Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to volunteer for election duties - w/$!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to volunteer for election duties - w/$!

Go to - www.hawaii.gov/elections/volunteers/precinctofficials.htm where you can get info and sign up on-line.

I've done this twice, and it's been fun. And, you get paid!
    Plus, they really need, and are usually short on, common sense/reliable people.
    It's an easy way to give to your community.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Time to volunteer for election duties - w/$!

After several elections as precinct official and a couple as voter assistance official, I've been asked to be a precinct chair at my polling place, 30-03 Kapalama Elementary School. I have three reliable friends in place (one as my VAO), four returnees from previous years (important, because I don't speak any Filipino languages and that came in handy two years ago), and three spots to fill. I begged the coordinator to let me fill those spots with my own people, so if I know you in real life and you're interested in serving your country (just perhaps not in your district) with me, let me know. I have six or seven people thinking it over for me (most of my friends will have to take the day off from work on general election day, as will I), but I want to make sure my bases are covered.

If you've never done it, I strongly recommend it. You go through a simple training (with an open-book test), and most of election day is a breeze, especially if you have a VAO and PC who know what they're doing.

Also, and I didn't really realize this until six years ago, if you're the type to sit in front of the television all night with your eyes on the map, watching those states turn to blue or red, it actually HELPS to work the polls. You're so busy that you don't think much about the results nationwide, and by the time you're done, you're pretty tired and you won't find the results-watching stressful. I know I don't.

I was disappointed to have missed a lot of the live thread on HT on election night two years ago, but that's a small price to pay for the knowledge of the fact that you helped democracy happen. The money's not much ($70 per election for a precinct official, or about seven bucks per hour), so think of it as bonus. The real pay is knowing that people got to exercise their duties and rights as American citizens partly because of your contribution. It feels good.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've signed up more than once and never was contacted. Maybe they have enough people in my area, Hawaii Kai. They didn't at the Dem primary, but, no one knew what to expect for that!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Cool, Scriv!

I've been PC for the last two majors ($125) and have my own method of doing it after learning the hard way for the first, but it make's an interesting day. Fun too, when you're the boss!

LG, I seriously doubt they had enuf people. It's more likely the, at times, seemingly uncoordinated staff didn't have it together to simply get back to you.

This is the problem, and why I'm asking for good people to do whatever they can to help out. It's weird that such an important event can be so disorganized. One example - Last time for me, in 2004, I didn't get my box of supplies until 7:05, 5 mins after doors were to open! Unexceptable.
        But, with experienced leadership, these obstacles can be handled and get it happening well. There are staff available by phone to help work out whatever may arise, so you're not left alone in the dark.
        It certainly helps to have a positive attitude during the whole 12+ hour day, but most workers are as such and everybody is willing to do whatever is needed, usually.

Try it, I think you'll like it!

Comment

Lavagal, you might also consider volunteering at a precinct out of your 'hood. Four years ago, one of my friends heard that Sunset Beach Elementary was short something like eight workers, so we got eight friends together and staffed nearly the whole thing ourselves. The appreciation from the community was vocal, and I got to tell Owana Salazar how much I love her voice.

I also chatted up Jack Johnson for close to an hour and he left his wallet behind. Yes, I had Jack Johnson's lost wallet in my grubby little eBay-loving paws.

And then I met a close relative of Krist Novoselic, which was even cooler than the Jack Johnson thing but not as cool as chatting with Owana Salazar, whom I dreamt about that night.

Oh yeah, the election. Anyway, if you haven't heard from someone after a couple of weeks, you should call back. There seem to be a lot of organizational problems in that office.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Funny, I got to shout down Brickwood for walking in yakkin away on his cell phone...

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Lavagal, you might also consider volunteering at a precinct out of your 'hood. Four years ago, one of my friends heard that Sunset Beach Elementary was short something like eight workers, so we got eight friends together and staffed nearly the whole thing ourselves. The appreciation from the community was vocal, and I got to tell Owana Salazar how much I love her voice.

I also chatted up Jack Johnson for close to an hour and he left his wallet behind. Yes, I had Jack Johnson's lost wallet in my grubby little eBay-loving paws.

And then I met a close relative of Krist Novoselic, which was even cooler than the Jack Johnson thing but not as cool as chatting with Owana Salazar, whom I dreamt about that night.

Oh yeah, the election. Anyway, if you haven't heard from someone after a couple of weeks, you should call back. There seem to be a lot of organizational problems in that office.
              My gawd, Scriv, you're a living legend!
              I may look into it again. I do enjoy meeting and talking to people.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

OK...I went to the website and signed up to volunteer either or both days. I live on the Windward side so have no idea what kind of help they consistently have, but Scriv, if you want to recruit me for your area, I'd be glad to help out. (I speak some Spanish but no Filipino...sorry!)

Comment

I did the Palolo area back in 73 or 74 when I was dorming at UH. Great little job for spending money. I think I got paid something like $5 per hour. Not bad for someone who doesn't have any other income besides his parents.
                  I do remember registering several dozen new voters. Swore them in and everything. Fun.

Now 34 years later and a back injury, I'd love to do it again, but the old back won't let me do it for the amount of hours they're asking and I won't pass their minimum requirement for lifting. <sigh> I told the wife I wanted to sign up and she looked at me and laughed. "You? Whatchu going do wen your back gets sore? Tell them you going lie down for a little while? HAHAHAHAHA!" That woman.......she got no mercy. <LOL>

Comment

I found out this week that I will be working at my own polling place at Windward Community College. Yeahh! I will work at the primary in Sept. and the regular election in Nov. I'm really looking forward to it...thanks to Ron for starting this thread.

Comment

As you all know, tomorrow is the election. I'll be working as precinct chair with a few good friends, a couple of my former students (they handled yearbook AND my literature AND my math classes; this will be a piece of cake!), HT's own D'Alani, and a few folks I haven't met yet. Set up the precinct this evening with a terrific first-time facilities manager and am getting the ingredients for spinach rolls as soon as I post this.

AlohaCandy, I think it's great that you're working at WCC. Ron, where did you say your precinct was?

Props to anyone else working the polls (Mel? Party observer again?) so that democracy can be executed. There are all kinds of problems with the system (let me tell you sometime about the misadventures of my precinct supply box) and the office of elections sometimes seems like a mess, but it's a huge, important job and somehow it all gets done.

Don't forget to vote, everyone!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                      X