No Mouse No Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mouse No Keyboard

Okay this computer comes in with an interesting problem. The keyboard doesn't work nor does the mouse.

After replacing the PS2 mouse for a USB mouse, the mouse worked and the keyboard worked. Fine problem solved...but the damned thing took forever to load apps.

Rebooted the system and the keyboard refused to work (no I/O error on POST).

Rebooted again and now the mouse and keyboard doesn't work.

Removed all IDE cables and rebooted.

During boot up I'm able to regain keyboard access until Windows desktop. Keyboard fails to respond. If in Setup the keyboard responds but when the desktop is loaded the keyboard fails. Mouse still failing.

Replace OS with Linux on CD. No mouse or keyboard function except in boot.

Tried another Hard drive, IDE cables, memory, PSU, even another XP OS. I'm starting to believe the Motherboard crapped out. This computer has a Biostar P4M80 ATX mobo.

Other than a BIOS issue what else could it be?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: No Mouse No Keyboard

The non-working mouse and keyboard did you use them on another computer?

For USB based mouse and keyboard, if you change them Windows would take a slightly longer time for it to recongize the mouse and keyboard, but after that it should boot up normally.

Comment

Id bet on a power surge. Ask them what kind of strip they plug into and how much it costs/blinking light on it? I bet its a $2 power strip from Longs.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Both mouse and keyboard work on my "Bench" computer and I've interchanged either type of keyboard and mouse between USB and PS2.

At first I thought it may be a problem with the PS2 sockets but using the USB netted the same results. I tried blowing any junk that may have lodged in the socket connections, removing the mobo to inspect for physical damage.

The keyboard works when in the BIOS Setup but fails when Windows XP loads the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
          Id bet on a power surge. Ask them what kind of strip they plug into and how much it costs/blinking light on it? I bet its a $2 power strip from Longs.
          They had a surge protector on it. Funny though lately I've had to repair three computers in the last month for burned out PSU's. In each case the -5vdc power supply was burned out but this computer's PSU is working fine.

Comment

Did you reload the drivers for the keyboard and mouse?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have this image of a DOS screen coming up with an error message, stating:

NO KEYBOARD DETECTED.

PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                NO KEYBOARD DETECTED.

PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE.
                LOL

You can reconnect a keyboard to continue. I don't see the problem with that.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Did you reload the drivers for the keyboard and mouse?

Miulang
                  Also maybe reload the 2.0 USB drivers for the mobo. Is it a new mobo? If it is I'd be inclined to return it if all else fails.

Comment

I've considered reloading the drivers however instead of using XP's recovery console, I decided to swap out the hard drive and use another formatted one and install XP on that formatted hard drive. Different hard drive, reloaded operating system...same problem.

I even went to a disk based Linux OS and same problem.

The problem can't be the OS drivers not being there, it's either a BIOS firmware problem or some kind of physical hardware problem on the MOBO.

Today (after several hours of much needed sleep) I went ahead and swapped out the motherboard and the computer of course is running fine. Now I have this defunct Biostar P4M80 motherboard that I'll be probing under a magnifying lens to see if there is anything I can do to repair it. Otherwise this will be a great experiment in BIOS flashing.

If anyone has any other suggestions before I refry the BIOS let me know. Otherwise thanks for all the help, this has been one frustrating repair

Comment

Remember the old ISA bus? It started to go out of fashion in the early 90s and was about completely gone by the mid-90s.

Anyway, I compiled a Linux kernel w/o ISA support recently (which you think wouldn't be a problem), and my keyboard and mouse didn't work. I suspect buried deep within the innards of modern PCs is a vestigial ISA bus. Or maybe it was just a fluke. Either way, I never played with it further to learn more about it, but you may want to check your BIOS settings for any possible ISA stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X