Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking for a new watch

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Didja ever notice that a good percentage of the time, when you ask what time it is or glance at your watch or look at a clock, it's invariably either 20 minutes past or 20 minutes before the next hour?

Miulang

It's 8:20 a.m. UNCANNY!

Comment

Attached is a pretty geeky watch that I had. It syncs itself with the naval observatory atomic clock like 4 times a day or something. It also is charged by solar energy but...it stopped getting charged by the sun and the battery wears out very quick basically making it useless.
      Attached Files
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

If you want to shop for inexpensive watches, a good place to start would be the Kaheka Don Quijote. When they did their makeover from Daiei, they expanded their watch department considerably. I was amazed at the large selection, from inexpensive to relatively expensive (I'm not too sure about the really expensive like Rolex, etc.).

Comment

I love my Citizen Eco-Drive watch. I got it as a Christmas gift back in '99, all it needs is light to charge the batteries. Haven't had a problem with it so far...7 years and a couple of months.
          Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I have that solar atomic watch that stinky showed. It is a tough, durable waterman's watch (but doesn't show tides like my shark watch did). I got it at costco for about $60. The radio signal that syncs to the atomic clock in Colorado doesn't reach Hawaii, but I go to California at least once a year. It keeps very good time. I haven't had the battery problem that stinky mentioned. The molded rubber band is one piece and I don't think it can be replaced if it breaks. That's why I don't wear my tide watch anymore.

Comment

I rotate three watches: a cheap Timex (bought to fit a turquoise watchband which was a gift), a Longines I bought in Switzerland back in 1984, and a Bulova Accutron bought on Kwajalein in 1975. None are digital. All three seem to go through a battery a year, which has put me on a first-name basis with Serge at the watch concession place at Sear Pearlridge.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I rotate two watches. My social watch is a Rolex two-tone (outer links are stainless steel, inner is gold). It's heavy and has a gold face.

My everyday watch is a Skagen from Sharper Image for $100. Black face, black mesh bracelet, much lighter and thinner silhouette than the Rolex. Much easier to adjust the band after I lost 20+ lbs. - I did it myself rather than take it in to a jeweler/watchmaker.

Comment

I have battery-operated clocks on all major walls in my home and office, a watch on the radio in my car, my cellphone within in reach at all times and the clock on my computer. The number of time-telling devices I use is not unique. So why wear a watch in this day and age?

pax

Comment

Probably the geekiest "watch" I have is my Garmin 201, which I use when I go running; it uses GPS to keep track of how far I've run and how fast I'm going. Only thing is, I have to turn it on and off and hook it up to a recharger. If not for that, I'd wear it all day long.

Any watch I own has to have, at minimum, a stopwatch, preferably with at least 30 or so lap memory.

My current "good" watch is a Casio G-Shock with a stainless steel band, dual analog-digital with world time, countdown timer, and stopwatch. I got it in 2004 when I was in Oregon for my friend's wedding, when I realized that my rubber-banded Timex Ironman wouldn't go well with a tux. It's served me for going on 3 years.
                    http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      But if you want geek then the Casio Data Watch is the clincher. It's the epitome of geek watches when geek wasn't stylish.
                      old school... I had that watch in college. it was awsome!

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
                        The radio signal that syncs to the atomic clock in Colorado doesn't reach Hawaii, but I go to California at least once a year. It keeps very good time.
                        Doesn't Coordinated Universal Time also broadcast out of Barking Sands Kauai? They used to broadcast on 2.5, 5, 10,and 15 Meters on the Shortwave band.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wish my watch could sync with Barking Sands, but I don't think it knows how. It only knows the Colorado signal. Also, it only syncs automatically if I set my home city to something on the continent. Then I can set the city back to HON.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I have battery-operated clocks on all major walls in my home and office, a watch on the radio in my car, my cellphone within in reach at all times and the clock on my computer. The number of time-telling devices I use is not unique. So why wear a watch in this day and age?
                            The trouble I have with that, is all of the times are different! My current wrist watch is a few seconds behind walmart's time, my cell phone is used for TV time, and I don't know what my car's radio time is pointed to - maybe that's the time I have before I get caught speeding.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

One good thing about a cell phone's clock is that it's usually synched to the carrier so it's probably more accurate than your non Cesium atomic clock synched watch.

But a watch is more convenient to look at when needing to know what time it is.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Doesn't Coordinated Universal Time also broadcast out of Barking Sands Kauai? They used to broadcast on 2.5, 5, 10,and 15 Meters on the Shortwave band.
                                That's WWVH, and they still do, but who actually has a shortwave radio? Other than geeks like us, that is.
                                http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Working...
                                X