Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Once again, you've brightened a nerd's day!
    No problem. I knew immediately what the problem was (and the temporary workaround). As far as I understand, they are working on it.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks for the info Aaron, but you may as well have given me Hebrew to read because I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Thanks for the info Aaron, but you may as well have given me Hebrew to read because I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.
        DNS=Domain Name Server. In laymans terms its like the phone book. It translates between the URL to the IP address. Which all traffic on the Internet use.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          It sounds like a DNS issue. I personally have not noticed any problems reaching sites. As I use TreeWalk DNS. Another
          option is OpenDNS
          I told my brother about the problem (since he uses the connection) and he said it was that there's too may users on at the same time. Maybe there's a breaking point for DSL, and HawaiianTel will just need to give more bandwidth?

I don't know. Its hard for me to stay passionate about this problem, since I got my own connection.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            I was thinking Swahili but, yah, Hebrew works too! It's all Greek to me!

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
              I told my brother about the problem (since he uses the connection) and he said it was that there's too may users on at the same time. Maybe there's a breaking point for DSL, and HawaiianTel will just need to give more bandwidth?I don't know. Its hard for me to stay passionate about this problem, since I got my own connection.
              I was told they were having a problem with one of their backbone circuits to the mainland. But the symptoms being mentioned, squarely say they were having a domain name server problem. Trust me, HawTel has plenty of bandwidth to the mainland.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I just signed up for the current deal: $10 for 3 months then $30 / month for the remaining 9 months of a year contract; no installation charge; Westell 327W modem (wireless). According to the CSR, if I had gotten a wired Westell model, I would not have needed the year's contract.

There was some confusion about the modem. I had to be persistent to get the 327W. The wireless connection now seems to be working ok with my wife's laptop running XP, with WEP 128 bit encryption turned on. Speed is not so hot, so far. Top is supposedly 3360K down / 800 up. The speakeasy test gave me 2677K down / 489K up. NDT gave 2580K down / 640K up.
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                  Speed is not so hot, so far. Top is supposedly 3360K down / 800 up. The speakeasy test gave me 2677K down / 489K up. NDT gave 2580K down / 640K up.
                  That is pretty normal speeds for a 3Mbps/768K circuit both here and the mainland. The 3360/800 is what your circuit between your house and the DSLAM is provisioned at. It is purposely higher than 3Mbps/768K to take into account TCP overhead. If you get 75-80% of your provisioned speed you are doing great.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

so i did a random dslreports test and come to find out my connection is 445/706?!?!? wtf? is something up with hawaiiantel?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by amig View Post
                      so i did a random dslreports test and come to find out my connection is 445/706?!?!? wtf? is something up with hawaiiantel?

thanks
                      Try http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/.It is located at UH Manoa,so it should give the most accurate reading of your DSL connection. Also I would stay
                      away from doing speed test from sites on the East Coast or anywhere besides the West Coast.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Try http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/.It is located at UH Manoa,so it should give the most accurate reading of your DSL connection. Also I would stay
                        away from doing speed test from sites on the East Coast or anywhere besides the West Coast.
                        ahh it says not found im guessing its down?

Comment

Originally posted by amig View Post
                          ahh it says not found im guessing its down?
                          I just checked it now, it loaded fine here in Kona.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I just checked it now, it loaded fine here in Kona.
                            i see i just had to take out the .IT part

Comment

• HawaiianTelcom DSL

Just got online. Holy c--p it's fast. Can't believe that we stayed with dialup for so long.

Comment

• Re: HawaiianTelcom DSL

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                                Just got online. Holy c--p it's fast. Can't believe that we stayed with dialup for so long.
                                Yup broadband is sweet . I've had it since 2000.
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X