X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

Originally posted by Miulang

Maybe Daniel Akaka should think about running for Governor. Forget about the mess in Washington, DC. Come back to Hawai'i...be Hawai'i's first kanaka maoli Governor. How cool would that be?

Miulang

No, John Waihe'e already took that honor

Case's strategy boggles my mind. What if he *doesn't* get Akaka's spot? Dude will be out of office. Then there will be a puka on the House side.

And Case pissed off a few oldtimers when he ran against Patsy's husband on that special election. Her loyalists did NOT care for what he did. My informal pulse-check is that Case is pissing off a lot of people for his lack of shrewdness in being a team player in the democratic kumiai.

pax

Comment

One cool thing about Daniel Akaka is that with his experience and wisdom (cunning), he's being very diplomatic.

Maybe Daniel Akaka should think about running for Governor. Forget about the mess in Washington, DC. Come back to Hawai'i...be Hawai'i's first kanaka maoli Governor. How cool would that be?

Miulang

I don't know about cunning. It's widely known that Sen. Akaka cannot work on more than one issue at a time and it's usually pretty lite stuff. There are two senators from Hawaii in DC and only one of him has all of his faculties. People who have spoken with Akaka, in DC, on the issues, says he's been pretty dreamy for more than 10 years.
      Case has the right idea. He's got my vote. Abercrombie's display reminded me of a little boy in the school yard who went wah-wah-wah when the smart kid got sent to the front of the line.
      Honestly, does anyone really think that Ed Case did this on a whim? That there's no strategy? That he's in this ALONE? Is it quite possible that Dan Inouye just might see the Case for brains?
      What's Ed's biggest challenge? Being a rich haole who wen grad from Punahou? Smart? Articulate? Diplomatic? Aware of all of the issues?
      Hawaii has a chance to put elect a senator that Congress can look up to in a big way. Case is a leader. We all know that he could someday lead Congress. I'm not so sure the majority of Congress would get behind Abercrombie. I think his super hero days are over. Why doesn't HE run for governor?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

If Case really wanted to do good for Hawai'i, he wouldn't do it in Washington, DC. He would be at home, working to resolve local issues. He's on a power trip, as are all the people who are in Washington, DC. I don't like the pork barrel politics that's being played right now in Washington, DC.

Miulang

P.S. Studies have shown that it's more efficient to work on one thing at a time than be scattered all over the place (see last week's Time Magazine article on the effects of multitasking)
        Last edited by Miulang; January 21, 2006, 06:59 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

We all know that he could someday lead Congress.
          Er, your evidence for this is what, exactly? He's a junior Representative in the House; he'd be even more junior in the Senate. Ed Case is an ambitious guy who seems to think it would be better to be one of 40+ minority-party Senators than one of 200+ minority-party Representatives. He might be right from a personal point of view, but if there's a more closed club than the Senate (unless your name is already widely known -- see Clinton, H. --) I can't think of one. The only way you make a name in the Senate as a junior member is to be insane -- see Coburn, T. or Inhofe, J.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Ed's got my VOTE! I rest my "Case"!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hui Tita! Tell everybody the reasons why you going vote for Ed Case. Maybe you can convince some people he's the right man for the job.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hui Tita! Tell everybody the reasons why you going vote for Ed Case. Maybe you can convince some people he's the right man for the job.

Miulang
                Not time yet. Too early in the game. In time. In time. I wanna see what everybody says first. Ok. I say lil' bit.

All I know is Rep. Ed Case is the person I am going to vote for. I have supported Dan Akaka from the start since he ran for office. I respect him and appreciate what he has done for my family personally. However, he is makule already. He needs to retire and enjoy his life with his family.

I was just as shocked as everyone of Ed's announcement to run against Senator Akaka. However, I believe in him and his visions. It was he who took time out to visit my daughter in Iraq. He is someone who is reachable and not a politician who will turn his back on the people! He doesn't rant and rave but is a gentlemen who will represent our State well. He looks for answers. He goes into the communities and speaks to the people.

There are many other reasons why. I'll save for later. Too early in the game.
                ...it's gonna get interesting!

Auntie Lynn
                momthreesoldiers

My daughter and Congressman Ed Case in Iraq

Congressman Ed Case with Troopers!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; January 21, 2006, 12:11 PM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If Case really wanted to do good for Hawai'i, he wouldn't do it in Washington, DC. He would be at home, working to resolve local issues. He's on a power trip, as are all the people who are in Washington, DC. I don't like the pork barrel politics that's being played right now in Washington, DC.

Miulang

P.S. Studies have shown that it's more efficient to work on one thing at a time than be scattered all over the place (see last week's Time Magazine article on the effects of multitasking)

Then why shouldn't they all stay in Hawaii?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                    Then why shouldn't they all stay in Hawaii?
                    Is that a rhetorical question?

Miulang

Comment

Is that a rhetorical question?

Miulang

Of course. I appreciate your sense of humor. But I also appreciate your sense of patriotism--to Hawaii and its people. I get it, Miulang. But I think you and I disagree here. Let's agree to disagree, OK?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

FR LavaGal
                        "People who have spoken with Akaka, in DC, on the issues, says he's been pretty dreamy for more than 10 years. Case has the right idea. He's got my vote. Abercrombie's display reminded me of a little boy in the school yard who went wah-wah-wah when the smart kid got sent to the front of the line."

1. You are so right on. He is a gentle, diplomatic elder but HELLO
                        wake up tutu. And no one can stand Abercrombie, not even Dan.
                        Do you think anyone on the hill will forget Abercrombie's first few years?
                        That scary long haired elfin Lord of the Rings vibe... in Washington?
                        Which brings me to --

"Is it quite possible that Dan Inouye just might see the Case for brains?"

Yes! Not only, but outwardly Godfather Dan can't back this move. Hey, he
                        knows better than anyone that Dan Akaka should have retired last time.
                        This is a great way to make the play, save face as the elder statesman,
                        not piss off Mini Me (waa waa) and see what shakes. If it works, great.
                        He's got the young turk in place. If he fails, too bad.
                        http://hawaiithreads.com/newreply.php?

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          Of course. I appreciate your sense of humor. But I also appreciate your sense of patriotism--to Hawaii and its people. I get it, Miulang. But I think you and I disagree here. Let's agree to disagree, OK?
                          No prob there, Lavagal. You get to choose the next Senator for Hawai'i, anyway. I'm not registered to vote in Hawai'i, and I'm pretty happy with the people who represent the State of Washington right now.

Miulang

Comment

You guyz alwayz funny in Hawaii.

Pro-Case says he's smart and is doing what's best for Hawaii.
                            Anti-Case says he's a disrespectul typical Haole who doesn't respect his elders.

Truth is you all racial. Not racist. But Racial. Hawaii's politics has always been racial. You Japanese, I vote for you. You Haole, I vote for you.

Even Cases move, despite what he claims, is all racial.

There are 2 issues making Case run.

1) The changing demographic of the outer islands
                            2) The Akaka bill.

Case has done the math and must think that there are enough Haoles on Maui, Kauai, and West Hawaii to make a dent. But he can't win with the easy Haole vote. He needs more. Maybe.

See, he at least was born and raised in the Japanese town of Hilo. Plus his wife is Japanese. May not help but at least small chance.

Don't believe Case when he talks about Hawaiians. Case has no intention of supporting the Akaka bill the way Akaka supports it. Case will sit back and let the Pro and Anit Akaka Hawaiians just fight until the thing dies and blame them. Plus, many of the plantation asians immigrants in Hawaii silently are opposed to the Akaka bill. They believe they are the "new Hawaiian" and any attempt to legally define what it is to be a real Hawaiian makes them feel more immigant and less comfortable. Case knows that if the Akaka bill becomes an issue, AJAs and others might vote for him just enough to tip the scale.

Akaka has the Hawaiians but Hawaiians don't vote. Akaka has got the chinese but there are hardly any Chinese in Hawaii. Akaka would normally have the Japanese, but I believe the majority are silently against the Akaka Bill and any recognition for Hawaiians.

Thats whats going on. You guys can pretend to argue the merits of the candidates but in Hawaii it always about race and power.

I personally don't like Case. He is a sheep in wolves clothing. But I watch with interest because if he wins, Hawaii has changed. If he loses, Hawaii remains the same for another 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                              You guyz alwayz funny in Hawaii.
                              Interesting observations, but I think it is huge misstep
                              that Case is doing here. In other words he is gambling
                              that he can win, versus keeping a comfy seat in the
                              House. Which would've easily gotten re-elected for
                              years.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Terrific conversation. i can't help but think how delirious the
                                republicans are watching this whole democratic
                                thing blow. Either way they take a lead.

Comment

Working...
                                X