Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MyBlogLog is my new most favorite thing. Ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MyBlogLog is my new most favorite thing. Ever.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    What they mean by this? URL Display Name:* Required Please enter a display name for your site's community here. Note: This is a new requirement on MyBlogLog.
    That's just like picking your username. You know, like how you picked 'auntiepupule' to represent you personally? You pick a display name to represent your blog (so you can have more than one blog assigned to your username). So, just put 'lynnslair' or something. Just make sure there are no spaces or punctuation, because what you choose becomes your URL. That is, whatever you put in that box becomes your blog's location on MyBlogLog -- instead of "hawaiithreads" in the example below, it'll be whatever you pick:

mybloglog.com/buzz/community/hawaiithreads

After adding your blog, I promise I'll add myself as a reader (i.e. join your blog's "community").

As for the Javascript code? Don't worry about that. It would go inside the template for your blog, something that you can do later. Whomever set the design of your blog would know what to do with it.
    But I like my page look pretty like Ryans! No moa any of my Blogs. No moa HT, Wala'au and HawaiiStories.com!
    Well, you can be a member of the community for the sites you visit, but you can only get the "pretty" screen shot of the sites you own on your profile. So, you'll get the "pretty" screen shot for Lynn's Lair (as soon as you add it). But for HawaiiStories or Link's blog or whatever, you just join the community.
    Last edited by pzarquon; December 7, 2006, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      As for the Javascript code? Don't worry about that. It would go inside the template for your blog, something that you can do later. Whomever set the design of your blog would know what to do with it.Well, you can be a member of the community for the sites you visit, but you can only get the "pretty" screen shot of the sites you own on your profile. So, you'll get the "pretty" screen shot for Lynn's Lair (as soon as you add it). But for HawaiiStories or Link's blog or whatever, you just join the community.
      K-den. I went all passed everything through the assistance of Christa, Link and you. Still the problem remains...I can't get a screen shot! I going try again tomorrow or wait till my mind gets clearer.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
        EXACTLY why i love it! SEE! i finally found my place in my non-rss-feed-having-website authoring world!

*sigh* lovelovelvoelveolveovlevoelvoevovelovelveo
        don't know if i asked before but your pictures are terrific! what camera or cameras do you usually use?
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Oh! My goodness! Dis place get their own kind of of Blog SPAMMERS! Luckily, we have the option of letting them in or not.

I'm still unable to put my "screen shots" up!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Wow! Thank you all for spending the time talking about us. I may not get to all of the questions right this sec, but I'll do my best.
            -- Christa's right. You only need to install the code if you want our click reporting and/or widgets for your site, which is not in any way a requirement for participation.
            -- We're working on a widget solution that requires only JPEGs and CSS with no Javascript. It might work for LJ, but we're not sure yet. It definitely works for wordpress.com and myspace pages.
            -- We can happily work with the people that own run Hawaii Threads to put our Javascript on all its pages. Just have them message me on MyBlogLog (http://mybloglog.com/buzz/members/rafer)
            -- Nothing would stop you from starting your own Metafilter community.
            -- The "add an author" link works as you mentioned.
            -- We look at Adult Content as NC-17 and above, which we need to make clearer. If you marked your blog adult and now regret it, just message me and I'll fix it.

Did I miss any thing?

Comment

How come my screen shots don't work?

Sending you PM.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Very cool that a MyBlogLog bigwig has checked in! Thanks for gathering up and answering some of our questions.

Lynn, I think I may have steered you wrong by jokingly suggesting you mark your blogs as 'adult content.' Since that's what seems to be blocking their display on your profile page. For example, there is a community for Lynn's Lair, and I'm a proud member. But you can only get there now via a link like this one, since it's not publicly indexed on MyBlogLog. The good news is, there's a screen shot, and we all can declare ourselves proud fans of Auntie Lynn!

I don't know if rafer is going to check his PMs here at HT, so you might want to send him a private message about the 'adult' toggle through his profile at MyBlogLog.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Lynn, I think I may have steered you wrong by jokingly suggesting you mark your blogs as 'adult content.' Since that's what seems to be blocking their display

I don't know if rafer is going to check his PMs here at HT, so you might want to send him a private message about the 'adult' toggle through his profile at MyBlogLog.
                  You were only joking? Hala! I was serious and concentrating and you were JOKING? dAS NAUGHTY! Santa Claus not going bring you your presents. hahahaha

Thanks for making my page look PRETTY like yours. I'll send rafer a message at his profile.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Well, as rafer notes, the definition of 'adult content' in their setup is unclear -- both the threshold of severity and the focus (did they mean adult content in the MyBlogLog profile or at the registered site?). And I certainly wasn't aware of exactly what such a setting would change on their system... I was expecting a flag or something, not a default exclusion filter. Finally, it was just a simple toggle as part of registering any new blog or site -- you'd think such a setting could similarly be toggled off through a configuration panel later. Though I suppose requiring manual action by an admin makes some sense.

Anyway, even though it's hard to find 'til rafer can fix it, Lynn's Lair does have a MyBlogLog community, and all fans of Aunty Lynn should declare their appreciation!

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                      don't know if i asked before but your pictures are terrific! what camera or cameras do you usually use?
                      *looks around* ME?? rad! pm'ing you now.

so, um. you pretty much made my day. well, that and seeing someone from the big scary silicon valley come visit our threads
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

It's been crazy today, so I didn't have time to check in on the thread until now. Lynn got herself taken care of in the meantime. On "Adult," I'm terribly late on publishing our terms of service but the breaking point is somewhere around NC-17 movie ratings.

Christa also did us a nice turn. Just this afternoon we started putting out a new Recent Readers widget that works on MySpace. She's already got it posted at http://myspace.com/127544827 and I do at http://myspace.com/scottrafer.

If you add a MySpace acct as a blog to your MyBlogLog profile via http://mybloglog.com/buzz/addsite we'll offer you widget code that works on MySpace. If you give it a try, please let me know what you think.

I'm on a long flight tomorrow, so please don't get upset if it takes me a while to get back to you over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by rafer View Post
                          -- We're working on a widget solution that requires only JPEGs and CSS with no Javascript. It might work for LJ, but we're not sure yet. It definitely works for wordpress.com and myspace pages.
                          Awesome. I can't wait for that feature to get started!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Well, the trial period for the "pro" features expired quickly, and now I'm living in freebie land. Frankly, though, seven days of stats is plenty fine for me, and I haven't been particularly compelled to check them anyway. I just like browsing reader profiles, seeing what else they read, and adding a good blog now and then to my own.

For folks who obsessively track their logs and think seriously about their readership, I imagine the "stats" limitation is a bummer. Maybe I'm weird, but that's not really the draw of the service anyway.

The hardest thing to get used to is to visit a random blog I've never visited before, and discovering my own picture and profile name listed in the sidebar. Technologically it's clever, but on a base level it's a bit creepy.

The worst part about it is that linkspammers and SEO peddlers have already infested the place, posting plugs on the profiles of popular blogs or members. I'm sure a lot of these folks are MyBlogLog's bread and butter (they would pay for detailed stats), but they're a real turn-off for "regular" bloggers and web surfers.

Comment

Yeah, the spammers have gotten to me too. It's a shame, but I don't see how they can be kept to a minimum. Presumably rafer and his colleagues are trying to devise a way.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Yep! Me too. One from India, Africa and China! Da nerve. I go check...I go delete again.

I just noticed...my picture is featured on the "MyBlogLog Has A Posse" Section! heheheh

Auntie Lynn
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; December 14, 2006, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X