Heavy Net users are loners, study suggests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Net users are loners, study suggests

I think it's a more interactive form of feedback in front of the screen for me...

doh!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      Heavy internet use causes lack of proper punctuation and capitalization, and poor spelling and grammar, study finds.
      Hi MadAzza, I guess you're one of the local grammar nazis. I thought this board was full of intelligent and nice people, but I guess grammar nazis are everywhere. I can, if I choose, type properly, but I am really too lazy to bother.
      P3rh4p5 1f 1 5p34k 1n 1337 5p34k y0u w1|| 16n0r3 my 7yp1n6 5k1||5?
      Or perhaps if I TyPe In AlTeRnAtInG CaPs ThAtS sO PoPuLaR WiTh ThE KiDs iT wIlL MaKe YoUr MiNd ExPlOdE?

nah, its too bothersome to type in either so i think i'll just type as normal, after all, its not like i write for a living.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

OMG I betta go moe moe before people tink I'm a heavy computa user. heheheh

Wat. Badda you? Don't let it!!!!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          There may be a mixup here between cause and effect. Is heavy computer usage causing people to spend more time alone, or are people who'd probably be spending that time alone anyway choosing to do so in front of a computer? I do not think one could definitely say, one way or the other.
          I think the internet has many interpretations and uses, and wether heavy computer usage creates loners depends on that persons viewpoint. Also, I'd like to see how they collected their information. Did they poll people in specific forums that are prone to uber-nerds? Did they poll people in lower income neighborhoods? Does the effect of having a single computer in a large family household help create loners?
          “The assumption is that the Internet is causing these things to happen, but, I mean, it may be the other way around,” Boase said.

“It may be that people who are already prone to spending a lot of time alone may be online. ... It’s possible they may be sending e-mail to people. So even though they’re physically alone, they may not be emotionally alone."

Barry Wellman, a professor of sociology at the University of Toronto, acknowledged that online social networks do occasionally displace family interaction, but said such a trend is to be expected with society’s increasing reliance on technology.
          As mentioned before, the internet is displacing tv viewing, which was also deem harmful by society at large. Anything in excess is bad, as they say. If it disrupts your normail life, it may be a bad thing.
          In my experience, I have seen whole families, as many as 8 at a time come in to access MySpace.com. Ive read that 1stWahine has a myspace page as do her children, and that they interact there also, possibly in ways they wouldnt normally do at the dinner table.
          I've seen people break up because they found someone more compatible online, in another country even, and I've seen many people meet and get married because they were able to meet someone more compatible online, rather then at a bar or what have you.
          I think that most people do not by choice choose to be alone, and recall days in the distant, distant past where I was a heavy, heavy internet user and so burdened by loneliness that only alcohol and efforts to get out more eventually solved it.
          Back to the point, I think the internet is neato.
          Originally posted by 1stwahine
          OMG I betta go moe moe before people tink I'm a heavy computa user. heheheh

Wat. Badda you? Don't let it!!!!
          yeah, i know. its just that ive been feeling down lately and re-found this forums and read some interesting threads (re: watada) and i didnt expect a grammar attack =p

heh. i notice she never attack your sometimes use of pidgen.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

OMG, i just finished reading the rest of the article.

“Certainly people can develop new friendships and explore new cultures in a very intensive way, but if you spend all your time online, you won’t develop team-work skills or learn how to interact properly,” she said. ”Anything done to excess can be problematic.”

I guess it would depend on the circumstance she is quoting, but as far as multiplayer online games goes, I've seen teams of up to 40 people work together for hours to take down a very hard 'boss' for a chance at a single special reward. some so critical where if someone does the wrong thing, the entire team could be wiped out and that would be it for the night.
            Id have to agree about the social interaction thing tho, some things you still have to get out in the world to do.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Heavy Net users are loners, study suggests

"I'm bad, Pee-Wee. You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner -- a rebel!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                Ive read that 1stWahine has a myspace page as do her children, and that they interact there also, possibly in ways they wouldnt normally do at the dinner table.

heh. i notice she never attack your sometimes use of pidgen.
                Hellbent, I like you. You funny!!!!

K-den. To answer your questions.

My children have their own homes. When they do come over to eat, we wala'au. We hold nothing back. It's always been that way. My children and I have a Wonderful and Special Relationship. We've been through so much Together...my three children and I.

Yes, they have MySpace accounts as well as I. Each with their own personality by their Profile Images they chose and songs. I laugh when I visit their pages. They have many friends.heheheh

I tend to stay away from my son's now. Too many wahine's acking itchy on screen. Nah, MySpace is a place to keep in contact with friends. For Stories ~ I am a Blogger. Tomarrow, I celebrate my 2nd Anniversary!

Ryan gave me the chance to write when I didn't know how to spell, punctuate and put together a story. Lynn's Lair was born. On my 1st Anniversary, AuntiePupule.com was started. I still don't know how to spell and punctuate properly. I still write for both Blogs. (I am not a Journalist. I am a Blogger)

Ainokea.

As long as others can understand what I am trying to convey. I must be doing something right...auntiepupule.com's current stats since 8/7/5 is Successful server 1,632,543 Requests!!!!

Auntie Lynn

btw: Are you referring to Maddie attacking me? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                We're friends. Plus she knows I'm coocoo's. I dunno how to spell and punctuate for realz!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; August 4, 2006, 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling correction!heheheh

Comment

theres nothing wrong with pidgen. we all grew up speaking it in pauoa. your spelling and punctuation skills are fine.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                    Hi MadAzza, I guess you're one of the local grammar nazis.
                    It's true. This weekend I'm going to invade Poland, and force them into better subject-verb agreement.

Sorry about your sense of humor!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      As long as others can understand what I am trying to convey. I must be doing something right...auntiepupule.com's current stats since 8/7/5 is Successful server 1,632,543 Requests!!!!
                      I don't understand what yer trying to convey:
                      successful server?!
                      who is serving? what are they serving?
                      more than a million requests?!
                      requests for what???

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        I don't understand what yer trying to convey:
                        successful server?!
                        who is serving? what are they serving?
                        more than a million requests?!
                        requests for what???
                        My MIND!!!!

Comment

the only response;
                          never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            the only response;
                            never mind.
                            Wat were you expecting? Steaks?

I no tink so....

Comment

Working...
                            X