Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No iPod for Christmas, just mystery meat

Source

It was an iPod video, or so they thought.

"This is what he opened it up to -- no iPod," says Cambra.

No iPod, she says, just a mystery meat.
    And here's another source, but I added the KHON2 link for the localness (and if anyone notices, the second link is to ABC news, while the first is to a FOX affiliate.)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: No iPod for Christmas, just mystery meat

Somewhere in this world there's an iPod in a can of Spam...

Comment

and somewhere in this world someone is stuffing Spam in there ears thinking they were ear buds
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Boy, this story is making the rounds. Slashdot, Engadget/Gizmodo, forums and blogs everywhere.

Thing is, this sort of thing is pretty common.

People will frequently buy a product, put {x} in the box and seal it, and return it for a refund. On a busy shopping day, the product might be taken back without being checked, and even put back on the shelf. Voila, someone who wanted a new stereo gets a box with a giant brick in it. Bars of soap are also common stand-ins for technology gear.

The question is, in this and other cases, is the person reporting the case the victim of someone who worked at the store, of someone who scammed the store, or even the scammer. The fact that the customer in this case was also an employee certainly makes it unusual.

And did anyone see this on KHON? Why does the story say "a mystery meat"? Was it really just a random piece of meat? Was it Spam and they just don't want to call it that? As this story explodes across the internet, it's being assumed that the item inside the box was a can of Spam... but a can of Spam wouldn't fit in the box for the newest iPods.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          And did anyone see this on KHON? Why does the story say "a mystery meat"? Was it really just a random piece of meat? Was it Spam and they just don't want to call it that? As this story explodes across the internet, it's being assumed that the item inside the box was a can of Spam... but a can of Spam wouldn't fit in the box for the newest iPods.
          I got my wife an iPod for Christmas (man I want one too now)... opening the box, the unit is set in a cavity that looks like a piece of Spam (the size one would use for Spam musubi) could fit perfectly inside. But no, the report didn't say spam, I just associated "mystery meat" with Spam... doesn't everone?

Comment

Here's more info:

Cambra said the box was sealed and that it didn't appear to have been tampered with when she brought it home from the Honolulu Wal-Mart where she works.

An investigation found that a former employee apparently tampered with a shipment of iPods and put the meat into several packages.

The former employee now faces tampering charges, Local 6 News reported.
            What I want to know, is why a mainland news station have more info than one that is just yards away from the walmart store? (I'm talking about KGMB and KHON.)
            Last edited by adrian; December 30, 2005, 07:07 PM.

Comment

[...]
              I did! At least I think it was KHON! Regardless, it was a local station. The 'meat' looked like a package of smoked salmon, sealed in plastic kine. I didn't see a can of Spam.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                I did! At least I think it was KHON!
                here's proof!!

Comment

Was it really just a random piece of meat? Was it Spam and they just don't want to call it that?
                  practice random meat and senseless acts of spam!
                  (until you are good at it and don't need to practice.)

Comment

At least there was "meat" in that box! I remember many years ago when the Macs first came out, that the future CEO of a company I used to work for had ordered a whole slew of Macs for his office. When the boxes were delivered and opened, one was empty! No Spam, no smoked salmon, nothing. Obviously, someone in the warehouse thought it would be neat to have a new computer (actually the cops figured out that the culprit stole the computer to sell it for the cash). What would that person have had to stick in that Mac box to make it weigh what that Mac weighed? A 20 lb turkey?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X