Microsoft Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Vista

I've started to hear some buzz about Vista, so I went to the Microsoft site and found this little widget: an MS program which evaluates your current system to tell you whether your XP computer can run Vista.

I might try it over the weekend, but not tonight.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

Source

The crack for Windows Vista (which is called "Vista BillGates") is not a true crack, as it replaces components from the final version of the operating system with those from earlier betas. This allows the would-be pirate to use a product key that worked with Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1, or RC2, with the Gold release of the operating system. This allows the OS to be activated normally over the Internet, but does not bypass the activation system itself. Microsoft had made these earlier betas available to the public on a limited basis.
      Pirates: 1. Microsoft: 0

A repeat of Windows XP anyone?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
        Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

Source
        Uh, since components came from beta, wouldn't they expire at some point? So unless you want to keep your time clock in 2006 forever...

Comment

The corporate version of Vista officially went on sale today. The consumer version is set to launch on Jan. 30. Big yawn from most of the corporate world over this new release.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Called "Windows Vista All Versions Activation 21.11.06", the key reportedly unlocks any version of Vista. Sounds great for pirates, right? Maybe it is, depending where you stand on software piracy.

Those who download "Windows Vista All Versions Activation 21.11.06" will end up with anything but a cracked version of Vista. The file is neither a crack nor key generator, but it is a trojan installer that installs the malware known as "Trojan-PSW.Win32.LdPinch.aze." According to APC Magazine, most antivirus scanners will recognize the trojan, but NOD32 and Norton's latest signatures do not.
            Source

Whoever does this, they wouldn't be using Norton in the first place (unless they're a noob) but I'm worried that NOD32 didn't detect this virus (hopefully the update that was recently installed a few seconds ago will detect it).

Dell offers factory installation for Vista

Hardware giant Dell has responded to the launch of Microsoft’s Windows Vista by offering factory installation to speed business adoption of the new operating system.
            I just hope that I won't get any calls from vista business owners asking to fix their computer.

Comment

Another reason why I wait a year after release to upgrade.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

If you plan on upgrading to Vista, here are some things you should check out before doing it.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

More notes from the field...if you're planning to upgrade to Vista from an older release, DON'T use the upgrade feature! At least until they get the bugs ironed out of the upgrade process, it's better to start with a clean hard drive (and it's a good way to force you to back up all your important stuff that you've been meaning to back up )

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    (and it's a good way to force you to back up all your important stuff that you've been meaning to back up )
                    Or just use a new partition, or buy a new hard drive...

At the rate this is going, I don't think I'll get to vista until blackcomb will come out.

Comment

I gave my last copy of Vista RC1 to another friend (had eight all together thanks to MS's double shipment), because he wanted to see what all the hype was before purchasing it.

He loaded it up and realized he had a problem when he discovered that his Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse wasn't supported by Vista. DOH!!!

That's not a good sign if a Microsoft product isn't supported by another Microsoft product...can you imagine third party software?

I'll stick to XP for a while.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I gave my last copy of Vista RC1 to another friend (had eight all together thanks to MS's double shipment), because he wanted to see what all the hype was before purchasing it.

He loaded it up and realized he had a problem when he discovered that his Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse wasn't supported by Vista. DOH!!!

That's not a good sign if a Microsoft product isn't supported by another Microsoft product...can you imagine third party software?

I'll stick to XP for a while.
                        Yeah, that report I cited above from a user did say he encountered "driver problems" but didn't say what those problems were exactly. But it's good to know that there is an issue with driver compatibility and wireless keyboards and meece. So when I upgrade to Vista (I get a free upgrade because I just bought another XP license), I won't throw out my corded keyboard and mouse yet, and I have a whole clean new HD to load the OS on so I won't run into upgrading problems, either.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                          I just hope that I won't get any calls from vista business owners asking to fix their computer.
                          Welcome to the world of computer servicing, Doc. You get to learn a new OS every few years. If you're lucky, you'll get a class in it. Otherwise, it's "Special High Intensity Training" time.

Comment

Once you learn Special High Intensity Training, it's all downhill after that.

I'll just wait until Vista for Dummies comes out in print.

But Adrian, I think having one computer running on Vista may be necessary. I'll be building a system specifically for Vista in the next few months just so I'll be on top of this OS so when it comes to phone troubleshooting I'll be able to walk a person thru it.

Comment

For those who don't get the joke, google "Special High Intensity Training".

It was a challenge when I was younger, but now I'm just too old to put up with that .... well, you figure out the acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                For those who don't get the joke, google "Special High Intensity Training".

It was a challenge when I was younger, but now I'm just too old to put up with that .... well, you figure out the acronym.
                                Okay here's the memo from DA BOSS:

In order to assure the highest level of quality work and productivity from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees well trained through our program of Special High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T). We are trying to give employees more S.H.I.T than anyone else. If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T on the job, please see the manager. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T list, and our managers are especially skilled at seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T you can handle.

Employees who do not take their S.H.I.T will be placed in Departmental Employee Evaluation Programs (D.E.E.P S.H.I.T.) Those who fail to take D.E.E.P S.H.I.T. seriously will have to go to Employee Attitude Training (E.A.T S.H.I.T)

Since our managers took S.H.I.T, before they were promoted, they do not have to do S.H.I.T anymore, as they are full of S.H.I.T already. If you are full of S.H.I.T, you may be interested in a job training others. We can add your name to our Basic Understanding Lecture List (B.U.L.L S.H.I.T) Those who are full of B.U.L.L S.H.I.T will get the S.H.I.T jobs, and can apply for promotion to Director of Intensity Programming (D.I.P S.H.I.T).

If you have further questions, please direct them to our Head of Training Special High Intensity Training (H.O.T S.H.I.T)

Thank you

Boss in General

(B.I.G S.H.I.T)

Comment

Working...
                                X