Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive E: Healthy (At Risk)

was doing something and found this message under computer management:

Volume ... File System ... Status ... etc.

E ...............NTSF ............Healthy (At Risk)

at risk??? that obviously concerns me but i wonder why it's giving me that message. my other two drives just say "healthy".

any ideas? should i toss that drive and replace it now?
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Drive E: Healthy (At Risk)

I suspect the S.M.A.R.T. feature is detecting the drive is starting to go south. (No, I'm not joking - that's what it's called.) Time to watch the sales and be vigilant on your backups.

You might also check with the drive manufacturer, there might be updated firmware to take care of problems.

Comment

yikes! thanks for the info.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

My most recent adventure was with my laptop's hard drive. I kept getting a message on reboot that my drive was imminent danger of failure. After 9 months of that, it was right.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Found this on the Microsoft site:

Indicates that the dynamic volume is currently accessible, but I/O errors have been detected on the underlying dynamic disk. If an I/O error is detected on any part of a dynamic disk, all volumes on the disk display the Healthy (At Risk) status and a warning icon appears on the volume.

When the volume status is Healthy (At Risk), an underlying disk's status is usually Online (Errors). You should reactivate the underlying disk to return it to Online status, and then the volume should return to the Healthy status. If the Healthy (At Risk) status persists, the disk might be failing. Back up the data and replace the disk as soon as possible.
          Full page is here

You might want to download diagnostics from the drive manufacturer. Run the non-destructive tests. See if it turns up or even corrects anything.

Comment

wow. all of this is new to me but i'll check it out. thanks a lot for all the info!

Comment

followed the directions on the link you provided and in a second, the status changed from healthy (at risk) to healthy. whew.

still, maybe i should replace it with a new drive....

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                followed the directions on the link you provided and in a second, the status changed from healthy (at risk) to healthy. whew.

still, maybe i should replace it with a new drive....
                You know where to find us

But seriously, this Friday will have a lot of deals on computer stuff, especially hard drives.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

You should still back up the important data.

I would have sent the "At Risk" hard drive to a drug prevention and anti-gang youth program.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                    You know where to find us

But seriously, this Friday will have a lot of deals on computer stuff, especially hard drives.
                    ha! ha! yeah, i definitely know where you are! how many times did mark and i drop by your place? 4? 5? times???

this is a good oppportunity for me to tell the others what great service you provided (and how sorry i was to hear that you're thinking of a career move). my friend's hard drive had a major nervous breakdown and couldn't be revived. initially, doc gave it a shot, then his boss gave it a shot, and rather than give up, doc hung on to that hard drive like it was the last drop of water in a desert... and he brought that hard drive back to life long enuf to grab all the info my friend needed! that was truly a digital version of a bay watch rescue (imagine doc running on the beach with a hard drive under his arm in slow motion!).

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                      You should still back up the important data.

I would have sent the "At Risk" hard drive to a drug prevention and anti-gang youth program.
                      you can believe it! last night, i backed up all the important stuff on that drive. don't wanna take any chances.

yeah, my drive's been hanging around the wrong crowd! gatta organize an intervention!

Comment

Working...
                      X