Comments on the Akaka Bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comments on the Akaka Bill?

The "fear factor" seems to kicking into high gear when it comes to discussions about Independence. No one would have to leave, no one would have property taken from them (if they have clear title - an important point), banks wouldn't close & $$$ would not suddenly be worthless. You go to other countries & convert $$$ to that particular country's currency - why would it be any different here? and no one would be forced to give up American citizenship if they wanted to remain one. However, as American citizens - you might have to apply for a visa/green card. and you would have to apply to become a citizen of Hawaii. This is what has been explained to me over the years - I'm not making this up

What WOULD happen is that our cost of living would go down without the US imposed Jones Act. Hawaii would be able to avoid the extra shipping costs we pay now for everything that comes from outside the US - like Toyotas, Australian lobster, Samoan tuna, New Zealand lamb and all the other things we consume on a daily basis. (well, I don't eat lobster tails daily..........). We could get away from our dependence on imported oil to power HECO & use solar/wind power instead without all the restrictions placed on us now. If we still needed to import, it could be done directly with the country of origin. Right now, everything we import has to be shipped to us from a US port only - which means that Toyota you buy has be shipped from Japan, go to the west coast, get unloaded then get re-loaded on a US ship and sent back this way. Hence, the long delays in getting products.

Right now, if you mail order something from the continent - many times they don't even recognize us as part of the US! How many times have you had to pay extra & wait extra days to receive something? Hey, it doesn't take any longer to fly something from LA to Hawaii than it does to fly that same product from LA to NYC!

These are just a few things that could possibly improve our lives with an Independent Hawaii.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

anapuni808, there are a lot of holes in your argument, or maybe it's wishful thinking, but the one that really strikes me funny is this: "We could get away from our dependence on imported oil to power HECO & use solar/wind power" followed almost immediately by "that Toyota you buy..."

Er, is that Toyota gonna run on solar/wind power?

Maybe the repeal of the Jones Act would help, maybe not, but we're gonna need oil until there's an alternative way of moving imported products around Oahu and the other islands. Mules?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        anapuni808, there are a lot of holes in your argument, or maybe it's wishful thinking, but the one that really strikes me funny is this: "We could get away from our dependence on imported oil to power HECO & use solar/wind power" followed almost immediately by "that Toyota you buy..."

Er, is that Toyota gonna run on solar/wind power?

Maybe the repeal of the Jones Act would help, maybe not, but we're gonna need oil until there's an alternative way of moving imported products around Oahu and the other islands. Mules?
        Ideally, you'd take the solar/wind/whatever-generated electricity and use it to manufacture hydrogen for hydrogen-fueled cars, or to charge up the batteries in all-electric cars. Ideally.

Comment

fascUSt leaders defeat Akaka Bill motion

Senator Akaka has just finished speaking eloquently on behalf of Senate Bill S.147 and is being followed by Lamar Alexander with his anti-Hawai'i spiel; so much race-baiting trash from the mouth of Alexander along with his quoting from a letter from the exceptionally ill-informed U.S. Civil Rights Commissioner.

Alexander "...wrongs which may have existed in Hawaii." He has not a clue about Hawai'i.

Now Senator Harry Reid speaking admiringly of Senator Inouye and Senator Akaka in favor of the bill. "The integrity of the United States Senate is on the line here."

Senator Inouye is speaking and quoting Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts from a brief written by Roberts regarding Hawai'i and Hawai'ians.

Again Alexander: more "...never in the history of our nation..." fear-mongering.

Now. c-span2, a move to vote on cloture: Senate voting to limit debate on a motion to proceed to the Native Hawai'ian Act. Voting 'No' , all the usual fascUSt leaders of US: Alexander, Bond, Bennet, Allen, Santorum, Craig, Gregg, DeMint, Hutchison, Frist, Allen, Burns, Martinez, DeWine, Warner, Lugar, Bunning, Dole, Inhofe, Sessions, Chamblis, Enzi, (Chafee, votes No with fascUSts), Shelby, Brownback, Voinovich,
          that's at least 26 Nay votes so far, and the fascUSts only need 41 to defeat the motion to allow the Akaka Bill to get further on the road to become an act of Congress, The Native Hawai'ian Act.

725am, 56-41, the motion is not agreed to.

Hopefully, this will allow time for better, fuller more responsible explanations from Hawaiians who opposed the Akaka Bill S.147 and opposed Senator Akaka's and Senator's Inouye's efforts today, just hours after BushCheney's U.S. Attorney General Office backstabbing of Akaka and Inouye.
          ======

======
          Dear Senator Akaka,

Mahalo for your efforts. You're the best, and getting better, without a doubt!

56-41 is a most respectable tally given the blackballs being thrown by Senators, the ill-informed and/or grossly coopted U.S. Civil Rights Commission, the Cheney White House and the US Attorney General Office at all things Hawai'i, at all that suggests there is in reality a feeling, a people, a culture, a belief in a way of being and living with, on the 'aina (okina and kahako), a hope in existence that, rather than negate that which makes America great, Hawai'i native peoples, rather than detract from that which makes America great, Hawai'i instead enables, endorses and enhances that which makes one an American, that which confirms that one not only shares the American soul, but allows one's soul to contribute to the American soul as an indigenous entity-- but for diminishing pockets scattered across the American landscape, the near void of such entities in America is a sad, to say the least (criminal would be more like it), fact of Life in America.

Aloha,
          Last edited by waioli kai; June 8, 2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

This is what I said: We could get away from our dependence on imported oil to power HECO & use solar/wind power instead

Maybe you need to clean your glasses if you wear them. I said nothing about no oil for cars. As Glen says, "ideally" we would have cars powered by something other than gasoline. But for right now, of course we would need gasoline. I don't particulary want to go back to horse & buggy days. and in case you weren't aware - we do produce much of our gasoline locally. I was talking about fuel oil, not gasoline. But, the oil used to produce the gasoline IS imported. Without the Jones Act, oil could be imported from places that are closer to the islands, from countries that could be bargained with outside of US restrictions.

Try to think outside the box...............its much more interesting.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It just became moot for this year. The Senate couldn't reach cloture (meaning, get enough votes to stop debate and bring it to the full floor for a final vote), voting 56-41 in favor (60 votes needed).

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...16/detail.html

Comment

It just became moot for this year. The Senate couldn't reach cloture (meaning, get enough votes to stop debate and bring it to the full floor for a final vote), voting 56-41 in favor (60 votes needed).

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...16/detail.html
                Akaka seems to think he can still bring it up again this session, but that's quite an uphill battle. If supporters can't get it approved by both the House and Senate this session, it's dormant until the next Congress convenes in January 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  To support the Akaka Bill, would one have to villify or condemn the decision making process of their grandparents, who voted for statehood back in the 50's.

How many of the oldest living Hawaiians, who were around for the statehood vote, would admit to their YES vote? And how many of them support the Akaka Bill?

History has a tendency to change over the course of time. Veddy Interesting.

I wonder how many new ways we could think of to separate people?

Maybe we should concentrate on the unity aspect of humanity, and less on the differences?

If we do not hang together, we will surely hang separately.
                  Tim, when has any resident of T.H., ethnic Hawaiian or not, had the opportunity to give "their YES vote" on "Statehood back in the 50s"?

What is veddy interesting is that you, who wishes to serve in public office, would be so ill-informed on this issue and spout first before researching it.

Statehood was voted upon by the U.S Congress in 1959. The residents of the Territory of Hawai'i have never had a referendum of statehood to vote upon.

The issue in its simplest form:

1946: United Nations is formed. The United States has recognized this to be the body of international law. The U.N. defined the term nation™ at that time, and Hawai'i fit that term (we had standing international trade treaties, a constitutional monarchy, elected legislature, public health system, public education system, methods for naturalized citizenry, etc). The U.N. also defined that for one nation™ to be absorbed into another nation™, the absorbee citizenry must vote by referendum and agree to the absorption.

1959: The United States' Congress voted to make Hawai'i its 50th state. There was no referendum on the issue.

This was the decision brought down by the Hague in the 1993 Tribunals. Hawai'i's statehood status is illegal, according to U.N., that body of international law which is currently still in existence and with said body of law being recogized by the United States.

Careful to not make the same mistake twice, both Puerto Rico and Guam have had the issue of 51st U.S. statehood put to their residents to vote.

Because Hawai'i's citizens have never had their referendum, many particulars have been up for debate over the years, because if/when that referendum is put to the people, what will the language be? Who gets to vote on it?

And how I know all of this is because my grandparents, who were in their late 30s/early 40s back in 1959 (and are lovely lucid folk in their 80's today) have been grumbling that they have never been able to vote on the issue. Admissions Day is one that they have never, ever celebrated.

Finally, in order to concentrate on the greater aspects of humanity, we must first cherish life, liberty and all those inalienable rights of sovereignty.

Tendency to change history, indeed.

aloha, P

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

1959: The United States' Congress voted to make Hawai'i its 50th state. There was no referendum on the issue.

aloha, P
                    Look, you can argue about whether the language had enough alternatives all you want, but on June 27, 1959 there was indeed a referendum taken of all Hawai'i voters. It passed by roughly a 17:1 margin in favor of statehood, according to several different sources.

Certified results image here:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hawaiivotesinset.JPG
                    Last edited by Linkmeister; June 8, 2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Re: Comments on the Akaka Bill?

Look, you can argue about whether the language had enough alternatives all you want, but on June 27, 1959 there was indeed a referendum taken of all Hawai'i voters. It passed by roughly a 17:1 margin in favor of statehood, according to several different sources.

Thank you very much for sharing this, LM. I have never seen this before, nor ever heard of it. I am going to print it out and send it to my grandparents. And, I am going to research it.

pax

Comment

More facts I uncovered:

Feb. 10, 1954: On that one day, 116,000 Hawai'i residents sign a mile-long petition known as the "Statehood Honor Roll" urging Congress to grant Hawai'i statehood. On Feb. 26, it and neighbor island "Midget Honor Rolls" are delivered to Washington, DC and received by VP Richard Nixon.

in April, 1954, the US Senate passed a statehood bill that combined Alaska's and Hawai'i's petitions into one bill. The House refused to consider the matter. Between 1947-1954, the House had passed 3 Hawai'i statehood bills.

May 10, 1955. The US House of Representatives voted 218-170 to reject a bill to grant statehood to Hawai'i and Alaska.

July 7, 1958. Alaska is granted statehood. Congressional Rep. John Burns negotiates to allow Alaska to gain statehood first in order to make statehood a likely possibility for Hawai'i. Thus begins the long relationship between AK-HA legislators on key bills assisting their states.

March 8, 1959: Pres. Eisenhower signs the Hawai'i Statehood Admissions Act which becomes law on Aug. 21, 1959. Since 1919, 63 bills for Hawai'i statehood had been introduced to Congress.

June 27, 1959: Hawai'i voters approve a referendum for statehood by a margin of 17-1. Only Ni'ihau votes against statehood. The public vote is required by the US Constitution; however, no such vote was required or taken during the 1897-98 period when annexation occurred.

So while it appears that the voters in 1959 overwhelmingly favored statehood, the annexation of Hawai'i to the US might in fact never have happened if the kanaka maoli (who were then in the majority) were allowed to vote on annexation (they couldn't, until 1900).

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; June 8, 2006, 09:39 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          Thank you very much for sharing this, LM. I have never seen this before, nor ever heard of it. I am going to print it out and send it to my grandparents. And, I am going to research it.
                          You're welcome. I'm all in favor of discussion, but let's get all the facts on the table.

Comment

• Hawaii w/o ' okina

Miulang= "More facts I uncovered:

Feb. 10, 1954: On that one day, 116,000 Hawai'i residents sign a mile-long petition known as the "Statehood Honor Roll" urging Congress to grant Hawai'i statehood. On Feb. 26, it and neighbor island "Midget Honor Rolls" are delivered to Washington, DC and received by VP Richard Nixon.

in April, 1954, the US Senate passed a statehood bill that combined Alaska's and Hawai'i's petitions into one bill. The House refused to consider the matter. Between 1947-1954, the House had passed 3 Hawai'i statehood bills.

May 10, 1955. The US House of Representatives voted 218-170 to reject a bill to grant statehood to Hawai'i and Alaska.

July 7, 1958. Alaska is granted statehood. Congressional Rep. John Burns negotiates to allow Alaska to gain statehood first in order to make statehood a likely possibility for Hawai'i. Thus begins the long relationship between AK-HA legislators on key bills assisting their states.

March 8, 1959: Pres. Eisenhower signs the Hawai'i Statehood Admissions Act which becomes law on Aug. 21, 1959. Since 1919, 63 bills for Hawai'i statehood had been introduced to Congress.

June 27, 1959: Hawai'i voters approve a referendum for statehood by a margin of 17-1. Only Ni'ihau votes against statehood. The public vote is required by the US Constitution; however, no such vote was required or taken during the 1897-98 period when annexation occurred.

So while it appears that the voters in 1959 overwhelmingly favored statehood, the annexation of Hawai'i to the US might in fact never have happened if the kanaka maoli (who were then in the majority) were allowed to vote on annexation (they couldn't, until 1900). " = Miulang

Mahalo Miulang for additional interesting topical facts/discussion points . Regarding all of ' okina printed in the word Hawaii in the above information, were ' okina already there from pasted content or did you add them?

It may seem to be politically correct to include ' okina everytime one writes the word Hawaii. Much to the contrary, others can feel that to do so is to unknowingly, ignorantly, inadvertently or purposfully commit sacrilige upon all that is more truly Hawai'i with ' okina; not Hawaii without ' okina which is what became the State of Hawaii; Hawaii without 'okina, devoid of righteousness, and necessarily so; never to be deservedly graced with either spoken or written inflection is a Hawaii that needs no introduction or further distinguishment. It is not Hawai'i, it is in spite of Hawai'i.

Since the beginning of these islands' humanity it has been Hawai'i (Hawai'i island, Maui, Moloka'i, O'ahu, Kaua'i, Ni'ihau and oceans/islands for as far as the eye can see) interrupted by immoral U.S. martial law overthrow/occupation forces, immoral creation of the Provisional Government of Hawaii which begate the Republic of Hawaii, which begate U.S.-occupied, militarized Territory of Hawaii, which begate World War 2 U.S. martial law occupation of Hawai'i, which begat the U.S. nuclear armed, militarized occupied Territory of Hawaii, which begat the U.S.State of Hawaii. Now where in that line of succession was the immorality of the creation of Hawaii out of Hawai'i not wholly transfered to subsequent political powers? Even if one were to not refer to such revisionism as being sacriligeous, it is still revisionism carried to an extreme to now assert that it is "State of Hawai'i", "Territory of Hawai'i", "Republic of Hawai'i", "Provisional Government of Hawai'i" ... that Hawaii and Hawai'i are one and the same, indistinguishable; that, there is anything that can ever be done to make Hawaii anything other than a bastardization of Hawai'i, and as such it should be duly noted in one's written and spoken expressions in conscious expression of

one's solidarity with that which is Hawai'i--people, peoples, indigenous culture, 'aina, hope, commitment, determination, ohana, aloha,

and a resurgent focus on preparing Hawai'i for a truly meaningful existence beyond the spiritually stupefying restraints of fascUSt nationalUSism, beyond the economic parUSiti$m of East Coast United States, beyond the self-righteoUS dogma of a minority of Americans who nonetheless are in postions of power to successfully manipulate the public towards unrighteous ends.
                            Last edited by waioli kai; June 8, 2006, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Yes there was a vote taken - but not a proper question asked.

The choice was to vote yes or no on statehood.

The choices, according to the United Nations, should have been:

1. Yes to statehood
                              2. Remain a territory
                              3. Some other form of association
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Take it up with the people who wrote the question in 1959.

I mean, seriously, people could have stayed away if they didn't like the question, right? They voted for what they got to vote on.

What I'm sayin' is, that was 1959. It's spilt milk. Argue/advocate for something to happen differently now; don't waste your time fighting about what coulda/woulda/shoulda happened 47 years ago. It's pointless.
                                Last edited by Linkmeister; June 8, 2006, 03:09 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                                X