Blackouts And Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackouts And Computers

BLACKOUTS AND COMPUTERS do not mix. If HECO is going to keep having them I suggest you invest in a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). I get too many computers with blown power supplies come in for repair after every blackout. 11 just from yesterdays blackout. Many customers want to file with HECO but I tell them it is a waste of time. I had to do it more than once and never got anywhere. So it is a lot safer if you go out and buy a UPS for your computer. A surge protector wont do squat to prevent a blown power supply. The biggest headache is most of the computers that came in are DELL, SONY and GATEWAY with proprietary power supplies which have to be ordered. we can only fix a few of them but it is such a hassle, sometimes parts are not available!

Re: Blackouts And Computers

Thanks for this info, Speedtek. I notice that UPSs are priced anywhere from $30. to $1000. Obviously, the more expensive have more features. But, do you have any recommendations for the average household?

Also, as mentioned in another thread, if, during a blackout, a computer is powered off (not in sleep mode) but still connected to a non-UPS power source (wall or power strip/surge protecter) and power is restored, can the computer be affected by the surge? Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

Mahalo in advance. I know you have other, way more important, issues on your mind right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Also, as mentionen another thread, if, during a blackout, a computer is powered off (not in sleep mode) but still connected to a non-UPS power source (wall or power strip/surge protecter) and power is restored, can the computer be affected by the surge? Inquiring minds wanna know!!!

I think it would, especially of you have ATX motherboard.
      Unknowingly my Compaq Presario was powered up even though
      the computer was off. I didn't find out why the light on my
      computers power supply was constantly on until the power
      supply failed (thus frying my Mobo). On my new custom built
      computer, the power supply has a on/off switch. Which I always
      turn off.Even though its behind a UPS. As I suspect why my
      Compaq prematurely failed was because the power supply was
      on 24-7. I don't want that to happen again.
      Last edited by Konaguy; June 4, 2006, 09:06 AM.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I have a UPS/surge protector from APC that has about 15 minutes of power backup. It cost about $60, I think. That is plugged into a powerstrip/line conditioner which is plugged into the wall. I always power down my computer and turn off the power to the UPS when I'm done.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, Miulang and Konaguy.

Mac power adapters don't have on/off switches. However, with my laptops I always disconnect the power cord if the computer's not in use...unless I'm recharging the battery. I don't disconnect the desktop. I should! To err on the side of safety, I think I'll make sure all computers are unplugged whenever I leave the office or home. Remembering to do that is a different story!

Hey Konaguy...I'm trying to figure out, when you quoted my post for your reply, how the word "mentioned" took on a new spelling?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            Hey Konaguy...I'm trying to figure out, when you quoted my post for your reply, how the word "mentioned" took on a new spelling?
            I think something got lost in translation Sorry I couldn't resist
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I got an APC UPS that is supposed to be able to shut down my computer if it happens to be on when the power goes off. I don't usually leave my computers on overnight but I do leave it on and then leave my office for a couple few hours occasionally.

Comment

hi everyone,

just wanted to say that i truely believe in ups-s.

a cheap alternative to have instead of replacing a power supply, motherboard, ram, or whatever else gets killed when power is reapplied to a building... not to mention the possibility of losing data.

and, if you can't replace the parts yourself you'll be paying for labor, too.

and don't forget a ups for the fishtank - the little guys will thank you for it!!!

joel

Comment

I also have a UPS, but I wasn't pissed that I didn't have a computer (I had my laptop) it was the aftermath, as my routers was screwed (either that, or Hawaiian Telcom's system was screwed). I didn't have more than 3 hours of service for a few days this weekend.
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Yes, the Uninterruptible Power Supply is a very good thing.

Provided it doesn't get interrupted.

Whatever kind they had, don't get that one. But you should still get one.

Comment

Awesome advice, Speedtek. I just wanted to add that if you do get a UPS, there are two kinds:

1. The computer is plugged into the UPS and runs off the UPS' battery, which is charged up continually by the wall outlet.

2. The computer is plugged into the UPS but is running off the power from your wall outlet. The UPS only feeds power after the power from the wall outlet goes out.

I'm not sure that the 2nd type is made anymore, but make sure to get the first kind. The 2nd kind reacts too slowly to prevent damage to your computer.

Comment

i just use a surge protector. i got tired of replacing the ups or batteries when the batteries failed.

Comment

Tonight the power went out at my house. Luckily I have a APC UPS,
                          as it was able to gracefully shutdown my computer. At first I thought
                          the UPS was malfunctioning. Then I tried turning on the lights
                          and saw that the power was indeed out. Anyway the best 50.000
                          I spent on anything was for that APC UPS.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X