Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fans of Firefox

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    No, I installed over my existing setup. That's what most people do, and that's what I expect that the Mozilla guys should have anticipated would usually happen. I'm a little disappointed, but not turned off. Firefox is still my browser of choice.
    Not necessarily the case unfortunately.As far as I've read, FF 2.0 was
    a major change over FF 1.x.Taking the proactive approach, I used my
    1.5.07 profile with 2.0RC1. I was able to eliminate a lot of problems
    before 2.0 final came out. Thus I was able to install 2.0 final over
    my 2.0RC3 installation.

In short,if the upgrade is something manini like 1.5.0.6 to 1.5.0.7,
    yes you can over write your existing installation. But not necessarily
    if you upgrade from 1.5.07 to 2.0
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

The point is, overwriting an older installation is the default behavior for an upgrade, whether it's 2.0RC2 to 2.0, or 1.5.3 to 2.0. Indeed, the release notes make clear, Firefox 2.0 should replace older versions in situ:
      Please note that installing Firefox 2 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won't lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.
      But I've read reports all over the web that doing so has caused all kinds of problems, and not just for people who've done weird things to their install.

I love Firefox, but this "gold" release is a mess. I hope 2.0.1 comes within a week and sorts these glitches out.

Comment

Yes theoretically in a perfect world you could install 2.0 over a 1.5.07 installation. But like in my case luckily I didn't do that. I would've had all the problems you guys are all having. But I got all my issues ironed out in 2.0RC1. Bear in mind I have 22 extensions too (I had 24, but I took out Spellbound since FF 2.0 has a built in spell checker).
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I love firefox now too...and I'm comfortable using my current version. Until all the glitches get worked out...I'll stay with the old version.
          Can everyone keep us updated when you feel that it's worthy of downloading and installing w/out all the headaches.

Mahalo...

Comment

Huh. My Firefox auto-update just ticked over from 1.5.0.7 to 1.5.0.8. Didn't they just release version 2.0 a little while ago? How come they're still releasing minor updates to the earlier version?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              Huh. My Firefox auto-update just ticked over from 1.5.0.7 to 1.5.0.8. Didn't they just release version 2.0 a little while ago? How come they're still releasing minor updates to the earlier version?
              As far as I understand this update was strictly for security and bug fixes.
              Thunderbird also had a similar maintenance update.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Aha. Here's the word from Mozilla:

Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2. (link)
                That makes sense.

Comment

Re: The answer to 7 is 2

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  I mean, cakes, and HI-based parties and hoooha! It is a browser. Safari has private browsing and Netscape works better on certain forums (ime) and IE is waaay old school, but eh. I dig FF, heck I am using it now, but it's just. a. browser.
                  I’ve been a default IE user ever since Netscape joined with the evil empire (AOL). But I now realize the futility of my choice, since IE is such a crash-happy security risk. I hope this thread continues to blossom, so I can learn the ins and outs of Firefox before I convert to it. Unlike you, I’m all about to sticking to one browser for all my needs. If anything, it saves hard-drive space, and keeps you from having to keep track of which browser does what.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I love Firefox. I got hooked through Adrian. I got Gmail through Ryan.

Once you try it ~ you don't want anything else!

Btw: Adrian, am I up-to-date on Firefox 2?

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I've got Firefox 2.0 running smoothly on OS X now!

I got some advice from a Mac forum and found that the problem apparently had to do with my old Firefox profile being messed up somehow, as Aaron had suggested earlier. I deleted my old profile, deleted Firefox 1.5.0.8, and then installed Firefox 2.0. And now it works great.

Of course, if you delete your profile then you delete all your bookmarks, too -- so back 'em up separately first.

ps. In case you don't know where to find your Firefox profile -- I didn't! -- it's in youraccountname/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Comment

I'm a Safari user but Firefox got the best of me last week. I bank with CPB and they upgraded their web site, shutting it down for at least 6 days. Finally it came time to log on to the new site and reset everything. It didn't work. I contacted CPB and they couldn't figure it out. Finally an employee asked me if I was using a Mac! Uh huh, I said. Oh, in that case, you have to use Firefox. That's the only Mac supported browser. Grrrrr! Finally I downloaded FF and still couldn't access my accounts. Eventually someone at the bank did it for me. Since FF didn't do what the bank said it would do I tried logging on via Safari. It worked! Bye-bye Firefox! I am sooooo resistent to change!

Comment

Have any of you come across any websites blocking Firefox? I don't use Firefox that often but haven't found any websites blocking it. I'm watching an online dicussion about Mozilla's ad blocking leading to sites blocking Firefox. Dunno that ad blocking is theft but I guess some people have strong feelings on it.

From the online discussion:

http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com/

You've reached this page because the site you were trying to visit
                          now blocks the FireFox browser.

The Mozilla Foundation and its Commercial arm, the Mozilla
                          Corporation, has allowed and endorsed Ad Block Plus, a plug-in that
                          blocks advertisement on web sites and also prevents site owners from
                          blocking people using it. Software that blocks all advertisement is
                          an infringement of the rights of web site owners and developers.
                          Numerous web sites exist in order to provide quality content in
                          exchange for displaying ads. Accessing the content while blocking the
                          ads, therefore would be no less than stealing. Millions of hard
                          working people are being robbed of their time and effort by this type
                          of software. Many site owners therefore install scripts that prevent
                          people using ad blocking software from accessing their site. That is
                          their right as the site owner to insist that the use of their
                          resources accompanies the presence of the ads.

While blanket ad blocking in general is still theft, the real problem
                          is Ad Block Plus's unwillingness to allow individual site owners the
                          freedom to block people using their plug-in. Blocking FireFox is the
                          only alternative. ....

</huh>

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                            Have any of you come across any websites blocking Firefox?
                            Nope, not so far. Actually, the closest thing I got was that a site didn't support FF.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                            X