No announcement yet.

Sony MYLO -- Anyone excited about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony MYLO -- Anyone excited about this?

"Instant Messaging. Web Browsing. Music. Pictures. Videos. Imagine all the fun things you do on your PC, concentrated in the palm of your hand."

It would be "cool" to own one.
    Attached Files
    "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Re: Sony MYLO -- Anyone excited about this?

I've been monitoring from time to time the marketplace for small technology gadgets such as this that offer portable wifi connectivity without having to get a laptop computer or a cell phone. This seems to be the latest entrant in a slowly growing field of devices.

Here is the link URL to the device:

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/as...rod/index.html

Here are the specs:

Product Features

* Ultra-portable, Wi-Fi-enabled personal communicator and multimedia player in black
    * Access e-mail, browse the Web, and make Skype VOIP internet phone calls
    * Reach friends on three instant messaging services--Yahoo!, Google, and Skype
    * MP3, ATRAC, WMA (secure) audio, MPEG4 video, JPEG photo playback
    * 2.4-inch LCD display (320 x 240 resolution), slide-out QWERTY keyboard, Memory Stick PRO Duo slot

Operating System and Software

* Operating System: No Operating System

Graphics and Display

* Display: LCD
    * Display Viewable Size: 2.4 inches
    * LCD Native Resolution: 320x240
    * Colors at Native Resolution: 65536
    The Sony website states that the battery life allows for up to 3.5 hours of internet use, 8 hours for video playback and 45 hours for music playback. Funny how this is being marketed as an internet device yet the time you can use it on the net is short compared to music use before a recharge.

Amazon.com is taking pre-orders for $349.00, which puts it in the same price range as the Nokia 770 network device and the slightly more expensive Palm Lifedrive. I also understand Sony's own PSP device has internet connectivity and sells for around $300, which is about 50 bucks less than this... and that plays games.

My usual concerns about these kinds of devices are the lifespan of the built-in battery, available software and most importantly Macintosh compatibility. The fact that it uses memory stick for data storage is a hopeful sign that things like music and video (non-DRM of course) can be swapped between the device and a Mac.
    Last edited by mel; September 3, 2006, 10:36 PM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I hope the prices on all these new gadgets drop before they become a MUST NEED for the average teenager in about 11 years!

I'm dreading the day my son asks for his own cell phone and tells me... "everyone has them"

Then I have to tell him the stories of Black and White TV's and how I was lucky to have an Atari game system on a black and white tv!

Comment

GeckoGeek's prediction: It won't fly. For one, it sounds like it's not much good for anything if it doesn't have a network connection. And since it only supports WiFi that's too limiting on where it will work.

The future is the cell phone. No one really want to carry multiple gadgets. But because of the need to work with a network, it's more likely the cell phone will eat the other gadgets (like MP3 player, PDA, etc) then the other way around.

Compare the Palm Treo or the Moto Q is the right direction.

Comment

Thats why we need the ultimate fusion of Cellphone and other various gadgets! Cellphone with 10g HDD or more for music! Ahhh that would be awsome.
          I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

i assume you mean a good, working smartphone? motorola and itunes got together to make that iroq or whatever it is called but since itunes wanted to control the music rights, it was hampered before it came out.
            this gadget looks like a sidekick, which is like holding a taco to your head. even the blackberries and pda's are pretty bulky.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

While pda-like wifi devices may never become as popular as wifi enabled cellphones, they do fit a niche for consumers who may want a bigger device that features a keyboard or not be tied to a monthly cell phone bill. In the latter, the Sony Mylo, Nokia 770 and Palm Lifedrive serves a purpose.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maybe I'm reading the specs wrong. The Nokia 770 does look similar, but it will also do bluetooth to your phone so you can connect when no WiFi is available. It doesn't look like the Sony can do that.

Palm has evolved from the days before connectivity, so it's fine with it's Palm OS which has a ton of applications. But it also support WiFi and Bluetooth.

The Sony is listed as having "no OS". It does seem to have memory, so I suppose it could run some apps in a browser from memory. But it seems to lack basic PDA apps like scheduling. Between PocketPC, Palm, iPod and Blackberry, I'm not sure as the world is willing to support yet another PDA "OS". But the killer here is the lack of connection options when out of range of a WiFi signal. There will be too many times someone will want to look up something but there's no signals. Yet all their friends will able to connect via the cell phone. So picture the ridicule that the Sony user will suffer. So I stand on my assessment: Unless they add Bluetooth, Flop.
                Last edited by GeckoGeek; September 4, 2006, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Flop MyLo could be. It wouldn't be the first for Sony. A few years ago they were trying to sell an "internet appliance" that was similar to a desktop computer. That flopped big time. No one bought it.

While I am not going to run out and buy a Mylo anytime soon, I am still watching this marketspace to see if any of the devices improve, or hopefully come down in price.

As for cell phone connectivity, I am one of the very few in the world and probably on this board that have elected to not and never have owned a cell phone. So something like this or the Nokia 770, Palm devices or even PSP may be an option I'd like to look into to supplement both my iBook laptop and Macintosh desktop computers.

As I mentioned this stuff will probably only appeal to a niche consumer. If it is on its way to flop and someone would sell them at fire sale prices, perhaps I'd look into getting one.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

wow a friend of pz's that has never owned a phone...! Amazing... simply amazing!
                    (inside joke if you know how many phones he's been through)

Comment

I would go into TMobile and see about those pay-as-u-go plans + internet and buy an unlocked treo 650. It syncs nicely w/ the mac, can be used to surf the net and check email, and as a bluetooth wireless modem for the laptop.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        Flop MyLo could be. It wouldn't be the first for Sony.
                        Except maybe for the robo dog, I don't think they've come anywhere close to the hit they had with the WalkMan in years.

Cell phones isn't just about having a phone anymore. It's also becoming the datalink. You've really got to ask yourself where all you go that you won't have WiFi service. Then you'll see the attraction of a much wider area wireless system. WiFi will cover the home and office and maybe a few hangouts. After that, it's really spotty. And if you do have service, you might find you have to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek
                          Except maybe for the robo dog, I don't think they've come anywhere close to the hit they had with the WalkMan in years.
                          I Got to disagree...

Michelle Wie

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek
                            Cell phones isn't just about having a phone anymore. It's also becoming the datalink. ...
                            None of the data I have stored relies on a cell phone. The data that I need to access can be had from any of my newer Macintosh computers.

I don't get and don't like getting many phone calls. I'm not a phone oriented person. My landline hardly ever rings except for a few business calls and the occasional, annoying telemarketing call. I keep my landline for the DSL service I get with it as well as for talking to my parents long distance. And I don't subscribe to any long distance plans. Buying an $8 pre-paid card for 90 minutes suffices for my very limited long distance needs (mostly calling parents). My brother on the mainland has no phone. Can't call him. I can contact my sister by email or Skype. Other than work which has Wifi and my home which I also have Wifi, I don't roam around very much. And when I do, I mostly stay in town and know where some of the free access points are... and if there aren't any, then it is no big deal to me. I am very tight with my money, especially when it comes to recurring bills. It is a lifestyle choice for me to not have a cell phone of any type. I've lived without one all my life and I don't see any reason to get one anytime soon. I just don't want to put up with another monthly, recurring bill.

And yes, among the flops Sony can count on one hand at least are the aforementioned internet appliance (I think it was called Audry), the robodog thing, its various mp3 players and online music store, and of course the Betamax recorder and tape format, which I unfortunately bought into back in the 1980s.

Maybe MyLo will be a flop but I guess Sony thinks there may be a market for such a device that they are willing to release it upon the public.
                            Last edited by mel; September 4, 2006, 05:35 PM.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

psst...Mel....check out TMobile and their pay-as-u-go plans. Seriously. You front the money then consume your minutes as you need, which sounds like you would only do it for the portable internet needs. And with a treo, if you did need the phone option, you would have it. Otherwise, it is an excellent palm pda that syncs better with my entourage than it does its own palm desktop.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X