Microsoft Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Experience

They stopped distributing the beta version? Last week I ordered five DVD-ROM disks. I figured I'd rather have a DVD version rather than downloading it. It's in the mail so when it comes in I'll give it a try.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      They stopped distributing the beta version? Last week I ordered five DVD-ROM disks. I figured I'd rather have a DVD version rather than downloading it. It's in the mail so when it comes in I'll give it a try.
      I believe so (either that, or it was a rumor or something).

And why would you get FIVE Window Vista discs?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        I believe so (either that, or it was a rumor or something).

And why would you get FIVE Window Vista discs?
        If you plan on installing on five different computers, you'll need a seperate key for each.

At least that's what you should do if you want to follow the Microsoft EULA.

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
          If you plan on installing on five different computers, you'll need a seperate key for each.

At least that's what you should do if you want to follow the Microsoft EULA.
          But its in BETA! Plus, it'll all expire sometime in July of next year (hopefully after MS releases it for sale)

And now my friends want to use my copy of Vista. Obviously I won't do that because of the EULA stuff yadda... but also they think that its THE new OS from MS and that they should upgrade to it.

Oh, and the User Access Control thing is getting on my nerves. I install eTrust EZ antivirus for Vista, and the UAC is popping up everytime I restart Windows. Also, its hard to navigate the directory to save a file in a different place, but I like the breadcrumb-like address bar. Even though I just installed it a few hours ago, I feel that MS is going somewhere with this OS and I expect a lot more surprises coming the next few months.
          Last edited by adrian; June 30, 2006, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I didn't know Beta versions expired. That's okay the price was cheap enough. Oh well I guess I'll four extra copies to send out to anyone who wants it. You sure it expires?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I didn't know Beta versions expired. That's okay the price was cheap enough. Oh well I guess I'll four extra copies to send out to anyone who wants it. You sure it expires?
              I have a developer account with M$, and here's what I found out.

Each key is good for 10 PC's.

I can't find out any concrete info that the beta will expire, but if it's like the XP beta's, eventually, you won't be able to use windows update to get os patches.

If you've downloaded the Office 2007 beta, that one will expire on Feb 1, 2007.

Comment

May 31st 2007 is when the Beta of Windows Vista expires.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2717&SiteID=17
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Those beta licenses will expire before the consumer/OEM version of Vista is released. They announced last week that only the business version was still on schedule (due to be released around the end of the year) but due to unforeseen problems, the consumer version will not be available until sometime in the summer. And they have officially stopped supporting Win98 as of yesterday (June 30).

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    but due to unforeseen problems, the consumer version will not be available until sometime in the summer.
                    They better make upgrading darn cheap then. Delays, delays...

There's a joke in some tech communities that when Vista does get shipped, Apple will have release Mac OS 11

Comment

Well, in other news... MS demos Vista on a MBP!

Comment

Microsoft Vista

As corporate vice president for Microsoft's STU (Security Technology Unit), it is Fathi's responsibility to deliver on Vista's security promise, and Rutkowska's claim—complete with live demo—that a key anti-rootkit feature can be easily defeated could be a public relations nightmare.

But Fathi was unperturbed. Almost unnoticed in the crowd, he paid close attention to Rutkowska's slides and didn't even flinch when the room erupted in applause as the demo succeeded in loading unsigned code into Vista Beta 2 kernel (x64), without requiring a reboot.
                        More @ the source
                        Now, why would we upgrade to vista?

Comment

Re: MS Watches as Vista Gets '0wn3d' by Rootkit

which one will happen first, Redmond releases Vista, or Washington call for troop withdrawl from Iraq?

Comment

Could have been worse. Could have been pwn3d.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh, scriv, you're so l33t...

Man. On one hand, getting all excited about hacking an operating system that's not done yet seems a bit premature. On the other, you'd think that if there was any aspect of the OS to follow Windows that deserved the most and earliest attention, it'd be security.

That this was demonstrated and widely publicized means, at least, that this specific exploit will hopefully be plugged when Vista is released. But given that other things keep pushing that date back, at some point there are going to be holes discovered that'll probably just be left to a subsequent Service Pack to fix.

Comment

Microsoft Vista

Credit goes to Digg.com

http://www.microsoft.com/india/offers/vista/quiz.aspx

Answers:
                                1.Vista
                                2.Clarity
                                3.November 2006
                                4.True
                                5.Aero
                                6.All
                                7.All
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...