Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying a laptop

I never thought of that! Gecko.

So what's with the Toshiba laptops? Since when does Toshiba do computers?
    I saw like 4 when I was shopping today!

I still can't decide whether I want a powerhouse notebook...man they have some nice ones for the same price and the basic MAC.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
      I never thought of that! Gecko.

I saw like 4 when I was shopping today!

I still can't decide whether I want a powerhouse notebook...man they have some nice ones for the same price and the basic MAC.
      Let me tell you of an experience I had with my boy's Dell Latitude laptop. When his died (under warranty), Dell sent me a box to send the dead laptop back to them. When I dropped the box off at UPS here in Hilo, the woman at the counter recognized it as a Dell box. She said they send about 30 Dell computers back a week! From Hilo! Can you imagine Honolulu?

And Toshiba does sell laptops. If I had to choose between a Dell, HP, Compaq (same as HP), and Toshiba, I'd pick the Toshiba in a heartbeat.

But if you want a Mac you may want to consider Geeks.com with their refurbished G4's running OS-X: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...413-1B&cat=NBB for $749
      Attached Files
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That's what scares me about Dell. I had an E-machine once...WORST buy of my entire life!
        I sent it back 6 times to be repaired until the warranty ran out. Fed Ex guy said he picks up at least 5 a week from my stinking town!
        SCARY.....

I did see some SONY Viaos for 999.00.

Comment

Pinky...Once you Go MAC, you'll never go back.

RAM is easy to install. Apple care is an absolute MUST , so be sure to add another $300 to what you're paying. But you get all the support you need, AND they come out to the house too.

The "refurbished" machines are merely orders that have been cancelled, so they have to call it refurbished. They're usually never opened.

I vote for the Mac. We have 5 in our house.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I am definitely going refurbished...no matter what the price is unbeatable! Makes it so I can afford the extra coverage.

Comment

The only time I can defend getting a Macbook, is if you want the best of both worlds. Only on a Mac (so far) you can dual boot either Mac OS X or Windows XP.

As for Windows brands - in the past few weeks, I've been fixing a lot of Toshiba laptops: ranging from weird BIOS passwords that wasn't set; to a newly bought laptop (or I thought it was newly bought because the stickers were still on it) that can't turn on.

I had a Dell, and other than the battery-fire scare, it worked pretty good for a 4 year old machine. My current laptop, a Compaq is serving me well, even though its a $800 machine. The only thing I hate about it is the lack of recovery discs, and that you can't use quickplay w/out fully turning on the computer.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

oh, another reason to go MAC....viruses...pretty much immune to those evil viruses that fry PC's.
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                  oh, another reason to go MAC....viruses...pretty much immune to those evil viruses that fry PC's.
                  You know it's just a matter of time until hackers start targetting Macs, and when they do, getting a Mac fixed will be mindblowing.

Like here in Hilo...where does one get a Mac fixed? There's no Mac Store here.

I've suggested Macs to those who can afford it but honestly, I like to buy things I can tinker around with when things go bad.

For me I'm planning on purchasing a Mac in the near future only because as more and more of my co-workers tell others about my computer repair that I do, eventually I'm gonna have to understand the Mac OS and it's underpinnings. I've already had to turn down one Mac repair because I simply don't know enough about them.

Comment

I worked on a Dell laptop before. Its just one example but the hardware can be iffy.

After tweaking the broken stuff the laptop is fine. I think the quality control may have been bad at least for that series.

Comment

Oh, at least since 386 machines. They were not my favorite machine to take a part (a pain) but they seemed to be good machines to own, but then it's been a long time since I've touched one.

As for Dell, I've not used their laptops. I'd have to wonder how many Dells were sent back due to "user error". I have used a number of HP/Compaq since I work of a dealer and have been fairly happy with them, but then I know how to take care of a machine.

And Craig's right. Apple is NOT immune to hackers, it's just ignored by them - so far. But as Windows gets better and better, that won't last for ever.

Comment

Computer names to stay away from?

Let's see on my repair bench I have the remains of a Gateway, two Dells, an E-machine and sitting in my kitchen is a rebuilt Compaq with a PC-Chip's motherboard installed.

Toshiba's are good. The only problem I've encountered with a Toshiba laptop was a sticking keyboard key.

I hate Dells. But if you decide to get one buy the accidental damage plan or else tech support will be like pulling teeth. With the plan, tech support is amazingly painless.

Me: Hi I got a problem with this paperweight you call an Inspirion 5160.

Tech Support: Hi my name is Bob (pronounced Bobe) what ails your computer?

Me: It's not turning on, the power supply is good it's the unit.

Tech Support: We'll send you a shipping box to send the computer back to us.

Me: Thanks, bye.

Tech Support: You have a good day sir (sound of goat baying in background).

If you don't buy the plan, it's layers and layers of automated voicemail that takes you either back to the main menu or hangs up on you after an hour of pressing options. If you finally get to a human, it's Bobe again but this time he's an idiot feeding the technical manual to his goat.

Comment

I'll have to agree with ya on the Toshiba as I have an model thats acouple years old now but works like a champ!! I've always been a fan of HP as well but havn't bought any new models.

Comment

I love my HP desktop. No problems going on 2 years. runs great and easy to open and close back up. Only comp I have ever had that ran well and stayed running well. But then again I paid more and got the higher model.

Comment

I love my HP desktop.
                              Deskpros or Evos are good. (Business class) Current models tend to be "D" something. I hated my run-ins with Pavilions (home/discount store models).

Comment

Even iPod is not immune to viruses. The more people continue jumping onboard and buying Macs, the more likely it becomes that a major MacOS X threat will emerge. More important for the immediate future is that a lot of consumers who believe the Apple Mac = no viruses nonsense will happily be buying the machines, a lot of which will run Windows.

One of the first attempts at MacOS X:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=29753

Comment

Working...
                                X