Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Sex-Offender Registry Returns

Originally posted by pzarquon
    I mean, aren't all felons' convictions a matter of public record? Can't I as an employer discover an applicant's felony record, and can't I as a citizen go downtown and stand in line and rifle through manila folders to find out if someone has a felony conviction, or a civil lawsuit pending against them, even? If so, it seems reasonable to me that this same information could be posted online, and save everyone some time.
    That's been available for at least a couple of years:
    http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...C4446A8DE.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
      In regards to Chinky Mahoe, I had to go back and do some Googling to get some info on him, not being too familiar with (what I now know of) his whole molestation crimes. I have to say that you, LikaNui, made some very passionate points in an earlier version of this forum back in September 2004, for which I belatedly applaud you. Well said.
      Thanks.
      There's lots of local 'celebrities' who have criminal records and who have paid their debt to society and moved on, and in most cases everyone else is understanding and forgiving. Rightfully so.
      However, child molesters fall into their own category of being pretty much unforgivable. Anyone who abuses the trust of children placed in their care is much lower than 'scum of the earth'. And in Chinky Mahoe's case it was a long-running pattern of child abuse, with multiple victims.
      I believe he is still allowed to teach hula to children with the proviso that another adult be in attendance at all times. And I believe the court's allowing him to do that is wrong.
      I also believe that anyone who continues to further Chinky Mahoe's 'celebrity' status by featuring him in shows is sending a message that his hula skills are more important than the fact that he repeatedly sexually abused children, and that just astounds me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        That's been available for at least a couple of years:
        http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...C4446A8DE.html
        D'oh! Of course. I've used that system before... heck, I know a fair bit about its implementation. And yes, it answers the question I posted insofar as finding out about a known person's record. But, in the context of the Hawaii Sex Offender Registry, it doesn't let me search by neighborhood to find a listing of all, say, violent drug offenses on my block, or provide useful identifying information about the convict. In fact, it specifically disclaims that address information is frequently suppressed due to privacy concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Anyway, run a search by zip code. 55 in Kaneohe, 36 in Kailua, and didn't have time to look at the rest of the zip codes. It'd be mildly interesting to know which areas have the most and which have the least.
          Well, I found the answer to my own question. Saw a blurb on KGMB's news last night, and just looked it up on their website. According to http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/display.cfm...=4642&sid=1214 :
          "The Sex Offender Registry lists people convicted of sex assault by the zip code in which they live. For example, Kaimuki, Kahala, Wilhelmina Rise and Palolo share a 96816 zip code. According to the registry there are 31 sex offenders living in those neighborhoods. That may seem like a lot, but there are more convicted sex offenders in other neighborhoods.
          "The registry lists 91 offenders in Waianae, 81 in Waipahu, 55 in Kaneohe, 47 in Waikiki, 40 in Wahiawa and 11 in Hawaii Kai. Log onto the web site and you will find someone previously convicted of a sex crime living in almost every community.
          "They are on all six major Hawaiian islands. There are 1,018 on Oahu, 174 on the Big Island, 159 on Maui, 58 on Kauai, 7 on molokai and 1 on Lanai."

Comment

Theres 88 (eight-eight) in my zip code! Ssssshhhhh!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

37 listings in my zip code.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When is a sex offender not a sex offender?

Apparently, 250 convicted sex offenders have been taken off the list for the time being because the State Attorney General is concerned about some of the people having their photos and addresses posted on the list.

"...Attorney General Mark Bennett said his office is reviewing the cases to determine which offenders were convicted of more than one felony as part of the same case and which were repeat offenders who had committed new crimes. Repeat offenders are clearly supposed to have their information posted on the Internet, but there is some confusion about offenders who might have been convicted of more than one felony involving the same victim or crime.

Bennett said he believes the law technically allows information on these offenders to be posted on the Internet, but he said he is not sure it is what lawmakers intended. "I think it's the right thing to do to review these individually," he said..."

Um, I say, once a person has been convicted, his information should be posted, no ifs ands or buts. It might act as a deterrent to future potential sex offenders if they know that once they are convicted, their faces and addresses will be known to everyone.

In the State of WA, where we also "protect" the guilty, you have to specify your address and then select what distance away from your address that convicted sex offenders have listed addresses. And every single person has their picture posted, too. They also have you agree to be monitored when you're on the WA-SOC website.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: When is a sex offender not a sex offender?

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Um, I say, once a person has been convicted, his information should be posted, no ifs ands or buts. It might act as a deterrent to future potential sex offenders if they know that once they are convicted, their faces and addresses will be known to everyone.
                  Please believe me when I say I mean this with all due respect, but this is the most conservative thing I can remember you saying (well, that and the "letting nature take its course" thing). It is generally the conservative position that prison is a place of punishment and that harsh penalties are a deterrant to other would-be criminals. I don't know about this--it seems to me that if someone's not deterred by the possibility of ten or twenty years of jail time, he or she is not going to be deterred by the possibility of having his or her picture on the Internet.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: When is a sex offender not a sex offender?

Originally posted by scrivener
                    Please believe me when I say I mean this with all due respect, but this is the most conservative thing I can remember you saying (well, that and the "letting nature take its course" thing). It is generally the conservative position that prison is a place of punishment and that harsh penalties are a deterrant to other would-be criminals. I don't know about this--it seems to me that if someone's not deterred by the possibility of ten or twenty years of jail time, he or she is not going to be deterred by the possibility of having his or her picture on the Internet.
                    heeheehee! That's why I can't always be tagged as a "bleeding heart liberal" by certain people. I certainly would never vote a party line, nor would I do anything other than follow my conscience.

Hey Scriv: I'm not saying the negative publicity would deter all would-be perverts, but it certainly would make "white collar" perverts think twice before wanting to jeopardize their standing in the community. Case in point: The Mayor of Spokane, WA has been outted as being gay and for using his office computer to surf a gay website and has had men tell newspapers that he gave them jobs because he wanted to date them. Now the FBI is involved in the investigation. His party members (he's a Republican) want him to step down because of the embarrassment to the party. Obviously, the Dems are gleeful over this, although everyone admits that he has done a good job as Mayor. The really odd thing is when he was a Legislator, he came out (pardon the pun) strongly against any bills that would have protected gay rights. I guess he was in denial of his true (?) self or being an outright hypocrite. He was divorced several years ago and when his wife was interviewed, she at least had the class not to say that his being a closet gay was one of the reasons they got divorced.

My parents told me, right before I left for college on the Mainland, that they had had their 18 years of raising me to know right from wrong, and now it was my responsibility to act accordingly. The one thing they really didn't want me to do was appear in the newspaper as a lawbreaker, and most families (at least the ones who still call themselves families) have the same opinion. I'm sure that there is not one single parent who has ever told their child, "When you grow up, I want you to be a pervert."

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; May 12, 2005, 11:06 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've always wondered about the legality of these registers. I mean if you did the time in jail then you completed your sentance right? After that you're a free person, however this register still condemns you even afer completing your sentance.

To me unless the courts at the time of your sentancing stipulated putting your name in a register, the law shouldn't be able to change the ramifications of your sentance after the guilty plea was entered. It's like changing the rules of the game in midplay.

On another note regarding this register, can you imagine your name being put on this list inadvertantly? It's happened with other lists, I can just see it happening here as well. Mistakes happen all the time and what of those who have similar names? I see a lot of problems with this register albeit more good will come out of it but I foresee many people becoming victims of misuse by it.

This list really needs to be monitored and used a bit more wisely than to just be able to be seen and used by anyone, anytime.

The reason why I feel this way about this regiser is because I have a teenage adult son still in High School (January born and is a senior now) and he's dating an underclassmen girl at his high school. Technically she's a minor and he's an adult even though they're just one year apart.

Let's say he gets sexually involved with her (god forbid but it could happen with teenagers right?) and she get's upset with him for ungrateful reasons.

She could technically call him on being a chld molester and be put in this sex-offender registry if convicted. If she was one year older the circumstances would be very different but this gray zone where one person in a couple turns 18 and the other hasn't (yet) could be a point of contention.

Something to think about.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Dredging up this old thread because I stumbled across a web site that lists all the people in sex offender registry databases in the USA, according to their home addresses. You can type in your own home address and the web site will pull up a Google Maps style map with dots representing all your neighborhood sex offenders, and when you click on a dot you can get the offender's name, address, and photo. Yikes. Is this information accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          I stumbled across a web site that lists all the people in sex offender registry databases in the USA, according to their home addresses.
                          What is the site name and URL?
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            What is the site name and URL?
                            Possibly it's this one.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              I've always wondered about the legality of these registers. I mean if you did the time in jail then you completed your sentence right? After that you're a free person, however this register still condemns you even after completing your sentence.
                              I, too, have a big problem with these registries. Aside from the problems you mentioned, it gives people a false sense of security if nobody on the map lives close to them.

And why put "sex offenders" on the map, but not murderers? I'm more worried about being murdered than I am about former Rep. Galen Fox grabbing my crotch. What about repeat violent offenders, guys who repeatedly go in for assault? Or robbery? Or burglary? Please tell me if my neighbor is a burglar.

The whole thing feeds into the sex-offender hysteria, as well as the absurd "I have a RIGHT to know everything about everyone" notion that has been growing like a cancer for about 30 years in American society. What a country.

And the state of Hawaii allows this, but it doesn't allow women to carry concealed or nonconcealed firearms to protect themselves from assault. It's absurd and offensive.

Comment

i need the web site to find...

...if I have sex offenders in my new neighborhood on the Big Island? I have to worry about my kids,and wife too while I commute to Honolulu to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X