Congressional Debate 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Fm: I did not support hanabusa in this election. I was not speaking in her defense.

Out of respect for the other posters on this thread - please stay on topic. The topic of the discussion is not emily's list.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Ed Case withdraws from the 1st Congressional race at Hawaii Democratic Convention.

And raised Colleen Hanabusa's hand.

Democrats unite!

Lynn Vasquez
      Last edited by 1stwahine; May 30, 2010, 11:50 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Ed Case withdraws from the 1st Congressional race at Hawaii Democratic Convention.
        Democrats unite!
        Lynn Vasquez
        An honorable move for him - and possibly the only real option available to him, considering how the race played out. But others will share their take on it, and I look forward to reading 'em ...

Comment

Honestly that kind of defeats the purpose of the primary election, unless Case wants to run in another office like the Lt. Governor or the Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Democrats unite!

Lynn Vasquez
            that shows how much class the man has. now the dems can go forward united and get the congressional seat back in november. good on him!
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

hi this is sansei and since i was hoping ed c was going to be run for the seat and he decided not to,im not positive if i'd vote for c hanabusa is even though a dem,imoho,i think ed c would've been a good dem to go against djou.

for mayor,if k caldwell ran,he's got my vote and for gov,i'd vote mufi,he'd make a good gov.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                Fm: I did not support hanabusa in this election. I was not speaking in her defense.

Out of respect for the other posters on this thread - please stay on topic. The topic of the discussion is not emily's list.
                The topic of Emily's List was mentioned. Since they donated a rather large sum to a candidate in this congressional race, discussing that organization is fair game, AFAIAC. Feel free to disagree with that, but it won't change my view on the matter.

One thing about Ed Case's e-mail to his supporters. He announces his withdrawal.... but does not tell his supporters to go out and campaign for Hanabusa. In fact, he doesn't even mention her name.

Interesting.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

well, he did make it pretty clear at the convention when he raised Hanabusa's hand and wished her well.
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

well, he did make it pretty clear at the convention when he raised Hanabusa's hand and wished her well.
                    And that act clearly shows that Ed Case is a class act deserving of my vote if I could vote for him.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I see. Well, I wonder if there will be a follow-up e-mail that will reflect that sentiment.

Since Case's move amounts to an olive branch of sorts, I also wonder if this move will prompt Inouye and Akaka to likewise bury the hatchet.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FM - this all went down at the convention today. There are reports in both papers about what was said, by all parties involved. and it was all positive. His email was sent early in the day before his convention appearance.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          I also wonder if this move will prompt Inouye and Akaka to likewise bury the hatchet.
                          Is there a feud between Inouye and Akaka?

Comment

no - he was referring to their feud with Case. doesn't anyone ever read newspapers or watch tv? this has been talked about since 2006!
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

no - he was referring to their feud with Case. doesn't anyone ever read newspapers or watch tv? this has been talked about since 2006!
                              this really grates on me when you prejudicially accuse Inouye and Akaka of being the sole individuals who have a “feud” with Case. Obviously, as the special election results show, MANY voters had a feud with with Ed Case. It’s really fundamental and easy to understand. In partisan politics you respect the senior politicians in your party, unless you intend to bring a radically different agenda. Case showed no such respect. He for absolutely no reason, chose to challenge his kupuna, U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka in 2006, for no other reason than age. He had no new ideas or fresh perspective to bring to the seat — at least none he articulated during the race. No, his sole motivating factor was vanity and arrogance. His attitude was “you have nothing to teach me Dan Inouye and/or Dan Akaka. I am God. I know everything. I can run circles around you in my sleep. So f** you and everything you stand for. I am entitled to the seat, so get the f** out of my way, gramps.” Obviously the voters felt different. Obviously the voters are a bit more intelligent and realize that Case threw everything away when he treated the seniority he had earned on behalf of Hawai‘i as simply a trophy to be packed away in a box and stored at Hawai‘i Self Storage.

Bottom line: if you want change in Hawai‘i, don’t pussyfoot around. The Democratic Party in Hawai‘i has had their chance to make a mark in Hawai‘i. They are no longer effective in representing the greater needs of the United States of America. At the top of the list of the most important things needed at this point in time: fiscal discipline. Neither Hanabusa nor Case have the first clue of how to implement such an idea. Neither have the track record. I don’t like Charles Djou, but at least he has his priorities straight. STOP SPENDING TAXPAYER MONEY. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS. Until our national debt is zero and our national deficit is zero, this is the how we can best serve the next generation of Americans.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

In the Advertiser this morning:
                                http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e=nletter-news

"Praise from party"

Inouye was accused by some national Democrats of putting his personal feelings against Case ahead of his party. Case had angered Inouye and other traditional Democrats with his unsuccessful challenge to U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawai'i, in a primary for Senate in 2006.

Inouye said Case's withdrawal was not vindication. He said he was deeply moved by Case's gesture.

"He showed that he was a Democrat," he said. "When we must fight, we fight. When it's over, we embrace each other."

Abercrombie, whose February resignation to concentrate on his campaign in the Democratic primary for governor led to the special election, said Case showed a civic conscience. "It took a lot of guts to try to go for the greater good ..." Abercrombie said. "And to have a public conscience to say that the direction that he thought the Republican Party was going to take with Mr. Djou in Congress was something that he could not abide."

David Fry, an activist involved with the Young Democrats of Hawai'i, said the format of the special election allowed Djou to win with a plurality. Sixty percent of the voters who participated preferred Hanabusa and Case in the traditionally Democratic district."

And

"But Case told delegates yesterday that he was proud to be a Democrat. Many said the emotion his announcement caused, and the hugs he received afterward, were genuine. "When Ed spoke, you could feel the courage in that room," said Chuck Freedman, a Democratic strategist."

There you go...the fight is ova. Honi honi = we concentrate and work together in sending a Democrat to Washington.

Case closed.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X