Abercrombie vs. Aiona: general election commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abercrombie vs. Aiona: general election commentary

Being that we are now in the general election phase, I thought this would be a good time to start a new thread dedicated to the gubernatorial contest.

The SA's Derrick DePledge has a theory on where Duke Aiona came up with the idea for his "Rise and Shine, Hawaii" campaign theme. Hehe, who knows?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Abercrombie vs. Aiona: general election commentary

I like the comment on the article that says "if you play a rise & shine commercial backwards, it says 'Paul is dead'".
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Did I see Aiona's commercial correctly of Abercrombie staring distorted into the camera like he's stoned?

Comment

in response to walkoffbalk,it's true,in aiona's commericial,you did see na looking into the camera looking like he was on something,hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

You kidding me? The bleeding hearts will elect Abercrombie in a landslide.

I thought I was gonna get a ton of free stuff when Obama was elected. Didn't happen. But my share of the fed debt sure did increase.

Guarantee Abercrombie will figure out how to tax us more. It's what he did best in DC.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

There seems to be more sign-wavers on sidewalks than any elections from these two candidate's supporters.
            Last edited by Walkoff Balk; October 12, 2010, 09:02 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I haven't made up my mind on where my vote is going yet, but I am leaning toward the more conservative Aiona for now.

Neither candidate looks stoned to me, and I think it is going to be a cleaner race than the Democratic primary.... I think both choices are good, and I predict that the first side that tries negative campaigning will lose.

Comment

How about an Abercrombie commercial that says, "Duke Aiona wants to ban all beer on the Aloha Stadium premises, Inside and the parking lots."?

Duke Aiona, making your life worse, 12 ounces at a time.

That would get some people's attention.
                You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Both, the Abercrombie v Iona race and the DJou v Hanabusa races are now too close to call. This election will be very interesting, and every vote counts.

Being that Hawaii is a liberal state, I would think the favorable bets would be on Abercrombie and Hanabusa, but we must remember that Lingle won the past two gubenatorial races, and Djou won the last interim election for Congress.

I am one of those who are listed as "undecided". I am neither a Republican or a Democrat. I will vote for the people who I feel will do the job better,
                  Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                    How about an Abercrombie commercial that says, "Duke Aiona wants to ban all beer on the Aloha Stadium premises, Inside and the parking lots."?
                    This is probably my biggest problem with Lt. Gov. Aiona. I am one of the few individuals on HT (not to mention the island) who attended the infamous meeting where they voted down Duke’s plan to ban alcohol.

Other than that, Aiona is the conservative choice, and the only one doing long-term thinking here. Abercrombie wants to beg for more federal dollars and become more dependent on the government, while Duke wants to help Hawai‘i become free and self-sufficient. Aiona will delay rail, and perhaps nix it, while Neil is rail’s biggest cheerleader and one of two men (the other being Dan Inouye) most responsible for ensuring the project has already received tens of million$ in federal funding.

It’s a tough choice. I may end up voting independent.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post

Duke Aiona, making your life worse, 12 ounces at a time.

That would get some people's attention.
                      What kind of Republican supports this junk. Hurting Business and supporting sumptuary prohibition laws. Boooooo Aiona. He'd probably support a regressive tax increase on beer too AS A REPUBLICAN!!!!!!|!!!

Comment

We all know that Prohibition did not work in the 20's and 30's.
                        We all know that Prohibition of drugs is a dismal failure today, that sucks money and resources out of our society.

How long will it take for folks to realize that Prohibition's always fail?

In fact, right here on HT, there are smart people who buy into the propaganda hook, line, and sinker. How can you justify prohibition of illegal drugs that kill 17,000 per year while cigarettes, which kill nearly 500,000 per year, remain legal. This is one of those arguments wherein folks will do whatever they can to avoid logic and reason.

If Aiona wants to ban beer at football games, well, harrumph! that's just Un-American.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

With all of his years working in Washington, I would think Abercrombie would have TON of accomplishments to list on his commercials or in brochures mailed to homes.

As for Aiona, I remember his work as a Judge for the State of Hawaii and if I remember correctly, he did a fine job and even helped start the Drug Courts.

That shows vision to me.

Sidenote: Hopefully the Democrats aren't going to take Aiona for granted.

My Grandmother is a loyal Democrat who only voted for a Republican politician ONCE in her life.

But this year she is voting Republican again.

Food for thought and she's in her 80's and born/raised in Hawaii.

Comment

The public has a very short memory.

Aiona made his proposal to restrict or ban alcohol at Stadium games in response to numerous fights and violent incidents at the Aloha Stadium.

At the time, I remember talking to people who were loyal season ticket holders of UH games but who didn't enjoy the games as much with all the drunkards and fights.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                              As for Aiona, I remember his work as a Judge for the State of Hawaii and if I remember correctly, he did a fine job and even helped start the Drug Courts.

That shows vision to me.

Sidenote: Hopefully the Democrats aren't going to take Aiona for granted. My Grandmother is a loyal Democrat who only voted for a Republican politician ONCE in her life. But this year she is voting Republican again. Food for thought and she's in her 80's
                              Actually, I do hope the Dems take Aiona for granted, because I want this to be a close race. Both sides possess traits the other lacks, and by splitting the vote 50/50 + 1, it will force the other candidate to incorporate the ideas of his opponent. IMHO, rail is the only good thing Abercrombie represents, and it’s not even his idea. Does he have an original idea of his own? I think I asked this in a previous thread and in three months, not a single HT member could come up with something.
                              Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                              The public has a very short memory. Aiona made his proposal to restrict or ban alcohol at Stadium games in response to numerous fights and violent incidents at the Aloha Stadium.
                              Duh! I think the public has a very good memory, they just don’t believe a ban would solve anything. People are violent with or without booze. Heck, football is a violent sport! Aiona needs to tone down the religious side of his conservatism and just focus on fiscal and economic policy. It’s worked so far for Djou.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X