Lets talk about Microsoft's Zune!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about Microsoft's Zune!

"If you can't beat 'um, make your own" is what Microsoft was probably thinking. Their Zune portable media player is poised to take on Apple's iPod in this sea full of other portable media players.

here's a video on the basic operations of the media player, including video, pictures and the FM radio that everyone else has but Apple's iPod.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Lets talk about Microsoft's Zune!

One of my co-workers called it "MySpace in your hand," because of the ability to share music with friends via wi-fi.

Comment

Sharing music with friends via wi-fi has nothing to do with Myspace.

Comment

One drawback of the music service will be the three-day use limit, but I'm sure someone will be able to hack that before long.

Comment

The first edition zune is a rush to get in the market. The next one will probably be different. I'll wait until then.

Comment

Zune launches on Tuesday, and Microsoft is pouring huge bucks into the launch. There've been a lot of previews and videos and the like, but now the main tech writers for the New York Times and Wall Street Journal weigh in:

Trying Out the Zune: IPod It’s Not
            David Pogue, New York Times
            Competition is good and all. But what, exactly, is the point of the Zune? It seems like an awful lot of duplication — in a bigger, heavier form with fewer features — just to indulge Microsoft’s “we want some o’ that” envy. Wireless sharing is the one big new idea — and if the public seems to respond, Apple could always add that to the iPod.
            Microsoft's Zune Challenges iPod
            Walter Mossberg, Wall Street Journal
            Overall, the iPod and iTunes are still the champs. Still, I expect the Zune to attract some converts and to get better with time. And this kind of competition from a big company with deep pockets and lots of talent is good for consumers in the long run.

Comment

hmm...a music device that microsoft made... I think I'll stick to my PSP and ipod. No BSOD yet.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

So. This guy got a Zune early. (Release is officially Tuesday, but his Best Buy store didn't know any better.) He did the whole "unbox" picture taking thing that folks traditionally do with Apple gear. All was going well until he actually tried to use it. Then it wouldn't install -- some bizzare Windows conflict, I'm sure.

How quaint.

I love that he got the brown one. Hell, if I were forced to own a Zune, I'd go for the brown one too. It's funnier that way.

Comment

Can this really be true?
                  "Zune incompatible with Windows Vista"

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Can this really be true?
                    "Zune incompatible with Windows Vista"
                    Well, Vista isn't even officially released.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                      Well, Vista isn't even officially released.
                      Regardless, it's still a problem if it's not fixed before Vista's release in a couple of weeks...isn't it? Makes no difference to me, tho', as I'm a Maccie. I just found the incompatibility a bit interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Regardless, it's still a problem if it's not fixed before Vista's release in a couple of weeks...isn't it? Makes no difference to me, tho', as I'm a Maccie. I just found the incompatibility a bit interesting!
                        This is not surprising, given the fact that Squishy has different teams developing the products. It still hasn't dawned on them that making their products/platforms backward compatible (or compatible in the first place) is what will help get customers to buy their products. The Zune platform itself is manufactured by Toshiba. (Kind of like the incompatibility of older PS games to be played on the PS3 box). More than likely an upgrade to Zune will be forthcoming within the next year so that it is compatible with Vista. I'm pretty sure Zune would be compatible with XP, though. And if it's not, some heads will roll over at the Zune offices (where's the QA and UAT?)

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          So. This guy got a Zune early.
                          I was just about falling out of my chair at the "installation failed" screen shot. What are those girls doing? Does this thing connect up with the iGallop? Or did they just Join the Social?

Comment

Yeah, I've read that people are messing with their installations just to see that odd bit of stock photography. Who would've thought an installation error would hurt so bad... or feel so good?

The incompatibility with Microsoft stuff is what really boggles my mind. Not working with Vista is forgivable, IMHO... most folks will be on XP for the near future. But the fact that they came up with yet another DRM format, instead of Microsoft's own "PlaysForSure" platform, is insane. So even if you did sign up with Napster or other music stores using Microsoft's original DRM, none of that music will work on Zune -- a Microsoft product.

So if you got a Zen player and a MusicMatch account, signing on with Microsoft even if only to spite Apple and iPod and iTunes... you're screwed. You have to start from scratch with Zune.

And the WiFi music sharing is a neat idea, don't get me wrong. But... how long do you think it'll be before there are enough Zunes out there to make spontaneous swaps in your local coffee shop commonplace? Even worse, Zune presumes DRM requirements. In other words, if I were a musician with my own band and music, and wanted to spread my music via Zune so others could check it out... I couldn't make it free or available to pass on again even if I wanted to. The recipient gets three plays, and then the song dies, even for a file specifically designed to be free of licensing constraints. Insane.

Comment

I saw it at Circuit City this afternoon, and I think MS should stick to making software instead of making hardware stuff. The screen is very big, but it stretches the album art, and having to change the orientation of the unit to watch videos is odd when its caged on the unit's display.

Too me, the unit was a bit fat compared to my Creative Zen Microphoto, and the screen is useless while listening to music (most of the screen is taken up by the album art).

Comment

Working...
                              X