Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Interesting. Undercuts the comparable service bundle from Oceanic Time Warner. But to clarify, when you write "Landline" for Oceanic, you're talking about their VOIP product, right? Far as I know, Oceanic doesn't run any wire into the home. So the advantage Hawaiian Telcom retains is phone service independent of network and some power problems.
    I made a typo Yes Oceanic's telephone service isn't technically a landline
    service. But not everyone knows what VoIP is ?

Here is the promo page at HawTel link
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Interesting. Undercuts the comparable service bundle from Oceanic Time Warner. But to clarify, when you write "Landline" for Oceanic, you're talking about their VOIP product, right? Far as I know, Oceanic doesn't run any wire into the home. So the advantage Hawaiian Telcom retains is phone service independent of network and some power problems.
      Time Warner doesn't use true VOIP it's like a hybrid, it's traffic is carried on a private network and interfaces with the PSTN, but it's never carried over the public internet. also the Cable modem that provides digital phone has battery backup capabilities in it, so your phone will work in a power outage as long as you're not using a cordless phone and the cable nodes don't lose power either.
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Good to know, LocalMotion, thanks. I knew there was a hardware component to Oceanic's digital phone offering, but didn't know it was something different at the architecture level, a "hybrid" that isn't just Skype with a fancy handset.

Does the battery in the battery operated phone modem support the data side as well (if we have laptops or giant UPSes)? Or is it primarily to keep the phone or its memory live?

Comment

Does the battery in the battery operated phone modem support the data side as well (if we have laptops or giant UPSes)? Or is it primarily to keep the phone or its memory live?
          yeah if you had a laptop or UPS i believe the data would be working as well. i believe the battery only last about 8hrs standby, but that should be plenty in case of power outage.
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
            Time Warner doesn't use true VOIP it's like a hybrid, it's traffic is carried on a private network and interfaces with the PSTN, but it's never carried over the public internet. also the Cable modem that provides digital phone has battery backup capabilities in it, so your phone will work in a power outage as long as you're not using a cordless phone and the cable nodes don't lose power either.
            It is my understanding that during the PUC application process, Oceanic
            didn't apply for carrier grade service. As they didn't want to be required
            to have backup power at each node. Carrier grade service is like Hawaiian
            Tel's landline service- HawTel has backup power at the central offices.

To me, I like the thought of your phone line working in an event of a power outage.
            It seems with Oceanic's digital phone, there is too many variables.

On a related note, in the recent past, whenever I called up Oceanic in regards
            to our cable tv service, they'd try to pitch digital phone to me. I tell the person
            Oh I like my DSL, it is my understanding both can't co-exist. That shuts them up
            real quickly
            Last edited by Konaguy; October 4, 2006, 09:09 PM.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Anyone know if there's a system status blog or page? Or the voice-response shortcuts to a recording? No DSL this morning (release renew gets zilch), and want to know if it's just me.

Comment

Anyone know if there's a system status blog or page? Or the voice-response shortcuts to a recording? No DSL this morning (release renew gets zilch), and want to know if it's just me.
                Not aware of any such page. It could be localized, hence not voice-response
                system status ? I did send a suggestion to them to create a system status page.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Well, I don't know the full scope, but apparently lots of folks are offline after a planned network upgrage went awry early this morning. (Of all things, it was postponed to a business day 'cause it couldn't happen on Friday the 13th as originally planned.)

They're actually trying to revert, but even that isn't going well. Calling in some big guns.

Some large customers have been offline since 2 a.m., and the latest ETA is maybe noon. I'd hate to be in their NOC today...

Comment

Strange, I'm having no problems here with my HawTel DSL. It has been flawless
                    as of late. It must be an Oahu thing ?
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

No problems here either. I've been home sick so I've been using it.

I think the upgrade was for the mail servers, but I don't use HawaiianTel for my primary mail service.

Make sure you power cycle the modem. Release/renew isn't enough if the modem itself has crashed.

Comment

I had gotten e-mail from HawTel stating the mail server upgrades have been delayed about two days ago. But I discarded it thinking it wasn't that important.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

At least I wasn't imagining things!

Glitch knocks out Hawaiian Telcom's Internet service
                          More than a fourth of Hawaiian Telcom's high-speed Internet subscribers lost service for hours yesterday following a glitch related to an attempted software update. Although Hawaiian Telcom had restored service to its 40 affected business customers by 10:45 a.m., the company expected it would take all day and much of the evening yesterday to restore service to all of the 25,000 residential customers who lost it, said Dan Smith, Hawaiian Telcom's vice president for corporate communications.

Comment

They took 20 hours to fix the problem. I called, and tech support said it was a router problem on their end. It affected your service only if you were on a particular router, and those affected were scattered throughout the state.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Well, 25,000 residential customers and 40 businesses is hardly "isolated." And since it looks like they had to revert the sytem, it means they're going to have to try again eventually. I imagine they're going to be a bit hesitant, next time, and perhaps be a little less smug about staying online on Sunday.

Comment

Has anyone on O'ahu get there DSL Internet service back online yet? I tried this morning but it was still offline, anyone else here had there internet cut-off yesterday morning? I called Hawaiin Telcom yesterday and heard their automated message about the outage.

Comment

Working...
                                X