        Last edited by Konaguy; July 11, 2006, 09:37 PM.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Well my connection is back up to speed after putting in a trouble call to Hawaiian Telcom this morning. Not sure what they did (haven't heard back yet) but i just tested my connection with testmy.net and got this:

Download Connection is:: 550 Kbps about 0.55 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
                          Download Speed is:: 67 kB/s
                          Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 1)
                          Test Time:: 2006/07/12 - 12:20am
                          Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 15.28 sec
                          Tested from a 579 kB file and took 8.625 seconds to complete
                          Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 26.62 % of your hosts average (hawaiiantel.net)

The irony is, before the slowdown my uploads maxed out between 500-700 kbps and i was a happy camper. Since the slowdown, i've learned what kind of speed everyone else is getting (2000 kbps!!) and i'm sad...so sad.

Well, it's better than the 70 kbps i was enduring the past week and hopefull a re-provisioning of my connection to ATM is possible. Thanks again Konaguy.

Good luck to all. Greg

Comment

Originally posted by futless
                            Well, it's better than the 70 kbps i was enduring the past week and hopefull a re-provisioning of my connection to ATM is possible. Thanks again Konaguy.
                            Absolutely no problem, I just wanted to do a good deed today ...I guess
                            I did. Greg, if you have a chance could you do a speedtest here
                            http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/. I'd like to see your results.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Nope. I got a human being right away, no wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                                Absolutely no problem, I just wanted to do a good deed today ...I guess
                                I did. Greg, if you have a chance could you do a speedtest here
                                http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/. I'd like to see your results.
                                Even faster!

Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
                                click START to begin
                                Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
                                running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 172.14Kb/s
                                running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 658.05kb/s
                                Your Workstation is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
                                Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Edit.
                                Second test with more info.

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
                                Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
                                running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 172.24Kb/s
                                running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 677.09kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
                                OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = ppc, Version = 10.3.9
                                Java data: Vendor = Apple Computer, Inc., Version = 1.4.2_09

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
                                Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
                                Link set to Full Duplex mode
                                Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
                                Good network cable(s) found
                                Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 275.16 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and
                                There were 39 packets retransmitted, 90 duplicate acks received, and 0 SACK blocks received
                                The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
                                The connection was idle 0.51 seconds (5.10%) of the time
                                This connection is network limited 99.66% of the time.
                                Contact your local network administrator to report a network problem
                                Contact your local network admin and report excessive packet reordering

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
                                RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: OFF
                                RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
                                RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
                                RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
                                RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
                                Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
                                Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
                                Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
                                Server says [72.234.149.123] but Client says [10.0.1.2]
                                Last edited by futless; July 11, 2006, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X