Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Gas Cap Law

Originally posted by tutusue
    I've solved the problem! I fill up as soon as the tank shows half full. The price is the same as before all of this madness began! Of course, I don't admit to myself that I fill up twice as often nor do I bother to print out a Quicken report showing exactly what I've spent on gas. Instead, I prefer to live in my own little fairy tale world!
    Funny, I've started doing that, too. Now I stop by a gas station almost everyday! I have a special affinity for days when I have to drive to Kahuku, then back to town, then out to Waianae, then to Hawaii Kai... thankfully those are few and far between...

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to drive for a living.

Maybe I should start riding TheBus.... "Hey Dick, there's a fire out in Makaha... "

Comment

Does anyone know what the Gas Cap price would be if it were still in effect?
      Higher or Lower than todays prices?

Comment

bringing back the gas cap and what are your thought's?

hi this is sansei and i heard on the news,what are your thought's if the gas cap should be brought back since our gas price's are rising and guess who would like to re-introduce the gas cap,Ron menor who think's it would work,only people here remember what happened and not many want it back so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Re: bringing back the gas cap and what are your thought's?

Government always thinks that price controls are a good answer. But if the free market were allowed to flourish, it would not take 20 years to build a refinery, or come up with new oil sources. Guess which side of the political coin is responsible for those 2 thoughts.

Hooray for Obama. Rah Rah Rah !

glurg
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

An economic analyst recently said the price of oil would be about $80 a bbl if supply and demand alone were controlling the price. The rest is caused by speculation. Speculation is fine most of the time but in this case it is threatening to strangle the country's economy. Nobody stands in more danger from high oil prices than Hawai'i--not only have two airlines shut down, but other airlines will have to raise prices enough to price a lot of visitors out of the market for travel to the Islands. And if fuel gets expensive enough it will literally be impossible for airlines to operate at all. So end the speculation. Do it with excess profits taxes. Its actually not the oil companies fault, its the futures market. It reacted giantly on Friday when rumors of an imminent attack against Iran began circulating. The value of the dollar has also dropped because of the cost of the war in Iraq and financing tax cuts for billionaires on borrowing. The cost of imports goes up when the dollar drops and the only import the country really needs is petroleum. You are probably going to see a lot of inflation coming at you pretty fast because all of these costs will cycle and recycle through the economy. I wish the supreme ct had not sent a spoiled rich boy to do a man's job in 2000, this is all basically their fault.
            Last edited by Kalalau; June 8, 2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I STILL think y'all are wimps, cause I pay more than ten bucks a gallon. Spoiled rotten babies.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm betting that the economy will readjust and there will be new markets in place of the old such as alternative energy becoming mainstream. The gas cap won't do anything. Gas is actually more expensive in Cali then it is in Hawaii so how will the argument of a gas cap play out? Kinda hard to argue that Hawaii is being singled out for gouging when other states pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  I STILL think y'all are wimps, cause I pay more than ten bucks a gallon. Spoiled rotten babies.
                  We're very well aware of how you feel. You've stated it more than once. You're not going to change the fact that those of us who have made the choice to remain residing in the good ol' US of A, and have been used to, and geared our budgets around, USA prices are upset. "Spoiled rotten babies"? I don't think so. Why do you resort to name calling?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    I STILL think y'all are wimps, cause I pay more than ten bucks a gallon.
                    That's been the case throughout much of Europe for quite a while, hasn't it?

Guess the gas price rise proves wrong those of us who protested the invasion of Iraq, claiming it was about controlling Mideast oil, no? (Or does it simply mean the current administration couldn't even do that right?)
                    Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    Gas is actually more expensive in Cali then it is in Hawaii so how will the argument of a gas cap play out? Kinda hard to argue that Hawaii is being singled out for gouging when other states pay more.
                    ...and Alaska, Connecticut & Washington State.

Comment

Gas is actually more expensive in Cali then it is in Hawaii so how will the argument of a gas cap play out? Kinda hard to argue that Hawaii is being singled out for gouging when other states pay more.
                      This is actually the first logical argument made regarding the gas price caps in this thread. Studies show the gas cap can reduce prices, depending on which market the formula uses. The problem with Hawai‘i’s cap has been in choosing markets that are relevant to the islands. Our state actually gets most of its oil from Alaska and Asia, so the California/New York-based formula used under Sen. Ron Menor’s 2006 gas cap experiment is the reason it failed to reduce prices.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        This is actually the first logical argument made regarding the gas price caps in this thread. Studies show the gas cap can reduce prices, depending on which market the formula uses. The problem with Hawai‘i’s cap has been in choosing markets that are relevant to the islands. Our state actually gets most of its oil from Alaska and Asia, so the California/New York-based formula used under Sen. Ron Menor’s 2006 gas cap experiment is the reason it failed to reduce prices.
                        I actually thought Hawaii's gas all came from either Indonesia or Australia? We have from Alaska? If it's Indo and Oz, the whole gas cap formula would never work since we can't really compare to any of the other 49 states. We are an island unto ourselves.

I always wondered, is the geothermal on the big island off limits to development?

Comment

I want to congratulate Sansei for breaking out of his mode of posts to start a thread of significance. I absolutely ache when I get gas, which I do now when the VanRover hits the half-tank mark.

Oui-oui, Susie. I hear you. Frankly, I think there is a global exploitation of petroleum sales, manipulated by a very select few.

No matter what their object, those who exploit commodities and people should be sent to a special hell. They operate without conscience.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                            I absolutely ache when I get gas, which I do now when the VanRover hits the half-tank mark.
                            Me too. Simethicone helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                              I absolutely ache when I get gas, which I do now when the VanRover hits the half-tank mark.
                              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Me too. Simethicone helps.
                              *snort*

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Guess the gas price rise proves wrong those of us who protested the invasion of Iraq, claiming it was about controlling Mideast oil, no? (Or does it simply mean the current administration couldn't even do that right?)
                              i think it means the current administration succeeded yet again in enriching the scant few at the expense of the masses, bcs the biggest reason for escalating gas prices has to do with oil speculation.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I actually thought Hawaii's gas all came from either Indonesia or Australia? We have from Alaska?
                                I was relying on news reports for my information. But since you asked, I decided to check it out.

According to the State, we do get a little less than 1% of our oil from Alaska. Most of it, apparently, now comes from Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Bruinei, Indonesia and China. An undetermined amount comes from Australia.
                                Last edited by TuNnL; June 9, 2008, 02:12 AM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X