X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ten Commandments...

Originally posted by kimo55
    religion is the opiate of the masses
    I'm a Christian. Grew up Catholic. To make a long story short. Never did like attending church, was to boring.Always looked at the clock to see how long more. Then my late husband got Lou Geregh's, died on Thansgiving Day 1997. Told the Pastors to go home and that I would call Hospice. Waiting for Hospice to come...my husband jumps up and looks at me and our daughters with a "wat you looking at face!" He died the following January 17,1998, one day after my dad's death anniversary(I told him he had better not die on that day as a joke!). On January 17th, all my children were home from school for no apparent reason. I made a bif pot of spagetti and meatsauce. The Hospice Nurse came and announced to me that he was going. As my children and I knelt and talked to him, he kept looking towards the door and upwards. We could feel the joy and longing that he had in finally going to be with GOD. The light in the room and the presence of Holiness was powerful. He closed his eyes with a big SMILE! Yes, I believe in GOD as I know him, I don't expect for anyone to be forced into knowing my AWESOME GOD...I just wanted to share. As for the Ten Commandents, it makes sense to follow it! For some, the thought of losing a spouse, a child, a parent etc. may bring them into knowing GOD, and begging him into saving their loved one. What God giveith, GOD can takeith away...that has been the strong scripture I hold dear when my children were in Iraq the same time. It has and will always be the one that keeps me on the right path and think twice before doing something stupid. I still go to church once in awhile, my belief in GOD is ever strong. I speak to GOD in the comfort of my room and have daily, nightly talks with him as I do with everyone else. The only and divine difference is he is GOD and he BLESSES ME EVERY SINGLE DAY!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

So I gather what you're saying is, you believe in god?

Great! Wonderful. Most of my friends do. Most Americans do, and definitely most believe in some form of higher, sentient power.

But let's get back to the main question. Does this prevalence of belief mean that god-stuff needs to be engraved into currency, invoked at official functions, thanked in schools, and posted in public places? I personally don't think so.

Did god build this great country, or did people? People did, although their faith may have inspired them. Honor that idea, not the god "brand name." And, by the way, I think it's funny when people say, "The U.S. wouldn't be here if it weren't for Christ!" When, of course, a lot of other countries and millions of innocent people would still be here if it weren't for Christians. The world don't revolve around us, folks.

Okay, so, religion may be the opiate of the masses, but hell, even opium did some people good. You get out of your faith what you need, and that's the beauty of it. But faith should be a personal thing, not an institutional thing. This is how many people may be believers, but shun organized churches. I don't think that makes them any less faithful, just less interested in rules and guidelines.

Worship in your own way, be proud. But why push it on other people?

And if anyone's answer will be another scripture quote about going out and spreading the word, don't bother, you're not the only person who's read the bible. Answer the question, instead. Why, really, is it anyone's business what other people believe? If you are confident and secure in your faith, that should be enough. And if the rest of us really are going to hell, that just means more cloud for you!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        So I gather what you're saying is, you believe in god?

My Lemurian god is an awesome dog.

Comment

My Lemurian god is an awesome dog.
          KIMO, WHACK,WHACK IN YOUR HEAD...NO GET FUNNY! DAS ME BLOGG, YOU TALKING ABOUT. WAT'S UP BRO?

Comment

"The Ten Commandments are indisputably a historical document that has an important secular impact on the development of Western legal codes and Western civilisation, and under US law it is sensible to acknowledge that," Mr Cruz says.
            "Historical document", my ass. If that's the reasoning, then why not the Code of Hammurabi, which is even more historically important in the development of Western civilization. But I guess the words of someone from what is now Iraq wouldn't fly in Texas, now would it.
            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; March 4, 2005, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I believe in GOD, as I know him. I don't push my faith as I don't want anyone else to push their religion on me. Simple. I strongly believe that the Ten Commandments is GOD'S WORD and that our past and long dead leaders of our NATION voted to have it where it is displayed today. If we as a NATION destroy what was deemed correct and chosen as a basis for what our great Nation stands for than we are all headed into some kind of travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                I don't push my faith as I don't want anyone else to push their religion on me.
                Except invoking him at every opportunity and typing in all caps to be absolutely certain the message is heard, I suppose.
                I strongly believe that the Ten Commandments is GOD'S WORD and that our past and long dead leaders of our NATION voted to have it where it is displayed today.
                Man, I'd really like to see the results of that vote. A few of them might have believed strongly in the Ten Commandments (the web is rife with people quoting Madison, Adams, etc. on their personal religious views), but that doesn't mean they intended to write Christianity into every American life. I agree with Scrivener. I think they would have been heartened to see Muslim Americans and Buddhist Americans and Church of the Subgenius Americans...

If they did want us all to worship their god, why'd they write the "establishment clause" of the First Amendment? Even if you say that clause is ambiguous, if their intent was to make the U.S. a Christian country, that line should have said, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, apart from proclaiming across the land that GOD RULEZZZ DUDE! BIBLE REPRESENT! WOOF! WOOF!"

Comment

KIMO, WHACK,WHACK IN YOUR HEAD...NO GET FUNNY! DAS ME BLOGG, YOU TALKING ABOUT. WAT'S UP BRO?

jez my kolohe self, eh?

Comment

jez my kolohe self, eh?
                    Yeah, at least it brought some laughs to this THREAD. I didn't realize it would have brought out the fighters within some people! Good fun to see the other side of people who ususally don't express themselves ....uh...like dat. I love it. Afterall, we all HUMAN BEINGS, (cough cough) some Lemurians! SMILE EVERYBODY! GOD LOVES YOU!

Comment

SMILE EVERYBODY! GOD LOVES YOU!
                      I don't love Him.

Comment

Or him. Or her, for that matter.

Recently I was at a thoroughlyunforgetable, colorful restaurant in Wahiawa where Jesus and god were the predominant decorative themes. The only catch was, all the icons depicted were black, and women.

Made sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Or him. Or her, for that matter.

Recently I was at a thoroughlyunforgetable, colorful restaurant in Wahiawa where Jesus and god were the predominant decorative themes. The only catch was, all the icons depicted were black, and women.

Made sense to me!
                          Hmmm wea dey serve the best BBQ Ribs! I also loved them photo's! Nobody knows what color skin GOD or JESUS had...I personally think they had my color skin...Filipino,Potorican,Indian. My great gradma's eyes were Blue and she had red hair too as my MAMA does. Hmmm...Lemurians!

MY GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD, HE REIGNS FROM HEAVEN AFAR!

and the beat goes on!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            I don't love Him.
                            It's OK, He still LOVES YOU!

Comment

It's OK, He still LOVES YOU!
                              Now, that's just creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                                Now, that's just creepy.
                                aHHHH, Komo mai, come Auntie Lynn give you one big ho'ne ho'ne!

Comment

Working...
                                X