No announcement yet.

Kanaka Maoli: Nationalism vs Ethnicity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kanaka Maoli: Nationalism vs Ethnicity?

Originally posted by Rickyrab
    I wonder if there are any good books out there teaching the Hawaiian language...
    Yes, there are.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Yes, there are.
      wow. what IS that store? when did it pop up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
        Actually, the term "kānaka maoli" (as well as "kānaka 'ōiwi") is used to describe the aboriginal inhabitants of the islands of Hawai'i and their modern-day descendants.
        Mahalo Jonah, for the clarification. I rarely see or hear people use "kānaka 'ōiwi"; when and how would that be more appropriate versus using "kānaka maoli"?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          wow. what IS that store? when did it pop up?
          I just found it the other day! Isn't it amazing?!!

Comment

Yes, there are.
            That's a good thing!

Comment

and to go on this tangent of language, but from a personal perspective:

-I don't use terms like "kanaka maoli". In the 19th century newspapers, it is used very rarely (searching on nupepa.org yields only 546 references, and the specific phrase is used even less, for if "kanaka" is used and "maoli" is used in the same column, it still shows up) and from after the 1860s. Through Hawaiian, they simply identified themselves as "kanaka". In English writings, both kanaka and haole writers identified them as "kanaka" (sometimes written as "kanakas" for the English plural form). So I use kanaka. I also don't use "colonize, kolonaio" etc, because talking about freedom all the time isn't freeing. Talking freely without needing to address the "freedom process" is genuinely more freeing. That said, I DO HIGHLY respect the right for our language to be dynamic and evolve and respect the entrance of "kanaka maoli" into our common latter-day vernacular. English has been successful because its a hardy language, a veritable potpourri/garbage dump, if you will. No official govt agency exists to stop the defilement of terms like "fax" creeping into the lexicon.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                I don't use terms like "kanaka maoli". In the 19th century newspapers, it is used very rarely (searching on nupepa.org yields only 546 references, and the specific phrase is used even less, for if "kanaka" is used and "maoli" is used in the same column, it still shows up) and from after the 1860s. Through Hawaiian, they simply identified themselves as "kanaka". In English writings, both kanaka and haole writers identified them as "kanaka" (sometimes written as "kanakas" for the English plural form). So I use kanaka.
                So, in the nupepa of the 19th century, how did they refer to people other than kānaka? Were all other people called haole, or was that word already shifting to its present-day sense of just white people?

I also don't use "colonize, kolonaio" etc, because talking about freedom all the time isn't freeing. Talking freely without needing to address the "freedom process" is genuinely more freeing.
                While I do see their utility, I'm thoroughly tired of having everything interpreted through the multiple -isms of academia: colonialism, imperialism, racism, sexism, and did I forget any?

That said, I DO HIGHLY respect the right for our language to be dynamic and evolve and respect the entrance of "kanaka maoli" into our common latter-day vernacular. English has been successful because its a hardy language, a veritable potpourri/garbage dump, if you will. No official govt agency exists to stop the defilement of terms like "fax" creeping into the lexicon.
                On the other hand you have languages like French or Icelandic, which have official government committees deciding when and how new words get added. That doesn't seem to work very well.

Comment

...an getting back to the Referendum question.

This isn't popular with my fellow kanaka, but my own gut instincts are that the Referendum should not be limited to only those of us who are descended from the peoples who lived in these isles prior to 1778. And I came to that conclusion by taking a hard look at what our country (Hawai'i) was prior to the overthrow. We had significant immigrant-ethnic populations, both foreign and domestic born. We had a naturalized citizen process that spanned several monarchs and legislatures. Taxes were collected by the whole citizenry.

It took me quite a while to shift my thinking on the subject. But then, I've been thinking about it for nearly 20 years. A root of our cries comes to the "loss of a sense of place". But its not only the kanaka who faces these concerns. We don't talk about it too much, but diseases from eating the same amount of spam, siguiteria-infested fish, raising our families near the same chemically-sprayed plantation-run-off parks and beaches, are all morphing us into facing the similar biochemical challenges. I heard several years ago from a friend in the insurance biz that cancer rates in east Big Island were so significant that the decision to build a chemo treatment center there made more fiscal sense then building another one in Honolulu.

As for reparations, or other applications of salve unto the kanaka, I suggest that we think bigger and more inclusive. Every blessing upon our kanaka today stems from ali'i who saw our people dying. KS, QLCC, Lunalilo Home, Kapi'olani Hospital, Queens....I see it about making more lemonade...

pax

Comment

Heading back to the original topic at hand, I really do wonder what will happen to Hawai‘i and its people in the next hundred years. I see people trying to construct models of Hawai‘i-to-be starting from basic legal premises (what if we stay as is? what if we establish a blood quantum? what if we separate from America? what if we revert to the kingdom?) and then projecting the outcomes. I'd rather start with the outcomes and work backwards to see what premises we need to change.

What do I want Hawai‘i to look like in 2100?

I want the Hawaiian language and culture to survive and prosper.

I want the native creatures of the land and the sea to survive and prosper.

I want the Hawaiian islands to be more economically self sufficient of outside goods and services and capital, so that we can have more control over our own destinies.

And I want my own, non-kānaka, family, who have been in the islands more than a century already, not to unfairly lose its property and rights to kānaka.

Boy, I don't want much, do I.

Comment

So, in the nupepa of the 19th century, how did they refer to people other than k?naka? Were all other people called haole, or was that word already shifting to its present-day sense of just white people?.
                      Kepani, Pukiki, Pake, Palani, Beretania, Amelika...each lahui (people) got identified by where they came from. "Haole" went through an interesting morph during Kamehameha III's time...domestic-born children of missionaries saw that as a term of pride. They spoke Hawaiian more readily than they did the language of their fathers. Some were Americans, others British, and they weren't really the "same". But Haole became a unifier of sorts, these Hawaiian-born children of immigrants. "Haole" really is the beta version for the term "local". Its because these kids were freakin' haoles that their mortified folks started Punahou, after all. They wanted to civilize them past their haole selves, to ready them for further education abroad.

I think the application of "haole" to any white person was a disserving metamorphosis. It really is a shame how it changed, imo.

pax

Comment

Heading back to the original topic at hand, I really do wonder what will happen to Hawai‘i and its people in the next hundred years. I see people trying to construct models of Hawai‘i-to-be starting from basic legal premises (what if we stay as is? what if we establish a blood quantum? what if we separate from America? what if we revert to the kingdom?) and then projecting the outcomes. I'd rather start with the outcomes and work backwards to see what premises we need to change.
                        that's how I think things through, too.

What do I want Hawai‘i to look like in 2100?

I want the Hawaiian language and culture to survive and prosper.
                        and in order to do so, it has to be sexy. The kids gotta want to talk it, live it, prosper through it. It has to be a lingua franca of business, the home, society...

I want the native creatures of the land and the sea to survive and prosper.
                        yep.

I want the Hawaiian islands to be more economically self sufficient of outside goods and services and capital, so that we can have more control over our own destinies.
                        yepyepyep. We have to. Refer back to the comment earlier about status quo. It isn't the *profound* implications I worry about. It is the necessities of being a successful island economy in this globalizing tide. It doesn't work for us to have that tita carrying that torch on Ellis Island and all the federal policies that go with it, when our needs are much more finite, more fragile. Our lessons need to be gleaned from other isles and how they juggle. I love the U.S. don't get me wrong. I am proud of how the USofA does many, many things. Democracy is ingrained in me. But she needs to spin us off. Let us learn from how she does things. But we have different economies of scale and we need the freedom to manage that.

And I want my own, non-k?naka, family, who have been in the islands more than a century already, not to unfairly lose its property and rights to k?naka.

Boy, I don't want much, do I.
                        nah, the likelihood is your Kepani sons are gonna fall sway to those Hawaiian chicka-po'os and you are gonna have some beautiful hapa mo'opuna.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          nah, the likelihood is your Kepani sons are gonna fall sway to those Hawaiian chicka-po'os and you are gonna have some beautiful hapa mo'opuna.
                          Heh, you would think I'd have thought of that! But yeah, considering the boys my daughter is making eyes at these days...

Comment

Taking a time-out here to express my heartfelt mahalo for the discourse we are having on the subject. Banter like this doesn't happen often enough, especially without it desintergrating into a cyber-shoot-out, ya know? I am grateful to everyone who contributes! :-)

pax

Comment

Mahalo Jonah, for the clarification. I rarely see or hear people use "kānaka 'ōiwi"; when and how would that be more appropriate versus using "kānaka maoli"?
                              "Kānaka maoli" and "kānaka 'ōiwi" are primarily modern, socio-political terms that came into use during the last few decades or so."Maoli" is usually used to describe the true indigenous native of Hawai'i (and their descendants), while "'ōiwi" is used to describe someone who looks like an indigenous native of Hawai'i or "passes" as one. During the 19th century, the terms "kānaka" or "po'e" (often written as "poe") were sufficient to describe the indigenous people of Hawai'i.
                              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

If there are no effective leaders in the Hawaiian community then where do these people go at this point?

I honestly believe if moving forward is needed here then all Hawaiians should unite and form that chamber of commerce and become the economic powerhouse as my grandfather suggested to my dad back in the plantation days of Hawaii. A lot of Nisei did that and look at who is in those seats now! As for political power, hmmm there was George Ariyoshi, Daniel Inouye just to name a few. We (the nisei and sansei generations) followed our parents advice and we pretty much took advantage of a land in transistion.

We are in another state of transition as awareness of the Monarchy become more and more apparent. With a greater appreciation for the plight of native Hawaiians there isn't a better time to unite and form a single entity to govern and provide an economic voice in this state. It is much needed with all Hawaiians speaking collectively instead of independantly if change is to happen.

One thing needed is a presentable and well-educated individual that can speak on behalf of Hawaiians. That last debate on KITV with that representative of the Hawaiians was a pure joke. Those two others simply walked all over that poor guy. And one guy was actually on his side!

That kind of representation didn't help the cause, it only set it back. In order to get any progressive dialog, all parties have to be on the same level and intellect.

This poor guy didn't seem to understand the complexities of what was being debated upon. I understand where he was coming from however I feel he didn't do a good enough part in representing his people. He was simple and genuine with a solid foundation for debate, however the debate focused on a more specific issue, the Akaka Bill. His blanket statement was that only Kanaka Maoli should have any say in their future. I agree wholeheartedly, however that wasn't the basis of the debate. He failed to see or understand that.

And it is that kind of representation that I fear will misguide or steer the Kanaka Maoli into a dangerous path of misunderstanding of the goals ahead. This is the reason why I feel Hawaiians need to become better educated enmass. And like a broken record, this is why I support KSBE because they share that strategic vision of educating the best and brightest of Hawaiians so they can go out and provide a public service to those Hawaiians less fortunate to understand the greater intellect that must be had in order to conquer those against self-determination.

If you're gonna battle it out, fight smart not hard. KSBE wants to educate all Hawaiians but with limited resources, they have to pick the best of the crop to do. That's smart. Sitting in front of the State Legislature and speaking emotionally instead of tactfully isn't smart. Remember Ms. Trask's foul language that day in front of the Capitol building? Not smart at all.

KSBE plants the seed of enlightment thru education...there are others like Ho'owaiwai Na Kamali'i's Native Hawaiian Early Childhood Summit geared for families of native Hawaiian Keiki. Their summit last month on Oahu and this weekend at KSBE is called: Kumukahi - United as One. So important is this summit focusing on native Hawaiian early childhood education that KSBE is involved in it's success.

Eventually as generations pass and grow, awareness thru these kinds of summits will allow future generations to foresee a life of self-determination. However along with the seed of empowerment...Hawaiians need to provide the fertile soil for it's growth. That soil is the political and economic grounds for which these seeds can grow and flourish.

Act now for the sake of your Keiki...as in the fighting words of KSBE, "IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!"
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X