Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will take care of Hawai'i's elderly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will take care of Hawai'i's elderly?

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    [...]Back to bed I go....

Auntie Lynn
    Sorry to hear you're ailing, Auntie. Lucky you have Mama. And, lucky Mama has you.

I'm at the age where I can no longer consider myself immortal and impervious to aging! It's so strange to be planning for the unknown. It's much easier to plan for one's death than to plan for one's possible frailties. During the remodel of my condo, do I add a grab bar in the shower or not? How about a built in seat? A panic button? Should I incorporate near floor level and near ceiling level storage? Will there come a time I won't be able to access either? Or, am I willing frailties that might not otherwise happen? Then there's the issue of long term care, be it assisted living or a nursing home. Will there be space available when and if it's needed? It's just so bizarre to be at that stage in life where I have to think about those things. It seems like yesterday that my 50th birthday was light years away; an incomprehensible number! That came and went with the speed of light! Where oh where did the time go?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

My mug shot (see the Michelle Wie thread) lost detail in scaling it down to HT standards. What isn't evident is the 'pucker'.
      In excruciating detail, behold tutusue's 'pucker' .

Comment

Sorry to hear you're ailing, Auntie. Lucky you have Mama. And, lucky Mama has you.

I'm at the age where I can no longer consider myself immortal and impervious to aging! It's so strange to be planning for the unknown. It's much easier to plan for one's death than to plan for one's possible frailties. During the remodel of my condo, do I add a grab bar in the shower or not? How about a built in seat? A panic button? Should I incorporate near floor level and near ceiling level storage? Will there come a time I won't be able to access either? Or, am I willing frailties that might not otherwise happen? Then there's the issue of long term care, be it assisted living or a nursing home. Will there be space available when and if it's needed? It's just so bizarre to be at that stage in life where I have to think about those things. It seems like yesterday that my 50th birthday was light years away; an incomprehensible number! That came and went with the speed of light! Where oh where did the time go?
        I am one the lucky ones as far as Stroke Survivors are concern. I have regain all feelings in my legs and hands. I still have my grab bar in the shower/tub which I use to put my shampoo and liquid soap on it's bar. Instead of building a built in seat - there are various models that do just as well which you can use in the shower/tub. I still use mine.

Tutusue, no worry. It's great to plan and have something in place. It's also a good idea to share it with our children. The most important gift we can give them is our "Living Will."

Odda den dat...Party! You earned it! Life is to be Enjoyed!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          I am one the lucky ones as far as Stroke Survivors are concern. I have regain all feelings in my legs and hands. I still have my grab bar in the shower/tub which I use to put my shampoo and liquid soap on it's bar. Instead of building a built in seat - there are various models that do just as well which you can use in the shower/tub. I still use mine.

Tutusue, no worry. It's great to plan and have something in place. It's also a good idea to share it with our children. The most important gift we can give them is our "Living Will."

Odda den dat...Party! You earned it! Life is to be Enjoyed!

Auntie Lynn
          Thanks, Auntie. How'reya feeling today? Nah, I'm not worried. There are just various milestones in one's life that can take one by surprise. I know you remember holding your daughter in your arms after you gave birth. Then...holding your grandson, your daughter's baby, in your arms for the first time. No matter how much we plan and prepare, it's always a (wonderful) surprise when our babies have babies. A milestone!

Yes, a living will, not to mention estate planning, is a very good thing. However, that's planning for something inevitable...death. Not to make light of it but that's why it's easier to plan for. We all know it's going to happen and there are various options in place to plan for it according to one's circumstances and wishes.

Planning for the unknown (one's health during one's later years) is much more difficult, I find, because it is just that...unknown.

Oh, and 'cuz I'm remodeling anyway and want to stay within my 'little grass shack' theme, that's why I'm considering building in something I may not need later on. That way I can design them so that they're less noticable. Must admit, the aging process wasn't a part of my thought process 'til I started exchanging remodeling ideas with the contractor! That's when I started hearing...Since the bathroom will be gutted, have you thought about adding <fill in the blanks!>! Well, no, I hadn't! But I'm thinking about it now! Another milestone!

Party? You betcha. My avatar proves that!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            In excruciating detail, behold tutusue's 'pucker' .
            Bwaha! As long as you were embellishing the photo (red scarf!) ya coulda at least done a little air brushing! Now ya know why I'm planning on handrails and shower seats!

Comment

Bwaha! As long as you were embellishing the photo (red scarf!) ya coulda at least done a little air brushing!
              How about a softer "come hither" look instead?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                How about a softer "come hither" look instead?[...]
                I'll save that look for the ol' futs home!
                How'dya do that, anyway?

Comment

Yes, a living will, not to mention estate planning, is a very good thing. However, that's planning for something inevitable...death. Not to make light of it but that's why it's easier to plan for. We all know it's going to happen and there are various options in place to plan for it according to one's circumstances and wishes.

Planning for the unknown (one's health during one's later years) is much more difficult, I find, because it is just that...unknown.
                  Actually, what used to be referred to as the "living will" is really an Advanced Directive for health care issues. It has nothing to do with what happens after one dies. Advance Directives come in 2 parts...one is the portion regarding life support, tube feedings, comfort care, etc. and the 2nd part is the part where you can name an agent to act on your behalf regarding your medical decisions if you are no longer capable of making them yourself. The good part about these forms is that you don't need an attorney to complete them and they are available for free from many sources, including any hospital social work department. Advance Directives are something that every adult should consider completing because you never know when you will be in a position where you are unable to direct your health care decisions and who in your family may be fighting over what to let the doctors do or not do.

It's good that you are considering making some enhancements to your home while the need isn't urgent. I've often seen families rushing to have grab bars, ramps, etc. put in before their loved one comes home from the hospital (and we know how fast hospitals kick people out nowadays).

The unfortunate truth is that most people DON'T have enough money saved to pay privately for caregivers or long term care AND most children work full time jobs and can't afford to take time off from work to care for their loved ones. I have seen over and over again where people have to deplete what little money they've saved to pay privately for long term care and then end up applying for Medicaid to cover their stays in nursing homes or foster homes because there is no other person or funds available to pay for the 24 hr. care needed.

Comment

AlohaCandy, Mahalo for clarifying the term "Living Will to Advance Directive." That's what I ment when I told Tutusue. When MAMA was hospitilized in January, I had to make some very fast decisions. I did it without the approval of my siblings. I didn't care and I was ready for the fight of my Life. She signed the papers. It was fast and easy. Now, it is filed and stored safely to be used when it shall be needed. It will save many decisions, tears and sufferings.

For me, mine was made a long time ago. It is the right thing to do and the best gift to give a family before one is incapable of making decisions for oneself.

The horrors of not having enough money to take care of a loved one after a medical ordeal or accident is all too familiar. It happened to me. I once again stress the importance of planning and not taking granted of being young and healthy. No one Young or Old is safe from becoming an invalid or worse face death. See today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/05/news/story02.html

A family can quickly become desitute and face a Life they are not use to. All it takes is that one illness, accident that wasn't planned. I've also seen many situations such as mine. It's happening evey single day.

The worse I've seen is the elderly being forgotten by thier children. They fend for themselves. Live on Social Security and Meals on Wheels. Their high for the day is their visits to the local grocery story to talk story amongst themselves and reminisce about the past. Ask them a question about their past and their whole face lights up...so eager and hungry to share. I always make it a point to allot extra time when I go to shop.

The elderly. We can learn so much from them. We must take care of them. It is our duty. I know it is mine.

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 5, 2006, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                      Actually, what used to be referred to as the "living will" is really an Advanced Directive for health care issues. It has nothing to do with what happens after one dies. Advance Directives come in 2 parts...one is the portion regarding life support, tube feedings, comfort care, etc. and the 2nd part is the part where you can name an agent to act on your behalf regarding your medical decisions if you are no longer capable of making them yourself. The good part about these forms is that you don't need an attorney to complete them and they are available for free from many sources, including any hospital social work department. Advance Directives are something that every adult should consider completing because you never know when you will be in a position where you are unable to direct your health care decisions and who in your family may be fighting over what to let the doctors do or not do.
                      [...]
                      This is good info but what I find interesting in my life right now is planning for the unknown that precedes needing a directive. I'm not worrying about it but it's such a surprise to be faced with making some decisions when I've spent a lifetime thinking those types of decisions were so far down the road as to not even warrant a thought! How time flies!!!

Both of my parents had directives...thank goodness. My dad passed in his sleep so I wasn't called upon to make the final decision. I did have to make it on behalf of my mom.

Comment

Just an FYI...

Tools for Life 2006
                        --Hawaii Convention Center
                        --free admission
                        --8am to 6pm
                        --June 8; also June 9 from noon to 6pm and June 10 from 8am to 3pm
                        --“ Tools for Life is one of the leading venues in the pacific that offers a wide selection of exhibits and educational presentations focusing on assistive technology products, services and laws affecting the lives of people with disabilities. Tools For Life 2004 was a huge success with over 100 international exhibits and more than 2000 people in attendance. This year only looks to increase this grand event for the Pacific Rim. By moving the venue to the illustrious Hawaii Convention Center on the island of Oahu, we anticipate over 150 exhibits and 3500+ attendees. Supplementing the showcase of exhibits is the 2006 HMSA’s Caring For Family, Caring For Yourself: A Caregivers Conference on June 9-10, and the Disability Access Conference on June 8-9. Both conferences will use the expo as the focal point of this 3-day event. Additionally, the expo is FREE to the public. Aside from featuring hundreds of exhibit booths from the world leaders in assistive technology and services for people with disabilities, the event will place emphasis on physical activity, serving home to wheelchair recreation performances, accessible transportation demonstrations, nationally recognized keynote speakers, and drop in sessions available to all exhibitors in conference rooms or the fully accessible computer lab.”
                        -- http://www.toolsforlifehawaii.com

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/14/news/story10.html

Few in state prepared for old age

A survey finds little awareness of the cost of long-term care

By Helen Altonn

"Islanders who think they can rely on a government program to care for them when they're older may find too late that it's too little.

AARP surveyed 1,456 Americans age 45 and older to see how much they know about costs and funding sources for nursing homes, assisted-living residences and in-home care.

Many knew little about the programs or costs, the organization said in a report released today to educate members, policy makers and the public.

About 52 percent think Medicare covers assisted living. Not true.

Nearly six in 10, or 59 percent, think Medicare covers nursing home stays after three months for age-related or other chronic conditions. Not true."

Aiyah! I take care of my MAMA. She is definitely covered. As for me...yeah, I'm covered. You betta believe it. I don't want to be a burden on my kids. Planning for your old age whether it's for retirement in good health or for the unfortunate is always akamai. And even planning for one's funeral is smart too. It's not morbid anymore to plan for such things.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Bumping this thread!

I've been taking care of my MAMA for several years. She recently had Open Heart Surgery and survived. Now she is back home with me. It's been quite exhausting to say the least but I knew it would be.

I wasn't prepared for her being delusional. Especially, her cries when she is in deep pain. I want to scream out so loud but I keep it all inside for I must be strong. I am the caregiver and she the patient.

Our roles are now reversed.

Mother and Child.

My daughter visits often and told me I needed to have Respite. I agreed. No matter what happens, I will not put MAMA in a Nursing Facility. I am Skilled as a Nurses Aide. As long as I am able physically and mentally FIT to take care of her, I will.

Which brings me to my own future someday. Seeing the faces of my own children as they watch me take care of their Grandma showed me what kind of kid's I raised and know what will become of me.

To all of those who take care of the Elderly, MAHALO!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                            X