Who bought an iPhone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who bought an iPhone?

My wife bought me an iPhone for my birthday - what a woman!

I walked into the Ala Moana store Friday night around 8:30 PM and walked out with it 5 mnutes later. I didn't even think I'd get close to the store.

But...when I got home, I found my OS was not compatible and had to upgrade (from OSX 10.3.9 to 10.4.6.). So I had to go back to get the disk the next day. I wish they would have asked/told me.

Then it took about 8 hours for AT&T to activate.

Since then, it's been a joy. One of the things I love about it is that it powers itself down when not in use and back up when a call or text comes in. I don't have to turn it off.

I love that it gives me HawaiiThreads.com (and other websites) and easily zooms in and out. Two taps zooms in on readable bites of text, or I can move two fingers apart or together to zoom in or out.

I was standing in a HUGE line today (July 4) at Regal Dole for popcorn and spent the time reading the Internet Movie Database about goofs in Live Free or Die Hard (i.e. bullet holes disappearing and reappearing in windshield, etc). Then I saw many of them while the movie rolled.

Great feature: My phone contacts (and any other list in the iPhone) scrolls with the slide of a finger. My old phone required a button to be pressed. Repeatedly. Over and over.

A slide of the finger also scrolls through pictures in the library.

I love that it turns a web site or picture on its side when you turn the iPhone 90 degrees.

Downside: I have not figured out how to send email yet. Still getting error message. It also won't download email from a POP3 server (Roadrunner) if my computer has already downloaded it - first come first served.

I thought I could read it on both. Wrong.

Still, it's the coolest thing I've ever owned. It's the best phone interface I've ever seen. It's the most user-friendly tool I own.

Apple has definately raised the tech bar and soon everything we own will benefit from what they've done with this one device.

Bob

Comment

Haha, my mom apparently wanted to get me one for my birthday today, but of course, there aren't any. And this is after I told her a million times that I'd wait for second gen. Got to play with it at the Apple Store, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
        Downside: I have not figured out how to send email yet. Still getting error message. It also won't download email from a POP3 server (Roadrunner) if my computer has already downloaded it - first come first served.

I thought I could read it on both. Wrong.

Bob
        Bob, it's possible to show POP email on 2 different systems. i use my iphone to get both my IMAP and POP3 accounts, and my POP3 mail resides on my computer and iphone. there is a option on you pop3 setup to "leave mail on server" or something to that effect.

as for sending you just need to setup the correct settings for your SMTP server, if you sync'd it from iTunes to sync your email accounts and you can't send, that's interesting. maybe try change the port on the SMTP on your computer email account then sync again and make sure it changed it.
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Congratulations, Bob! And LocalMotion's got it. Your "downside" is a headache that comes with any e-mail client configuration. Your best bet is to upgrade to an IMAP service, where message status is actually synced. Otherwise, yes, make sure all devices accessing your POP account leave the mail in the inbox -- the only downside is, whichever downloads 'second' will see a 'read' message rather than a 'new' one.

I've got my iPhone downloading two IMAP accounts, Yahoo! Mail (which has a special deal with Apple, and thus works the fastest -- it's basically "push" e-mail), and Gmail. Gmail, oddly, is the least satisfying experience... I get all mail, rather than what's in my Inbox only (sans labels/filters).

Meanwhile... I've just posted a video of the festivities at the iPhone launch on Friday. Featuring cameos by Tanya Joaquim and Cat Toth, as well as several Apple Store employees! Stick around for the twist ending...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            I've just posted a video of the festivities at the iPhone launch on Friday. Featuring cameos by Tanya Joaquim and Cat Toth, as well as several Apple Store employees!
            I know one of those employees (shown briefly) quite well. They know you too! Did you hear what Apple store employees (over 1 year) will be getting come later this month? Very cool.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

don't have one but i've got an iPoor - some LG unit i've had for a few months now.

Comment

hahaha GO RYAN! that news capture is funny. i didn't think twice about it until i held one yesterday. now i want one reeeeeeally. bad.

*sigh*
                life is ok sometimes

Comment

Gmail, oddly, is the least satisfying experience... I get all mail, rather than what's in my Inbox only (sans labels/filters).
                  Hey Pz, is that with the "recent:" prefix? I've got Gmail POP download on my 8525 and with recent:account@gmail.com as the address, I get only the stuff that's new in my inbox. I also reset the POP sync in Gmail from time to time. Under Settings>Forwarding and POP, I click on "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on". With that and recent:, I usually only get the new stuff.

Of course, I haven't paid attention to my filtered mail though and whether or not those new mail that get sent to archive but still labeled new arrive on my mobile.

I <3 Gmail's conversation threading but when downloading into a client, getting all my replies is annoying.

And me iPhone'll be delivered today or tomorrow. The wait's been excruciating.

Comment

Gmail, oddly, is the least satisfying experience... I get all mail, rather than what's in my Inbox only (sans labels/filters).
                    Check your GMail settings. I've got mine set so that when I retrieve the mail via POP3, it archives the messages. And it's also set so that POP3 only retrieves non-archived messages.

Comment

ps: i forgot to show the picture

skinny huh! that's why i was so impressed. we googled the new timberland video and watched it too. you turn it sideways to watch videos like a psp. and the touch screen thingie is really easy. oh man. guess i'm gonna buy then lose another super expensive accessory/gadget in the next few weeks...
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

[...]Meanwhile... I've just posted a video of the festivities at the iPhone launch on Friday. Featuring cameos by Tanya Joaquim and Cat Toth, as well as several Apple Store employees! Stick around for the twist ending...
                        Cool! Got to see employee Shawn...ex of Video Life! Ryan...love, Love, LOVE the ending! You're getting so creative! And, since I'd never in a million years wait in any line for anything it was fun to vicariously live the launch thru you!

Comment

Congratulations, Bob! And LocalMotion's got it. Your "downside" is a headache that comes with any e-mail client configuration. Your best bet is to upgrade to an IMAP service, where message status is actually synced. Otherwise, yes, make sure all devices accessing your POP account leave the mail in the inbox -- the only downside is, whichever downloads 'second' will see a 'read' message rather than a 'new' one.

I've got my iPhone downloading two IMAP accounts, Yahoo! Mail (which has a special deal with Apple, and thus works the fastest -- it's basically "push" e-mail), and Gmail. Gmail, oddly, is the least satisfying experience... I get all mail, rather than what's in my Inbox only (sans labels/filters).

Meanwhile... I've just posted a video of the festivities at the iPhone launch on Friday. Featuring cameos by Tanya Joaquim and Cat Toth, as well as several Apple Store employees! Stick around for the twist ending...
                          Great ending!! i love it. so was that one of the news reporters that bought one too?
                          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Hey Ryan, how are you converting your life from treo to iphone? What was your calendar/todo/memo/address software (meaning, did you use palm desktop or entourage conduit to sync phone to computer) and what did you do to import into your iphone?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              I know one of those employees (shown briefly) quite well. They know you too! Did you hear what Apple store employees (over 1 year) will be getting come later this month? Very cool.
                              Yep. I asked 'em in line. They were properly bashful about it, but you could see the glimmer of glee in their eyes.
                              Originally posted by christa View Post
                              i didn't think twice about it until i held one yesterday. now i want one reeeeeeally. bad.
                              That's the thing about this device. For all the hype and coverage, for all the detailed walkthroughs and demos you can see online, the tactile experience really blows your mind. It feels and works like you imagined it would, but presumed couldn't actually be done without some Hollywood special effects. And yes, this thing is a lot thinner than I expected. The official dimensions as posted in advance were always correct, but holding it makes a big difference. My Treo 700p feels like a bloated old calculator now!
                              Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
                              Hey Pz, is that with the "recent:" prefix?
                              Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              Check your GMail settings. I've got mine set so that when I retrieve the mail via POP3, it archives the messages. And it's also set so that POP3 only retrieves non-archived messages.
                              True, true. There are various tricks I should use (never saw the "recent:" one, though), but... really, the brilliance of Gmail's web interface is what I'm after, not a POP kludge. At my computer, Mac or PC, I always have Gmail open (so I don't want a POP client archiving anything while I'm not looking!). I've started to just hit the m.gmail.com lightweight interface so I can have Gmail behave the way I want it to, even on the iPhone.
                              Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                              Great ending!! i love it. so was that one of the news reporters that bought one too?
                              Yep, looks like Tanya Joaquin picked up an iPhone during KHON's iPhone coverage. Wonder if that affected the objectivity of her coverage? Heh.
                              Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              Hey Ryan, how are you converting your life from treo to iphone? What was your calendar/todo/memo/address software (meaning, did you use palm desktop or entourage conduit to sync phone to computer) and what did you do to import into your iphone?
                              I'm a Mac guy, so to use the Treo, I used Missing Sync from Markspace so that my contacts went to Apple's Address Book, my events and tasks went to Apple's iCal, etc. All this stuff also got backed up to my 30GB video iPod, so boy was I covered. ANyway, with everything already in the Mac's default applications, I got everything over to the iPhone the first time I plugged it in! It was so seamless, it was scary.

The only oddities are (1.) no 'tasks' application on the iPhone, which seems like such a major ommision I can only imagine it's coming later, perhaps with Leopard, and (2.) events added on the iPhone can only be added/synced with one calendar in iCal -- the categorization/colorcoding so far isn't there. This too, I imagine, could be rectified via updates.

Yesterday at Aoki's in Haleiwa, a surfer in line asked to play with my iPhone. Even over EDGE, even way the heck out there, a YouTube video loaded relatively quickly. He was duly impressed and added it to his shopping list.

Comment

I gotta take my mentioning of the recent prefix back. iPhone won't let you add in a ":" in the address field. However, it does have a recent mode in the settings and it seems to be the same thing.

As for task lists, until Apple adds that functionality in, I'm trying out Listingly. They already created an interface for the iPhone but I haven't tried it over the Edge network.

Comment

Working...
                                X