Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tax Hike for Rail?

Originally posted by jdub
    ...are they gonna tax the mileage on my rubber kamaboko slippers next?
    That's what the .5% GET increase does. It adds more tax on those slippers when they are bought by the distributor, and then by the retailer, and again by you. So you will see at least a 1.5% increase in your slippers (a whole lot more since price markups are usually done by percentage). In fact any thing you spend money on get's an increase including rent, fertilizer, food, beer, or whatever.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a slipper surcharge in the near future. The surcharge can be greater for more durable slippers. Of course if it is added at one of the early stages of the distribution chain, then that surcharge will be taxed too. That's the beauty of the GET.

Comment

Oahu shouldn't complain too much. The neighbor islands get it even worse because of the added shipping and handling costs for goods that gets tacked on to every purchase. That's why gasoline on Maui, for instance, is always at least 20 cents higher per gallon than on Oahu, and people have to travel farther to get anywhere. The Neighbor islands also don't even have any kind of mass transit system that can take care of the needs of those who have to get to work because the current routes aren't where the workers live.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        I hope you are a bus rider and not using your car at all.
        What car? I ride my motorcycle to work every day. I live on the other side of Kapolei. If I take the bus, I have to get off at the closest stop (quite a ways away) at 1 a.m. and walk down the highway in the pitch black with all the drunken drivers zooming past. No, thanks.

When we get rail, I will ride it to work. I can't wait.

My taxes paid for the H3 and for various other projects that I "don't use," which is the excuse a lot of people use for not supporting rail. "I won't use it." Well, I have to live with a huge garbage dump practically in my backyard, and yes, I can smell YOUR garbage odors wafting into my windows when I'm trying to enjoy my day off. Give a little, get a little back, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          How I vote is not any of your damn business!
          Christ sakes calm down Mel, you tell us on a ongoing daily basis how you support the GOP, Rick Hamada, no-taxes, etc. so you sure like to make your beliefs and policies out in the open for everyone and all to see.

What did you do besides post on a messageboad voicing your displeasure for this rail tax.

Did you stand on the steps of the capital and Honolulu Hale protesting this rail tax?

Faxes and emails and internet postings get nothing accomplished.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Another thing Mel you cry and moan about taxes, but did you go to a public school to get your education as a youth? If so, thank taxes that everyone pays whether they have children or not to pay for important things such as education. The roads you drive on and walk on, you name it all paid for by TAXES. If you dont like Hawaii and the way things are run, then leave!! I'm sure you can live quite affordable in places like Mississippi and Lousiana. They are red states anyway so you might fit in over there!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

• Tax Hike for Rail? Waste of Money!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Miulang
              Oahu shouldn't complain too much.
              Miulang
              It's easy for people sitting on a computer 2,500 miles away from Hawaii to say this since they don't have to pay any of this tax until they get here.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                What did you do besides post on a messageboad voicing your displeasure for this rail tax.
                What I do beyond this message board again is NONE of your business. Did you come down to City Hall with all the union hacks, your fellow liberals and Democrats to say "WE WANT RAIL. WE WANT MORE TAXES!!!!"???

I was there.

Faxes and emails and internet postings get nothing accomplished.
                Perhaps not, but I am working in other ways to quash this. What I do outside of this board again is none of your business.

Last edited by mel; July 12, 2005, 05:26 PM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Honolulu Cannot Afford A Rail Tax!!!!!

Another thing Mel you cry and moan about taxes, but did you go to a public school to get your education as a youth? If so, thank taxes that everyone pays whether they have children or not to pay for important things such as education. The roads you drive on and walk on, you name it all paid for by TAXES. If you dont like Hawaii and the way things are run, then leave!! I'm sure you can live quite affordable in places like Mississippi and Lousiana. They are red states anyway so you might fit in over there!!
                  I don't know about you, but I was born and raised in the islands and have no intention to leave. Perhaps you ought to pack your bags and retire elsewhere.... perhaps in San Francisco where taxes and the cost of living is even higher and where you may be happier to dish out more of your income to more taxes!

I don't know why you are picking on me. You ought to be celebrating your liberal victory by having your supporters passing this terrible tax upon us.
                  Why waste your time here replying to my posts? You have better things to do, I am sure.

As for why I continue to be opposed to this tax is because we are already TAXED ENOUGH! YOU LIBERALS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THIS as you only want to take more, more and even more of our personal income away from us... from the people that populate this board, from families with children, individuals and people living on fixed incomes. All you liberals want to do is TAKE MORE to fund giant public works projects such as this rail that will only benefit a few.

And so what if I went to a public school. That school is funded with taxes we already have to pay. You liberals and rail supporters want to continue to take more, more, more and more!

When is this madness to stop????

City government has been a very poor example on how to spend taxpayer money. Just look at all the millions they wasted on the BRT, City Beautification and the damn stupid book the former mayor published? Sure the book is not expensive when compared to BRT, but it serves as an example of how foolish city responsibility has been with taxpayer money.

Do we really want to have the City take more of our money through this new tax increase to build a fund for a $3 billion rail system?

Do we need it?

Can we afford it?

Can we maintain it?

The answer to those 3 questions is a resounding NO!!!!!!

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Tax Hike for Rail? Waste of Money!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mel
                    It's easy for people sitting on a computer 2,500 miles away from Hawaii to say this since they don't have to pay any of this tax until they get here.

Eh Bruddah, you really TOO much now. I get ohana on da Big Island and Maui who going suffer, too. So shuddup. Go after Kalihiboy.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      What car? I ride my motorcycle to work every day. I live on the other side of Kapolei. If I take the bus, I have to get off at the closest stop (quite a ways away) at 1 a.m. and walk down the highway in the pitch black with all the drunken drivers zooming past. No, thanks.
                      Soooo..... You do have a form of individualized, motorized transporation. A motorcycle! WONDERFUL! I bet you enjoy the freedom of coming and going when you like on your own schedule. Cruising the highways in the wind, maybe even perhaps weaving between the traffic of slow cars.... wow...

I am sure that motorcycle is a way more convenient and efficient mode of transportation for your lifestyle. Do you use that motorcycle more than riding The Bus?

The motorcycle empowers you from having to avoid walking down the dark alley at 1 AM between your home and that distant bus stop.

When we get rail, I will ride it to work. I can't wait.
                      It's going to still be a long wait before the first spike and a railroad track is driven into the ground.. something like 10 years.

In the meantime, that sucking sound coming out of your wallet will be the taxes being collected to pay for the rail that won't be built (if ever) for another 10 years at least.

You can bet people like me will continue to oppose the train every damn regulated step of the way through its planning and approval process.

As the tax pot grows bigger and bigger, who is to guarantee that the City Council will not draft a bill to raid that fund to say... pay for more union worker pay raises? It will be a tempting target.

Will you survive living in Hawaii for another 10 years before you ride your beloved train? Are you going to give up your motorcycle????

My taxes paid for the H3 and for various other projects that I "don't use," which is the excuse a lot of people use for not supporting rail. "I won't use it." Well, I have to live with a huge garbage dump practically in my backyard, and yes, I can smell YOUR garbage odors wafting into my windows when I'm trying to enjoy my day off. Give a little, get a little back, folks.
                      Just like mine. However the rail tax is a new tax being levied to pay for rail, which is a mode of transportation that is outdated (think 19th century) that we certainly don't need, can't afford and can't maintain.

Don't forget, no one knows where the freaggin' right-of-way is to route the train. That damn thing may be going through the yards of single family homeowners, and most certainly taking away the livelihood of small business owners whose firms may be in the way of the "right-of-way".

Hey... You like Kapolei? I bet you do.

Did anyone hold a gun to your head and forced you to move there? I don't think so.

Don't like the garbage? I guess you can take Kalihi Boy's same advice he gave to me.... "MOVE OUT." (If his advice is good enough for me, it is good enough for you.)

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Tax Hike for Rail? Waste of Money!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Eh Bruddah, you really TOO much now. I get ohana on da Big Island and Maui who going suffer, too. So shuddup. Go after Kalihiboy.

Miulang
                        For someone who is IGNORING ME, YOU ARE DOING A LOUSY JOB!!!

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel,
                          Even though I got you on ignore, I have to say this.
                          For all your bitching about new taxes etc, , not once
                          you have mentioned ANY alternatives to fix traffic
                          mess on Oahu [or anything else that goes wrong]

Making things worse, you belittle and act extremely
                          selfish in your remarks to other people posting in this
                          forum. It seems you are the almighty one that knows
                          everything, except to solve the problems.

Your excuse is that your not in politics, thus not responsible
                          for the decisions. But man you sure bitch when things go wrong.
                          Mel, sorry to break it to you, your not the only one living
                          on this planet. It is pretty obvious to me you don't grasp
                          that idea, as you belittle ANYONE AND EVERYONE that
                          has different opinion than yours. Also everyone else's opinion
                          is wrong, or liberal or whatever and your opinion is the right
                          one .

Mel, you really need a reality check...honestly
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                            Mel,
                            Even though I got you on ignore, I have to say this.
                            For all your bitching about new taxes etc, , not once
                            you have mentioned ANY alternatives to fix traffic
                            mess on Oahu [or anything else that goes wrong]

Making things worse, you belittle and act extremely
                            selfish in your remarks to other people posting in this
                            forum. It seems you are the almighty one that knows
                            everything, except to solve the problems.

Your excuse is that your not in politics, thus not responsible
                            for the decisions. But man you sure bitch when things go wrong.
                            Mel, sorry to break it to you, your not the only one living
                            on this planet. It is pretty obvious to me you don't grasp
                            that idea, as you belittle ANYONE AND EVERYONE that
                            has different opinion than yours. Also everyone else's opinion
                            is wrong, or liberal or whatever and your opinion is the right
                            one .

Mel, you really need a reality check...honestly
                            You and Miulang both FLUNK THE IGNORE test on this site. Do you know how to ignore me? The best way in the world is to NOT RESPOND TO ME AT ALL. I told you in private message, I told you in email, but now I have to tell you in public, because this is where you decided to air your gripe against me.

When it comes to my money that I work for I get personal if someone wants to take it away. I get personal when government which has not shown that they are responsible with what they already have, wants to take it away. I get personal and very angry when government wants to take more money away from me, from us, from everyone who makes a living and has to spend their money on what they need or want... with a tax getting in the way of each and every transaction. This is going to amount to much, much more when the rail tax kicks in on January 1, 2007.

YOU WON AARON. YOU WON MIULANG.

LIBERALS, YOU HAVE WON. WHY BEAT UP THE LOSER EVEN MORE???

RAIL SUPPORTERS, YOU HAVE WON. WHY BEAT UP THE LOSER EVEN MORE???

You are getting the tax hike that you so desparately want.

In 10 years, you will probably get the rail that you want too. I don't know how that is going to benefit you Aaron, living in beautiful but voggy Kona.

I don't know why you are even complaining about this, because as things stand, you are not going to pay for the increased GET directly unless you buy something directly from a merchant in Honolulu.

As of now Big Island and other Neighbor Islanders are off the hook. If you follow Miulang's mantra and "buy local" you will be able to keep your costs in check without having to pay Oahu's tax. It may be difficult to do but perhaps it can be done.

The majority of taxpayers and visitors to Oahu, starting after January 1, 2007 are going to be taking home less $$$ and dishing more $$$$ out to the City & County of Honolulu via this tax increase.

The tax increase also cannot be looked at in a vacumn.

This has been the WORST YEAR for tax increases.

The City & County of Honolulu has increased the Vehicle Weight Tax.

The City & County of Honolulu are increasing the Sewer fees, mainly because that wonderful Democrat named Mayor Jeremy Harris robbed the sewer fund to pay for Brunch on the Beach, traffic calming circles, placards for things built under his term and a book that may be burned at the HPower Plant. (To name a few items)

The State throw a bottle tax at us that has become a huge burden not only in money but time people have to take to get their lousy 5 cents back for every 6 cents that the State took from them for every bottle purchased.

If you are dealing in a home transaction of any sort, well guess what... better sell or buy for under $600,000 or else you pay a bigger conveyance tax. Hope you all love living in shacks.

Do I have to go on?

Yes, one more item. Once the rail route is decided upon, all neighboring properties within a one mile radius of the rail line will be subject to higher property taxes due to property speculation and possible development. Some people and perhaps many businesses, most of them small will be forced out of their location if the rail line wants to use their property for the right of way.

One of the main objectives to living here in Hawaii is for individuals and businesses to make sure that they can keep themselves in the black financially, without the State or County (or even Feds) trying to push us further, and further into the red.

Businesses try their damned hardest to remain in the black.

However in Hawaii's continuing saga of being a business hostile state, it is getting harder, and harder for anyone to stay in the black, much less make a profit, which to many liberals is a dirty word.

The issue is not about transportation. It is about taxes and the money taxes bring to the people in power... the politicians, certain big businesses and big labor unions who all want to keep the little guys supressed.

Rail will not solve congestion problems. Nothing will. The supporters of rail are now only saying that rail is "an alternative."

What a freakin' expensive alternative!!!! $3+ billion and counting.

Go to HonoluluTraffic.com. They have possible solutions to the congestion problem. Options. None will totally alleviate traffic congestion. But they have options Aaron if that is what you are seeking.

Don't ask me for options. I went through this exercise already with Miulang.

Aaron.. remember there is nothing wrong with being selfish with your personal funds if someone is trying to take it away from you by force, which is what all taxes do. You pay it or you eventually end up in the poki.

As for not being the only one on the planet, I know I am not. There are other people who think just like me. And there are those who do not, like you, Miulang and the other America hating liberals populating this board.

I mean the stuff that is spewed in that American Asylum topic makes me want to just vomit all over this place. I'm telling you. It makes me sick. I have to refrain from even looking at it most of the times and keep any of my opinions off the board over there.

However when local issues directly effect my life and my earnings, I speak out. Deal with it.

That is what these boards were set up for. It is too bad that you cannot deal with my opinions. And vice versa. But I vent. You can if you want to but then you'd have me off your ignore list.

Perhaps a more powerful ignore function needs to be built in the Jelsoft-ware that powers this board. Then none of you liberals would get caught in a tizzy over my opinion.

Last edited by mel; July 12, 2005, 09:13 PM. Reason: fix typo, probably did not catch em all. tough.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, your panties are officially in a f@cking bunch.

Yeah, I said it. It's my opinion. Deal with it.

Comment

• Anyone without a liberal opinion will be slammed here

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                                Mel, your panties are officially in a f@cking bunch.

Yeah, I said it. It's my opinion. Deal with it.
                                You piece of sh-- too! You only come around here to cause trouble by sticking in comments like this one without even saying anything relating to the subject at hand here. But then I guess you will love the sucking sounds that will be coming out of your wallet too, come 2007.

Well just like the rest of you who love the rail, who love government that want to take even more money out of your pockets with higher and higher taxes... you are the WINNERS here at HawaiiThreads.

Anyone with a conservative opinion or wants to take personal repsonsibility of their own finances and try like hell to keep as much of their own personal earnings in their own pockets will be slammed by the vocal majority who hate conservative opinions here at Hawaii Threads. The American Asylum and most of the political topics bear this out.

People who post opinions supporting traditional, basic American values such as being pro-life, leaving God in the Pledge of Allegience, and who want less taxes in their lives will all be unmercilessly slammed here at Hawaii Threads. Remember the thread about abortion that was started? The author who started that thread and taking a pro-life stance was slammed by the liberals on this board.

Look at the other political topics on this board... all dominated by the liberal, hippie, communistic opinion. It is no wonder that the few people who did have opposing viewpoints no longer post at this place.

The American in-sane Asylum and the and the other 2 topics that make up the "Ka Honua" section of this board bear this out. Mostly anti-American and anti traditional value posts there. Topics like "Religous Left vs. Religious Right" where the right side is wrong and the left side prevails, the continuing "Bush Watch" section where nothing but hatred for our President prevails, and "U.S. Cursed by the Right Wing" bears my observation about the leftist leanings of most of the active, political posters on this board.

The liberal opinion. The liberal view. The liberal playground. That is what Hawaii Threads is.

YOU LIBERALS HAVE WON... BUT GUESS WHAT?

I AM NOT GOING AWAY!!!

Deal with that.

Last edited by mel; July 13, 2005, 06:02 AM.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X