Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The City & County of Honolulu Mayor's Race for 2010

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Congrats, Aunty! And on that note, please take Frankie’s well wishes to heart. LikaNui crunches some exciting numbers, but remember, there were also a substantial amount of blank votes. There’s still much work to do!
    I'm fully aware of the "blank votes" and will work hard TuNnl!

This is my second try at Public Office. I learned alot from my first campaign manager. And as I always say "Dreams always comes true; you just gotta believe!"

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

hi in response to likanui,im not naive since i've been around in my youth and when i was in the 70's i did follow the election's when gov ariyoshi was gov and then after when ariyoshi was defeated,then we had a new gov up to our current gov ll and hoping not that abercrombie wont become gov is he'd unveto the veto that current gov ll did and if it happen's,when he speak's on tv,i'll just mute him and for lt gov bs and for mayor pc.

i do know how politic's are,we my deceased father once signed waved for rt who ran for mayor and it was our privalage and for mayor,i may have lost and for lt gov,i may have lost only bs and pc i'll put on mute.

i've been around since i was born in the mid 60's and when we moved here,we came here from the big island in the end of the 60's so i thought to share this tmi with you.

well thank's for your time also i may or may not vote r maybe for d aiona if he keep's the veto on for civil union's.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        The Time of Change Has Begun.
        I hope you win, but what does "the time of change has begun" mean? It's been a Democrat-dominated state for as long as I can remember. Although the incumbent is a Republican (a fairly popular incumbent, I should add), it was a Democratic district for years before she was elected. In her time in office, she has done very little to ruffle the feathers of the constituency. I get the impression that nobody really has a problem with her. Do you?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
          it's also true what walkoffbalk said,and aunapuni808,im not politically naive,i saw this sort of campaigning since i was a youth since when gov then was ariyoshi was in and i've seen it all,all up to current gov ll and i know how politic's are.
          The next time you see NA. You can say, "Excuse me, Gov. Abecrombie. May I shake your hand." The only people who shake stranger's hands on a walkby and eye contact are the president and ex-presidents. There might be other people who want to shake stranger's hands, but you don't want to shake their hands,
          Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 19, 2010, 08:44 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            I hope you win, but what does "the time of change has begun" mean?
            "The time of change." is just my way of expressing what was said yesterday at the Unity Breakfast, to put back a Democrat in Washington Place.

Lynn

Comment

Although the incumbent is a Republican (a fairly popular incumbent, I should add), it was a Democratic district for years before she was elected.
              I was wondering something about that - it was my understanding that District 27 had voted heavily Democratic for a long time, before Rep. Ching was elected; was there something specific that happened in this district that caused voters to choose a Republican representative?

Comment

Although the incumbent is a Republican (a fairly popular incumbent, I should add), it was a Democratic district for years before she was elected. In her time in office, she has done very little to ruffle the feathers of the constituency. I get the impression that nobody really has a problem with her. Do you?
                The "For" and "Agianst" the National Heritage Area came in front of NB 15 when I was a Member. I was shock that my opponent knew about it 5-6 years and didn't inform her constituents. I have testified with other residents in front of Sen. Carol Fukunaga earlier this year. As of now it is on hold in Washington. How long? We don't know. It is of great importance that people be educated and know what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyhIOqNaP7g

http://www.honolulualliance.org/

Mahalo,

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  I was wondering something about that - it was my understanding that District 27 had voted heavily Democratic for a long time, before Rep. Ching was elected; was there something specific that happened in this district that caused voters to choose a Republican representative?
                  There are a couple of factors. I'm not in the district, but I worked in it for several years and live in the adjacent district. Ching actually lost two or three times before winning, and always just by a handful of votes (fewer than thirty in at least one), so the district was ripe. The former incumbent (Lei Ahu Isa) had been fairly popular but then she seemed to go kind of wacko.

You know, there's a very good chance I'm getting the order of events mixed up (Isa also served in the state senate, and I was off island for a few years). But what's not mixed up is that Nuuanu is mostly an affluent neighborhood and although the district includes some very long-time Japanese residents (read: Democrat), the younger, more recent residents are not unlikely to skew the other way. That's my take.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Lei Ahu Isa was never in the Senate. She held that house seat until the mid 2000s when she ran for the Senate but lost in the Republican primary to Gordon Trimble, who was then elected to the Senate. He subsequently lost the seat in 2008 to Brickwood.

Ahu Isa had changed parties from D to R in the last few months of her House term.

After the Senate setback she ran for BOE and won.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I know we've veered far off topic here, but I would add that Ching was an elementary school teacher at highly regarded public school. I don't know if that helped, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. I'd have voted for her if I'd been in her district based almost entirely on that.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks for the information, even if we are off-topic; I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          There are a couple of factors. I'm not in the district, but I worked in it for several years and live in the adjacent district. Ching actually lost two or three times before winning, and always just by a handful of votes (fewer than thirty in at least one), so the district was ripe. The former incumbent (Lei Ahu Isa) had been fairly popular but then she seemed to go kind of wacko.

You know, there's a very good chance I'm getting the order of events mixed up (Isa also served in the state senate, and I was off island for a few years). But what's not mixed up is that Nuuanu is mostly an affluent neighborhood and although the district includes some very long-time Japanese residents (read: Democrat), the younger, more recent residents are not unlikely to skew the other way. That's my take.
                          Liliha-Nuuanu has always been a swing district. The area has elected both Democrats and Republicans. Before Republican Ching, there was Lei Isa (a Democrat at the time). Prior to Isa, there was Suzanne Chun (D). And before that, Mike Liu (R) was the rep. And going back to the 1970s, the late Richard "Ike" Sutton (R) was elected to the State House out of this area for a few terms.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Did anyone else see this on Hawaii News Now tonight?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...partnerclipid=

I work in the Mission Memorial Building. NO I didn't want to move there. YES I'm worried about asbestos too!

Our Mayor Elect's behavior at the press conference and refusal to work from my building tells me that it's good enough for ME but not for HIM.

Oh and what's up with HNN? Keahi got Carlisle and Caldwell confused and the word "transition" is spelled incorrectly on the OTS.
                            Last edited by kiwidiva; September 22, 2010, 12:33 AM.
                            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

lets not start blaming him for things already - he's not even in office yet and has no power to move anyone from there.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

If Mayor Elect Carlisle is smart, one of his first actions as Mayor should be to move people out of that building (red brick) and have it checked for asbestos.

Comment

Working...
                                X