Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a landfill site

Originally posted by mel
    Thanks for setting the record straight Glen. At least no one is throwing anonymous red bricks at my opposite opinion. I still maintain that we should go back to private open burning too. We did it all the time on the Big Island when I was a kid.
    Opposite opinions don't automatically cause red bricks. How those opinions are stated can and do cause red bricks! Of course, now that the chiclets are gone so is anonymity! You stated your opinion factually (whether or not the facts were accurate) and forthrightly. Nuthin' wrong with that!

Comment

Fewer people=less rubbish

It's funny when baby boomers talk of fewer people. Now that's irony.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        Fewer people=less rubbish

It's funny when baby boomers talk of fewer people. Now that's irony.
        Remember, I'm the one WITHOUT kids and you have how many?... And when I see how spoiled and self-indulgent my nephews are, I'm glad I didn't add to the gene pool!

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; March 13, 2006, 07:54 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          We also have a volcano burning at 2000 degrees. Pele chose to solve our rubbish problem for us. We just ignore the solution. But that solution would be way too practical. Practicality takes a back seat to "belief" in today's modern society. After all, it's much easier to "believe" what feels good than to do what is pracitical.
          Just for the sake of argument, 'cuz I certainly don't support the idea, here are some numbers on using Madam Pele's current home as Honolulu's lua. Waimānalo Gulch Landfill was originally designed with a planned capacity of 6,650,000 cubic yards (reference). I am guessing it's maybe double that by now. By contrast, the volume of Halemaʻumaʻu Crater is about 345,000,000 cubic yards (reference, calculation), about 50 times as much. So there's plenty of space. Right?

Comment

I'm not thinking of the crater so much as Puu O'o, where the lava comes from right now. Oh well. Pointless to even discuss due to the reality of the situation.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Just for the sake of argument, 'cuz I certainly don't support the idea, here are some numbers on using Madam Pele's current home as Honolulu's lua. Waimānalo Gulch Landfill was originally designed with a planned capacity of 6,650,000 cubic yards (reference). I am guessing it's maybe double that by now. By contrast, the volume of Halemaʻumaʻu Crater is about 345,000,000 cubic yards (reference, calculation), about 50 times as much. So there's plenty of space. Right?
              Unless I'm mistaken which I am actually hoping I am, I think Timkona is suggesting we throw the garbage into an active vent and let the lava burn it up.

Comment

you got it Paul....but it will never happen....way too practical....the politics of NO would blow a gasket at the mere suggestion.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

For the sake of discussing this alternative, how do you propose getting garbage close enough to the active vent to toss it into the vent? What would that cost? I thought the only way to get to Pu'u O'o was by foot because of the rugged terrain?

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; March 13, 2006, 10:56 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Terrain might be rugged....but likely no bones in the way, so a road would be easy to build.

I'm sure an engineer could dream up a way to get the rubbish into the puka.

But for the cultural issues, it's not really that far-fetched. I bet Pele would approve.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Don't push Oahu's problem off on Maui County. We got enough 'opala as it is. But hey, I hear Hawaii County has lotsa open space out there on the lava fields!
                      With the current sensitivity engrained into the Hawaiian community, you know darn well something like this would never happen on Kahoolawe (putting a landfill there).

Putting trash in the path of an active volcano lava flow may be something to consider. Someone earlier mentioned dumping it into the active volcano. I'm for that, if it were cost efficient and doable... perhaps with a big helicopter or something. I don't know.
                      Last edited by mel; March 13, 2006, 09:55 PM.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Big island could be generating all it's own electricty from geothermal.

Not only that, but it could be saving millions of gallons of oil (and save at least 1/3rd on electricity) and carbon dioxide dumped into the atmosphere.

Why isn't it? The nay-sayers said it offended Madam Pele!

Comment

Yep, the politics of Hawaiian fanatacism, overules common economic sense in the State of Hawaii.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X