Bush v. Kerry in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bush v. Kerry in Hawaii

I agree the strong military presence here is a substantial factor in these "surprising" results. I don't know if I've read anything explicitly stating so, but I'm almost certain troop deployment levels from Hawaii are about the highest they've ever been. Whether locals or locals-at-heart, we've got a lot of lives on the line... and whether you're for or against the war, you're definitely going to be paying attention and voting in higher numbers than during peace time.

I imagine this is true in any community that has strong military roots.

With the polls showing Hawaii in play, the Star-Bulletin reports that some national advertising dollars are being tossed our way.

Actually, watching national cable stations, I have already been seeing some presidential campaign ads. Has anyone caught a Bush or Kerry ad airing alongside local programming, or in local ad slots?

I don't think we're going to become a "key swing state" anytime soon, and for that, I think, I'm grateful. If you lived in Iowa, there wouldn't be a moment of the day where you weren't bombarded with politics. On the phone, on the radio and TV... local ads, official campaign ads, and ads from every group that has a stake in the election. It sounds insane.

Comment

This article about Hawaii's sudden prominence in the presidential election made me wince:

And experts said that while most of Hawaii's population remained of Asian origin, more caucasian Americans had retired here, possibly swaying the voting demographic.
      Huh? This is wrong on so many levels.

First off, it's not the incoming haole retirees that are really changing the ethnic demographic, it's the incoming working-age haoles. And they have a more lasting effect, because they raise families and (probably) stick around, unlike the retirees who generally don't.

And second, I just don't buy the standard ethnicity=politics equation any more. Ethnicity is not the critical factor in politics in Hawai'i; income level is. Rich people vote similarly, regardless of whether they're haole, Japanese, Hawaiian, or Filipino. And poor people likewise. Now that these days there is a fairly wide variation of income in most ethnic groups, this has become obvious. So basing political voting expectations on race is, in my opinion, just plain foolish.

Comment

Re: Bush and Kerry are in a dead heat!

Originally posted by j3rr3y
        . . .I am voting for Bush again this year, more because I feel it isn't too smart to change leaders in the midst of a war, and I think Bush will be a lot stronger on terrorism. Terrorism overrides the economy, health care, and those issues to me, because they all depend on peace, and I really think Bush will get the job done as quickly and effectively as possible.
        Regarding change in the middle of a war, here's a quote:

“I hate it when they say you shouldn’t change horses in mid-stream. The horse can’t swim and it’s in way over its head and that horse shouldn’t have crossed the stream in the first place, and there’s a good democratic mule right there.
        So change that horse.
        Change it.”

–James Taylor at the final Vote for Change concert last Monday night.

Whether you agree with the sentiment or not, I thought that was well put.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Bush and Kerry are in a dead heat!

well if you want to use that analogy, I would rather have a huge elephant than a mule if i was crossing a deep stream

Comment

Let's keep this thread specific to the presidential race as it unfolds here in the islands. I've lost count of how many threads there are in the American Asylum to discuss national politics and the Bush v. Kerry race overall.

Comment

Well, the big hitters are gonna be here. KITV tells us that Cheney will be here for an 11:00pm rally Sunday night at the Convention Center, and that it will be his fifth state of the day. Even though I despise him, I gotta say that's impressive for a man with a stent in his heart valves.

On the Democratic side, we've got Al Gore (you remember, the guy who won the popular vote in 2000?) arriving Friday for a 6:00-8:00pm rally at Farrington HS. Vanessa Kerry will also be there, and she may stick around for some Saturday rallies as well.

And the Presidential candidate himself (JFK) will be doing one-on-one interviews with local TV reporters via satellite. It's unclear if that's five minutes for a reporter from each station, or a pool, or what.
              Last edited by Linkmeister; October 28, 2004, 07:49 PM. Reason: Add Kerry call info

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                Well, the big hitters are gonna be here. KITV tells us that Cheney will be here for an 11:00pm rally Sunday night at the Convention Center, and that it will be his fifth state of the day. Even though I despise him, I gotta say that's impressive for a man with a stent in his heart valves.
                Well I think it is appropriate Cheney here on Halloween, that will be quite a late night or day for him and everyone else too.

On the Democratic side, we've got Al Gore (you remember, the guy who won the popular vote in 2000?) arriving Friday for a 6:00-8:00pm rally at Farrington HS. Vanessa Kerry will also be there, and she may stick around for some Saturday rallies as well.
                Sure wish Edwards could come but I understand flying from the east or midwest where they are at now primarily takes in just flight time round trip a full day of campaigning wiped out by just sitting on the airplane.

I'll give credit for Bush-Cheney for fighting for Hawaii after the state has been so ignored by everyone for years.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                  I'll give credit for Bush-Cheney for fighting for Hawaii after the state has been so ignored by everyone for years.
                  Yeah, we were ignored by all sides equally. The DNC took us for granted, the RNC figured, "Why bother?" Now both sides want to be our best friend.

It's the RNC with the biggest opportunity given the latest numbers here, so it's an aggressive move to bring number-two Cheney all the way out. Then again, I guess he'll be on a whirlwind tour (hitting only one event), so we're just another hole to punch on a pretty crowded card. On the Democratic side, there's Al Gore and Alexandra Kerry, who aren't on the ticket but are expected to "energize the base."

Whatever side you're on, all this sudden attention is both exciting and a little sad. It's nice to matter, even a little, but it just highlights just how neglected we've been up 'til now.

Having mainland ads flooding the airwaves, crammed in alongside the already heavy local campaigning, is interesting. To think the folks in Iowa and Florida have it ten times worse than we do. I'm personally tickled to see MoveOn PAC advertising, since for once my puny little contribution to a distant cause is affecting something locally. And the fact that the DNC specifically assembled an ad directed squarely at Hawaii? As Burl Burlingame says, "We're special again."

Comment

From David Briscoe's Associated Press article on Cheney:

In response to a question, Lingle said it was more important for Bush to win the presidency than for Hawaii to be represented by Republicans in Congress...."With four days left, it's more important for the president to get re-elected," Lingle said.

Are we to assume she couldn't care less about Gabbard, Tanonaka, and Cavasso winning?
                    Last edited by BKHale2007; October 29, 2004, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                      From David Briscoe's Associated Press article on Cheney:

In response to a question, Lingle said it was more important for Bush to win the presidency than for Hawaii to be represented by Republicans in Congress...."With four days left, it's more important for the president to get re-elected," Lingle said.

Are we to assume she couldn't care less about Gabbard, Tanonaka, and Cavasso winning?
                      Well, I've had a robo-call from her exhorting me to vote for Jerry Coffee in my state house district, so she seems to want more Republicans in the legislature here.

Comment

Here's another national-media whopper about Hawai'i and the presidential campaigns:

With the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, Hawaii has none of the economic problems that many states on the mainland have. (MSNBC)
                        Say what? Tell that to my friends who are searching for jobs that will earn them a decent living.

Comment

Although unattributed, I think that comes from the local Republican committee. I heard the chairman saying that the MoveOn ad which cited Hawai'i job losses was wrong (he should check the source at the bottom of the screen before he whines...I've been impressed that each "page" of MoveOn's ads has a source listed).

Comment

Weekly Standard
                            Why Bush May Win Hawaii

IT'S THE ISSUE that just won't stay in the closet. Republican politicians run skittishly from talking about same-sex marriage. The polls from Hawaii indicate they should be highlighting it.

Hawaii elects Republicans about as often as the Red Sox win the World Series. Only twice since statehood has a Republican president carried Hawaii (Nixon in 1972 and Reagan in 1984). Yet the latest polls show Bush leading Kerry by a percentage point. National and state Democrats are in a tizzy. How can this be? The unknown factor may be Republican Mike Gabbard's campaign in Hawaii's second congressional district.
                            Interesting. I think Lingle should rethink that she couldn't care less if Republicans got into the house.

Comment

Did anyone who is supporting Bush make it into the rally at the Convention Center today with Dick Cheney? If so, can you let the rest of us know how tough it was for you to get those credentials (what you had to attest to, sign, etc)? I've been hearing reports from all over the place that you have to swear loyalty to George Bush and have to sign a piece of paper saying that you swear your loyalty. Can anyone confirm this, please.

At some other Republican rallies, "moles" have had to lie their way in to get a ticket, whereas they never encountered any problems getting into the Democratic rallies.

Just curious.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The rally "loyalty oaths" are no joke. (Ian Lind confirmed yesterday that you needed to sign one to get tickets.) If it's a private event, that's one thing, but if the public is ostensibly invited, or if taxpayer funds are used to handle logistics, the requirement to sign something to affirm one's allegiance (and promise to hold one's tongue) is positively apalling... as is the use of the supposedly nonpartisan Secret Service to enforce the 'supporters only' zone.

Various anti-Bush groups are converging on the Convention Center tonight to make their views heard, even if they won't be heard inside. At least the fact that Cheney's bow isn't until nearly midnight will probably adversely affect his live audience as well.

Then again, timing wise, it's pure genius -- it might be too late for the public (pro or con), but not too late for the front pages of Monday's newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                                X