Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Keeping the topic related to capital punishment, the 2nd Amendment/gun accessibility argument doesn't explain those on death row who have killed by strangulation, drowning, stabbing, poisoning, torture, hired hit, arson, etc...

Comment

True, however the statistic I just found on the internet shows guns involved in 68 % of the murders in 2007. Might come in handy on Jeopardy some day.

Comment

Hi Kalalau,
        We do agree on that one thing. Having free gun ownerships does not help our homicide rates at all. There are some people who believe that more guns in our society would mean less crime, but I think it is common sense to know that guns are used for crimes more than they are used for self-defense.

When it comes to capital punishment, as I see it, the punishment should fit the crime. A person spending his entire life without freedom is not enough punishment for a heinous murder.
        Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
          Keeping the topic related to capital punishment, the 2nd Amendment/gun accessibility argument doesn't explain those on death row who have killed by strangulation, drowning, stabbing, poisoning, torture, hired hit, arson, etc...
          Contrarily, it does. More than 60% of all homicides in this country are committed with guns, and more than 60% of all the murderers on Death Row murdered with a gun.

Comment

As long as the debate doesn't get into something absurd like: "Gun owners are X times more likely to be... blah blah blah." Otherwise I'd have a multiplier bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
              As long as the debate doesn't get into something absurd like: "Gun owners are X times more likely to be... blah blah blah." Otherwise I'd have a multiplier bonus.
              I agree. If anyone wishes to argue about guns and the second amendment, they should start a thread on it.

I took my family to Japan in 2008, kids and all. (All of my kids are adults). When in Tokyo, I told my daughter, who is in law enforcement, that if we had that kind of population density in the US, someone would go beserk and kill some people. And she said Japan doesn't because there are no guns.... I agreed with her on that one, but still, if we had no guns in the USA, and that kind of population density someone or some people would still go beserk and commit a few murders, with or without a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                I now accept the right wing's attitude that the citizenry does need to be armed as a counterbalance to overpowering government.
                Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                Having free gun ownerships does not help our homicide rates at all. There are some people who believe that more guns in our society would mean less crime, but I think it is common sense to know that guns are used for crimes more than they are used for self-defense.
                Nobu, what you have just stated is what my generation would describe as an “epic fail.” It’s absurd that you favor capital punishment, yet you would disarm and punish upstanding law-abiding citizens by robbing them of their second amendment rights. Meanwhile, crime would skyrocket, since now criminals would be the only people with guns besides police and the military. This is how Nazi Germany started. Hitler, the police, and German military. Why don’t we just stand at attention now and raise our arms in unison yelling “Heil Obama!”

Up to now, you have used rhetoric and at least an occasional scientific argument to bolster your case. It’s obvious with this latest post, though, that in your zeal and emotion, you have failed to consider the same fact for your capital punishment argument that applies to your gun argument: criminals will always become more brazen when you encourage them. Banning guns would create a nation of little pigs just waiting for the Big Bad Wolves to blow them all to hell. Good job.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Heil Obama? I posted regarding Obama v. the birthers that Republicans have found it useful to totally demonize the opposition, citing how the Clintons were portrayed as the Perons of America. Now of course all thats forgotten, Rupert Murdoch even hosted a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton when she was running for President. Its just a convenient lie. The real goal is to con people into supporting the Replublican Party so they can deregulate Wall St. and foster vast stealing, the pattern goes back to Grant letting insiders corner the gold market and cause the panic of 1873. Harding. Nixon. And worst of all, bush letting Wall st. swindlers steal entire pension funds. If we are talking about crime here, that would definitely be a crime in which everybody involved should be executed, yes, I would favor the death penalty for that. It would be both justice and a very serious warning to people in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    Nobu, what you have just stated is what my generation would describe as an “epic fail.” It’s absurd that you favor capital punishment, yet you would disarm and punish upstanding law-abiding citizens by robbing them of their second amendment rights. Meanwhile, crime would skyrocket, since now criminals would be the only people with guns besides police and the military. This is how Nazi Germany started. Hitler, the police, and German military. Why don’t we just stand at attention now and raise our arms in unison yelling “Heil Obama!”

Up to now, you have used rhetoric and at least an occasional scientific argument to bolster your case. It’s obvious with this latest post, though, that in your zeal and emotion, you have failed to consider the same fact for your capital punishment argument that applies to your gun argument: criminals will always become more brazen when you encourage them. Banning guns would create a nation of little pigs just waiting for the Big Bad Wolves to blow them all to hell. Good job.
                    Hi TuNnL,
                    I think you mis-understand. First of all, I am a gun owner, as I own two handguns, a small bore 22, and a large bore 45, and I have owned as many as 20 guns in the past 30 years. I fired them in competition, so my use was strictly for recreation.

Still, if you wish to debate about guns, I will gladly enter that debate in a different thread, as this one is about capital punishment. (I am for stricter gun control laws.)

Thanks,
                    Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                      Heil Obama? I posted regarding Obama v. the birthers that Republicans have found it useful to totally demonize the opposition, citing how the Clintons were portrayed as the Perons of America. Now of course all thats forgotten, Rupert Murdoch even hosted a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton when she was running for President. Its just a convenient lie. The real goal is to con people into supporting the Replublican Party so they can deregulate Wall St. and foster vast stealing, the pattern goes back to Grant letting insiders corner the gold market and cause the panic of 1873. Harding. Nixon. And worst of all, bush letting Wall st. swindlers steal entire pension funds. If we are talking about crime here, that would definitely be a crime in which everybody involved should be executed, yes, I would favor the death penalty for that. It would be both justice and a very serious warning to people in the future.
                      Hi Kalalau,
                      While Obama and the presidency should be in another thread, my comment on this, is it will be very interesting to see the public opinions on him as the year 2012 arrives.
                      Nobu

Comment

Why don’t we just stand at attention now and raise our arms in unison yelling “Heil Obama!”
                        Tunnl, I am really disappointed in you. That was totally uncalled for!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Hi Matapule,
                          You must understand the fact that some people actually hate our president, and some do not like him. AND, some people love him. The problem here, is those who don't like him irritate those who do, and the vice-versa.
                          Nobu.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                            Hi Matapule,
                            You must understand the fact that some people actually hate our president, and some do not like him. AND, some people love him. The problem here, is those who don't like him irritate those who do, and the vice-versa.
                            Nobu.
                            You totally miss the point. But that's your perfect right.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Why don’t we just stand at attention now and raise our arms in unison yelling “Heil Obama!”
                              Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              To use an old adage, you can take the man out of a Tea Party rally. But you can't take the Tea Party stench out of the man.

This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How did Obama's name get involved with capital punishment?
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X