Beware of Antec PSU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beware of Antec PSU's

I agree. Typically Antec PSU's are great power supplies but when you unplug while energized, even the best can fail.

Amazingly as it sounds, I've bought a crapload (over 20) of cheap A-Power 400-watt PSU's for around $10 a piece and have had only three of them fail. One failed because the client decided to attempt to replace his hard drive with the PSU still plugged in. But in all cases, it was the +5vdc supply that died. I gotta get into them and figure out how to fix that supply. I'm sure it's just a diode or some rectifier that needs changing.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ah, an electronics tech! I have a funny story that only an electronics tech would get, and I've been waiting for years to tell it...

I was showing a friend how to use a multimeter once, and stuck the leads into a power outlet to measure the AC voltage. I accidentally had it set for DC, and noticed 5V on the line. I said out loud, "Hmm... there's DC on this circuit. Heco needs to rectify that situation."

I thought I was being immensely clever, but my friend didn't get it. I've been dying to tell that story to someone who would.

Comment

I never had problems with the Antecs I've had on my machines. Good bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          Ah, an electronics tech! I have a funny story that only an electronics tech would get, and I've been waiting for years to tell it...

I was showing a friend how to use a multimeter once, and stuck the leads into a power outlet to measure the AC voltage. I accidentally had it set for DC, and noticed 5V on the line. I said out loud, "Hmm... there's DC on this circuit. Heco needs to rectify that situation."

I thought I was being immensely clever, but my friend didn't get it. I've been dying to tell that story to someone who would.
          ahhhh...heavy sine...wave.

I'd laugh but I'm a bit biased...DOH!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            I'd laugh but I'm a bit biased...DOH!
            You work for the power company? How does DC get on the line anyway? I was curious about that.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
              You work for the power company? How does DC get on the line anyway? I was curious about that.
              I used to work for the Gas Company...different enegy media but my hobby is electronics.

When you probe an AC circuit with a DVM set to read DC, the meter reads either fluctuations (the reading swings from positive to negative readings) or will read an average giving one the impression of a DC signal. A Differential Volt Meter will do just that.

Comment

Working...
              X