Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Native Hawaiian independence?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Are there any descendant-representatives of those peoples still around to receive said proposed apology?
    As far as I know, everyone came from the China. So, they could apologize to me. I'll take whatever I can get.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just heard on our replay of the local news that the kingdom of hawaii group will be charged and when someone asked the wife of what he believe's he's king that the wife said objection and this is all true.im not being unkind only this is what i learned on the replay of the local news.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Started in the 19th century, and so far, it hasn't gone the way of the dodo.
        Racism started way back when Homo Sapiens began a campaign discriminating against Neanderthals.

The Neanderthals were relegated to caves in the lousy neighborhoods. Never got the choice cuts from mastodons. Were denied the opportunity to develop a decent language, etc.

Kahea... Regarding the survey, you might want to consider other ways of conducting the survey. Develop a procedure where your results would be a more accurate cross-section of the community. Right now by inviting responses you'll get skewed results.

Comment

Kahea - I would like to take your survey but when I go to the link, it allows me to fill in the first page & then gives an error message.

also, and this is just my personal opinion - by calling yourself "Native" Hawaiian, you are buying into the Akaka Bill's intent to classify you as a member of a tribe, like Navajos or Sioux. Is that how you see yourself - as a tribal member? or do you see yourself as ETHNICALLY Hawaiian, or Hawaiian by NATIONALITY? There is a major difference and it is one of the reasons that so many object strongly to the Akaka Bill. Only by understanding the political history of the last 125 years can you begin to make these distinctions. I have non-Hawaiian friends who consider themselves as Hawaiian by Nationality (their ancestors signed the Ku`e Petitions) and they are correct in doing so since prior to 1898, "Hawaiian" was a political description, not just ethnicity.

I would be very interested in speaking more with you and would like it if you could PM me. Hopefully, we could figure out a way I could take your survey.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I would be very interested in speaking more with you and would like it if you could PM me.
            If the OP contacts you, please let them know that they should consider a return to posting, to fill us in on this project. After six posts in this thread from kahea67, over two months ago, we've had no further communication.

Comment

A video from 1989 of American Indian Russel Means testifying at a Senate Hearing.

See any similarities to the native hawaiian comunity?
              Would the Akaka Bill help or hinder 'Hawaiians' cause?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVANRroxuOo
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                A video from 1989 of American Indian Russel Means testifying at a Senate Hearing.
                I don't know why Russel Means wanted to stay on the reservation, or wanted that for his people. Such a provincial and restricted life there. I'm part Native American -- somewhat less than half -- and my mother's people left the reservation long ago, to become part of the big world civilization. They assimilated. I'm very happy they made that choice. Would I prefer now to be threading beads, weaving rugs, running a gambling palace, or whatever the ones left behind do? Not in a million years.

I wouldn't try to put myself in the place of Native Hawaiians to decide whether they should pursue an independent and separate society. Not my business. But why in the world would they want to do such a thing? It seems very strange.
                Greg

Comment

Working...
                X