Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Vista

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Like I asked in another thread regarding the upgrade form, what qualifies a person to be an authorized system builder? The upgrade form indicates that you need a copy of the sales receipt from an authorized system builder as proof of purchase for the upgrade.

On this last order from NewEgg last week for WinXP Home OEM, included was the upgrade form (cannot be duplicated as they are serial numbered). Because I built this system myself, I am technically the system builder but am I the "authorized" system builder? I would assume so and in that case would a sales receipt from myself work?
    Gosh, I just do not know the answer to that Craig. Not sure if you looked up information but perhaps this link may help?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Comment

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

From Vista’s EULA found here
      13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.
      For many people this may not be a problem, but it’s a change from earlier versions of Windows.
      Source
      I'm officially not upgradng to Vista until Fiji (Vista's service pack) is coming out, or I get the OEM version!

Microsoft is really doing a bad job lately. Sure, they got the Xbox360 down, but the Zune and now Vista is really showing "their true colors"
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

I am absolutely staying away from Vista on my current machine running MCE 2005.

I don't like upgrades at all. Get the OEM or the full blown package as upgrades always have some problem.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

At home I have no plans for Vista to ever see the light of day on any of my machines (only one of them is a candidate anyway, a dual-boot OSX and XP that I use for tele-work on the Windows side). At work we're considering it just 'cause it's the management has to worry about licensing headaches and we are thinking of doing compatability testing with our stuff on it. Not a lot of choice after a couple of years since customers will be using it.

Comment

I probably won't see vista unless I buy a new comp with it pre-installed. I'm not a fan of eye-candy, and that seems to be all vista is offering, at least all that anyone cares about other than the DRM. Besides that, I use Linux for just about everything now. I would completely drop Windows if I could get Photoshop to run on Linux, but alas when ever I need to design I'm stuck booting into Windows.
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

I won't touch Vista for a couple of years. Pretty, yes, and pretty expensive. That about sums it up. No significant advantages, only DRM headaches. Dvorak just earned extra points in my book for his article on Vista. He's actually suggesting trying out Linux. Hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Microsoft is moving its OS toward Apple.
                That started with Windows 3.0/3.1. Even terms like "control panel" was an obvious copy.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  That started with Windows 3.0/3.1. Even terms like "control panel" was an obvious copy.
                  Remember Apple got their fantastic idea of a GUI from Xerox. Apple's not the innovator here.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Sure but they never put their GUI computer on the market. They weren't smart enough to sue earlier too.

Comment

• Vista can't play back iTunes

According to Apple, some computers which have upgraded to Vista 1.0 will be unable to play back iTunes loaded onto the PCs without a patch. Can you say, duh? Anyone who wants to play back iTunes downloaded onto their PCs will need to also download a patch provided by Apple. Don't know if it impacts all versions of Vista or only certain (i.e., the cheaper) versions. Apple recommends that PC users (both Mac and MS) not upgrade to Vista until the release of a new version of iTunes software, which is due within the next couple of weeks.

Some of the issues reported by users:
                      - iTunes Store purchases may not play when upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows 2000 or XP
                      - iPod models with the 'Enable Disk Use' option turned off may be unable to update or restore iPod software, and make changes to iPod settings
                      - iPod models configured to Auto Sync and have the 'Enable Disk Use' option turned off may require being ejected and reconnected to resync
                      - Ejecting an iPod from the Windows System Tray using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' feature may corrupt your iPod. To always safely eject an iPod, choose Eject iPod from the Controls menu within iTunes
                      - Cover Flow animation may be slower than expected
                      - Contacts and calendars will not sync with iPod

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; February 3, 2007, 08:51 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                        Source
                        I'm officially not upgradng to Vista until Fiji (Vista's service pack) is coming out, or I get the OEM version!

Microsoft is really doing a bad job lately. Sure, they got the Xbox360 down, but the Zune and now Vista is really showing "their true colors"

From what I was reading the other day this isn't necessarily true, That is to say a similar clause has been in every license agreement since 98 and that it will not actually invalidate your key in any way, but that you are not supposed to use that key to install xp on another comp. sorry I don't have the link for the article any more
                        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

• Disappearing features

Microsoft has this annoying habit of either eliminating, hiding or changing features from its previous releases, and it appears Vista will be the same way. Here are some things you won't find in Vista and some of the ways you can get some of the functionality back once you do upgrade.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Microsoft Vista

I bought a computer during christmas and it says you can get a free vista upgrade.

Has anyone got their free upgrade?

Comment

Dont upgrade if you dont have to. There are too many security flaws. and yes everytime you turn the computer on and go on the internet vista is sending out info on you so fast within a nanosecond. If you really have to install vista do it on another hard drive and get a hard drive selector or swap cables.

Comment

I just finished setting up Vista RC1 on my personal computer I brought to work, and I'm about to cry. I still won't be getting a real copy of vista until the service pack comes out, but the winkey+tab switcher is awesome (I left it on with two videos playing to show people the power of vista) not to mention better user account protection and live view when you hover over the minimized windows on the taskbar.

The only downside I see so far is that people with 3-4 year old computers (like the one I have Vista RC1 on) will be a bit slow.
                                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                                X