Cell phone repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone repairs

The screen on my Razr V3 has gone bad -- there's a patch as big as my fingernail that looks all fuzzed out and dusty, even though there's no dust on the surface. I'm guessing it's the lens that's got the problem, rather than the actual LCD underneath, because the fuzzed-out area is still there when the phone is turned off. It's still (just barely) within the 1-year warranty period, so I called Cingular's warranty department... and was told that what I was describing was "physical damage", not a "manufacturer's defect", so the warranty didn't cover it. Arrrrgh.

So now I'm faced with either coping with a funky display for another year till the 2-year contract runs out (bleagh), or biting the bullet and buying a new phone now (yeah right), or finding a third-party solution to fix my phone.

Has anyone here had experiences with third-party cell phone repairs? Are there shops in Honolulu that will do phone repairs, and what kind of prices do they charge?

Or... I found a Razr V3 repair manual, and there seem to be a fair number of parts available on eBay. I've worked on desktop PCs, and notebook PCs... how much harder could it be to work on a cell phone?

Re: Cell phone repairs

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    I've worked on desktop PCs, and notebook PCs... how much harder could it be to work on a cell phone?
    I only took apart a cell phone to put a new housing, but the screws are very small, and you have to pray that the oncoming parts will fit.

And I think Upnext wireless or TCAwireless does repair phones. Just don't expect it to be done in a week.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
    X