Google Desktop Users BEWARE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Desktop Users BEWARE!

Just a fair warning for those of you using Windows and have the Google Desktop search installed, I found that in some cases it kills explorer. I guess the google updater had updated Google Desktop with out me knowing. This is no big deal however when I tried to start my computer today the taskbar wouldn't load, or should I say it would flash on then die. I pressed control+alt+del to get the task manger so I could try running Explorer from there, same thing flashed on and was gone just as quickly. This left me with no icons, no taskbar, and no Explorer. However, I could get to the task manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del and run programs from there. So I started Firefox and after some snooping I found out that the Google desktop search was to blame. Here the steps I took to remedy the problem.

Step 1: press control+alt+del to bring up the task manager
    Step 2: Click new task, type cmd then hit enter or press ok
    Step 3: Change you directory to C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle Desktop Search by typing cd ../../ in the cmd prompt window followed by enter then type cd /Program Files/Google/Google Desktop Search and hit enter again
    Step 4: next in your cmd prompt window type "GoogleDesktopSetup.exe -uninstall" and hit enter if that doesn't work type "GoogleDesktopSetup.exe" hit enter and let it install then do the beginning step of step 4 again.
    Step 5: reboot your comp or start explorer

hope that helps some one out
    My blog post about it.

Hope you guys don't get this but if you do atleast now you'll know how to get your desktop back.
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM
Working...
X