Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else tired of being reemed by Oceanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else tired of being reemed by Oceanic?

I'm very happy these days that Hawaii now has competition when it comes to broadband these days. I have been using roadrunner for five or six years now maybe longer. With the cable TV too, I pay to Oceanic over $120.00 every month for their price gouging services, and to be honest with you. I'm sick and tired of it too!

What perks does Oceanic offer it's customers? It's customers, who I might add pay their bill in advance too!?!? You'd think Oceanic would offer it's customers something for pre-paying their bill every month. Why do they pre-bill us anyway? Oh yes, I forgot! Oceanic offers up it's loyal customers a Kupaa card/key!?!? What a joke that is. So being a Oceanic customers allows me to go eat at Shiro's saimin in Waipahu the third Sunday of every month for a 5% savings their special. Or I can use my "Kuppa key", to buy quality Xmas gifts at the local Chevron Station at 5% savings

But unfortunately, most of Oceanics loyal customers are just that! Blindly loyal to a fault! I'd imagine if enough people complained, they'd ditch their ever so popular "Kupaa Card/key in exchange for lower monthly rates. I mean wouldn't you all agree to that? Besides, how many of you actually use their "Kuupaa Card/key?

To me,since I signed up with Oceanic I see very little change. Is their high speed service getting better....I can't tell? But this much I do know, my cable hardly ever hits the speeds Oceanic claims. But then none of them do, and I mean that too.
    Are you aware that Cable service has progressed way better in Japan and Korea than it has here in America? Why is that?
    The whole idea was that once more broadband companies came to Hawaii, we'd see prices go down because of competition, and the latest technology. I mean this was the way it was suppose to be not just Hawaii, but all across America..

Re: Anybody else tired of being reemed by Oceanic?

Oceanic has a near monopoly, but nowhere near the level of dominance it did ten years ago. For telelvision you have satellite services or can live entirely off downloaded content. For high speed internet you have DSL and wireless upstarts like Clearwire. I never expected prices to plummet because of competition, but I am certain inevitable price increases (as new technologies require investment in infrastructure) have been dulled by the presence of other players. If you hate Oceanic, you have other places to go. But for lots of folks, that's more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Oceanic (or RR) did uncap its max speed from 1.5 to 3 a year or 2 ago. But if you live in an area with lots of bandwidth hogs, youre probably screwed anyway.
      Last edited by Hellbent; December 8, 2006, 07:44 AM. Reason: you, your, youre
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
        Oceanic (or RR) did uncap its max speed from 1.5 to 3 a year or 2 ago.
        They better be higher then that. DSL is now at 3Mbit. I bounce back and forth between DSL and RR with my laptop. I don't notice any speed difference.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Oceanic has a near monopoly, but nowhere near the level of dominance it did ten years ago. For telelvision you have satellite services or can live entirely off downloaded content. For high speed internet you have DSL and wireless upstarts like Clearwire. I never expected prices to plummet because of competition, but I am certain inevitable price increases (as new technologies require investment in infrastructure) have been dulled by the presence of other players. If you hate Oceanic, you have other places to go. But for lots of folks, that's more trouble than it's worth.
          well prices should drop, that's the 'song & dance', this industry has been playing for years. I'm not just talking about Hawaii either!

You are right though, Oceanic no longer has it's customers by the "short hairs", because of the market growth has brought in competition to the Islands!

Comment

Oceanic (or RR) did uncap its max speed from 1.5 to 3 a year or 2 ago. But if you live in an area with lots of bandwidth hogs, your probably screwed anyway.
            I'd like to be able to nail these companies to "false advertisement". Top end speeds being the issue. How often does anybody hit Roadrunners advertised speeds? Maybe, if you live in Laie and it's 3:30 A.M. do you get those advertise up load speeds,but hardly ever.

What I find very disturbing is why Cable flys in Korea and Japan,but not yet in America. Cable was invented in the US, yet we trail others in this technology????

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
              What I find very disturbing is why Cable flys in Korea and Japan,but not yet in America. Cable was invented in the US, yet we trail others in this technology????
              Different business philosophy for one. Much higher housing density for another. Our cities can rival Japan, but not when you start getting out to individual house lots. Makes a difference in the speed of payback for a technology that has a cost per distance to deliver services.

Comment

3 mbit is download speed, i think upload is still 768?
                its always been false or misleading advertisement. remember the rr ads 'as fast as you can imagine?' well hell, i have a great imagination. how about as fast as negative time? "like it downloaded so fast it was done yesterday."
                but hey, NO CAN!
                CAN!
                If i remember correctly, korea is entirely wired for DSL. Or was that Singapore?
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

3 mbit is download speed, i think upload is still 768?
                  For DSL, yes. Upload on RR is even slower. Maybe half that. Seems like that's something DSL could use in their advertising somehow.

Comment

I switched from RR to Verizon DSL when DSL was 1.5 mbit. The monthly price difference, $45 vs. $30, was enough to make me switch. I'm even happier now with my 3 mbit dl speed. My hardware is a little old, so my speed is mostly constrained by my processor and not the wire speed. Doesn't RR advertise themselves as having 5 mbit dl speed?

Comment

Road Runner is currently max 5Mbps/384K. Hawaiian Tel DSL is 3Mbps/768K .Evidently Road Runner's speeds will be further increased in the near future.

There is faster DSL, called Titanium offered by LavaNet 7.1Mbps/768K. But you have to live really close to the central office to qualify for it.
                      Last edited by Konaguy; December 8, 2006, 04:40 PM.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Some of my clearwire customers are saying that RR's speed has reduced a lot since the earthquake. Is that true?
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I was one of the first few hundred on Road Runner when they first came out (my brother in law told me about it as he does fiber optic work for Oceanic). At that time we used to experience speeds close to 10Mbps.

My friend who works at Verizon (then GTE) in Washington state was amazed at how fast my broadband speed was compared to DSL that GTE provided. He did tell me though that eventually the speed will drop as more people tie into the hub that provides me with my broadband service. He was right and within a year, it dropped considerably.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            Some of my clearwire customers are saying that RR's speed has reduced a lot since the earthquake. Is that true?
                            what are 'Clearwire's' speeds? Also, is Clearwire on all the islands?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              I was one of the first few hundred on Road Runner when they first came out (my brother in law told me about it as he does fiber optic work for Oceanic). At that time we used to experience speeds close to 10Mbps.

My friend who works at Verizon (then GTE) in Washington state was amazed at how fast my broadband speed was compared to DSL that GTE provided. He did tell me though that eventually the speed will drop as more people tie into the hub that provides me with my broadband service. He was right and within a year, it dropped considerably.

Originally when Road Runner got rolled out here, I believe the old Motorola CyberSufr modems got up to 10Mbps/768K. When the service got more widely used, the speed was cut back to 2Mbps/384K. Now Time Warner is gradually raising the speeds. First 3Mbps/384K, then to 5Mbps/384K. Now TWC is raising the speeds again. Some places to 7Mbps, some to 10Mbps.

Back when GTE rolled out DSL, the Fujitsu Orkit modems had a top speed of 1.5Mbps, due to frame relay limitations.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X