Hokulia Lawsuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hokulia Lawsuits

I agree totally Konaguy. My chief concern about Hokulia was when they attempted to change Hawaii land law to make their development legal. If Hawaii County officials had followed their own development plan instead being paid off to allow Hokulia to happen this would have never happened. I for one like the ag classification, but think that it is over applied. If the State does not want land developed we have a classification for that and it is Conservation. I did some serious checking into the Hokulia situation and through a number of front companies and intermediaries some very large sums of money were given to our worthy and honest (lol) Senators and Representatives at the State Legislature in order to change our land zoning laws by Hokulia. The way I see it the land law itself is ok, it is the slapdash and poorly thought-out way that it is applied that causes problems. The audit of the system should be done in a year or two and then DLNR will hopefully reclassify marginal lands outside of the ag district because they do not belong there. I felt the Hokulia Bill jumped the gun and attempted to rewrite the law to suit preexisting developments rather than waiting for the already triggered audit to finish (at which time they are likely to be reclassified anyway). The real story is that Hokulia's plot to change Hawaii land law worked. When it looked like the bill was going to pass (I was watching from the inside and it was an AWFULLY close call since Hokulia had paid-off the Democrat leadership in the House and Senate to move the bill forward, it was really hard to tell which way it would swing) the plaintiffs got scared and cut a deal, thus ending the court case.

Jewlipino

Comment

I completely agree. If the legislature passed the Hokulia legislation this year,
      it would've given a blank check to pave over our islands. As the majority of
      the statewide agriculture district is considered marginal (or soil class C,D,E,U).

In regards to Hokulia, the blame for this mess is squarely at the feet of Hawaii
      County. They've not followed the law for the last 30 years. Thus the lot owners lawsuits would've been a slam dunk in my opinion. Judge Ibarra's decision to enjoin Hokulia in 2003 was done to put a stop to the abuse of the
      agriculture district. Also it has made people more aware of the serious flaws
      with the agriculture district.

That being said, I believe Judge Ibarra's decision was wrong. Hokulia was 40%
      complete, with lots already sold when Judge Ibarra ordered Hokulia to cease
      construction. Regardless of the validity of the entitlements,you should be able
      to bank on them as solidly secure. Hokulia had their entitlements and developers agreement with Hawaii County by 1998. Five years later after
      350 million was invested,lots were sold, and the project was 40% complete
      it was stopped. You'd think that this would happen in a communist county.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2006/06/21/e...l/letters.html

Critical land issues need strong leadership

The agriculture lands issue is one of the most pressing issues facing this state. We need real leadership and lots of guts from our politicians to get this resolved, instead of them just sticking their heads in the sand.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
        X