Finding a Security Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Security Camera

I need help in finding and purchasing a security camera for the store.

1) what is the best option if you don't want to drill any holes into the ceiling or walls?
    2) should it keep on recording 24/7, or when there's only a customer, or only when I'm in the store?
    3) Wireless or wired?

And what's the sweet spot in terms of reliability, upgradability, and cost?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Finding a Security Camera

For a temporary starter.... Just a few signs in the store saying this place is being monitored by security camera...(even if it's not) might deter a would be thief.

A cheap camera should be sufficient as your not looking for quality... your just trying to be preventative.

However, no camera will ever replace a sharp keen employee... so keep your eyes open at all times and be especially aware when there are multiple people in your store.

Comment

Check out Costco and their camera system. The brand changed since I last saw them, but last time, the system had 4 color cameras (wired) along with video monitor and dvr for about $1,000. It provides for the ability to stream to the Internet.

I have a D-link wireless camera for my home, but the framerate and clarity of the image are terrible.

Comment

When you say you're getting a camera, what concerns are you trying to address? Shoplifters or after hours break-ins? Are you recording?

Comment

I'm almost looking for an excuse to buy this. Looks like it would be fun to play with.

As for recording, it should be 24/7 and saved digitally. I'm not 100% sure about this system, but a decent digital system will record only when there is motion in the frame. So when you review the recording, you only see when there's something to see. Not like the old extended recording VCR ones.

Wireless would be nice, but I don't know how many wireless analog channels you can have. Not many. Digital would be a big geek factor, but really jacks the price. I've used the Linksys ones. They work, and they come with recording software, but as mentioned, I'm not sure if the frame rate is good enough for what you need. The picture is fuzzy too. Given a chance, I think I'd try some of the Panasonic models to see how they stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            For a temporary starter.... Just a few signs in the store saying this place is being monitored by security camera...(even if it's not) might deter a would be thief.
            There's already a sign on the door that says that.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            When you say you're getting a camera, what concerns are you trying to address? Shoplifters or after hours break-ins? Are you recording?
            I just want to prevent another "bad money" incident and get some decent footage of the person.

Although, I'm also worried about after hour break ins, because we are getting on our feet after being closed for some time, even though we'll move to another place next year.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The sad thing about shrink (loss due to theft, damage, returns) is that in the case of shoplifting, the perpetrator needs to be witnessed either tampering with the packaging or pocketing the goods.

If the subject is seen pocketing the goods, the employee cannot accuse the shopper of shoplifting until after that person leaves the premises because that person may have intended on purchasing the item. That pretense is lost however once that person leaves the store without paying.

If the item has a different price tag or is in a different box with a UPC bar code for a cheaper item there is no way of successfully accusing the person of theft if there isn't any witness to see that person making the switch. An honest shopper could have picked up an altered item not knowing that someone else had put a more expensive item in the cheaper packaging. In this case the would be shoplifter can say, "I didn't know this was tampered with" and you have no case...unless the switch was witnessed.

As crazy as it sounds, I've seen 5,500-watt gasoline generators on wheels leave the store in broad daylight in front of the store manager at Home Depot here in Hilo! The sensor-matic system didn't sound off because there was no anti-theft tag stuck to it. The shoplifter removed the tag earlier in the day and came back that afternoon. He simply rolled it out of the store and there wasn't a thing anyone could do about it. Legally we couldn't prove it was ours. Crazy!

Now here's a sweet deal on a 4-channel monitoring system from geeks.com : http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=4CH-WIRELESS and it's on sale for $129 +shipping and handling
              Attached Files
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 6, 2006, 01:49 PM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                and get some decent footage of the person.
                Forget the really cheap cameras like the Linksys. Not unless you can place them really close.

Comment

If you're willing to spend the money on a system you may as well go for something worthwhile. Our condo spent a few thousand dollars on a security system for our parking garage. The cameras they bought did not have the clarity needed or color contrast to identify people as they committed crimes in our lot. The police said that the picture quality of the recordings would not allow for prosecution of the punks that were breaking into cars in our lot.

If you have the money to spend, I'd suggest a high def stationary camera above the register, a high def stationary camera on the front door, and maybe a few medium def cameras with pan, zoom and tilt to monitor the store. It will be a major investment for a small company but may be worthwhile in the long run. There's a new company that opened up on Waialae Ave. across the Goodyear. It's called CAM Security. The owner there is named Asa. He's pretty cool to talk to and will help you fit your budget, whatever it maybe.

http://www.camsecurity.net

I would also suggest buying a DVR to do your recording. Less hastle than changing VCR tapes every few hours.
                  You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Working...
                  X