X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

Originally posted by kamuelakea
    Everyone who is not HAWAIIAN, even one drop, is an immigrant. (...) My point is that even though everyone can try to create groups that are large enough to feel like a majority, ie Asians, Japanese, Locals, kama'aina, etc, if they aren't Hawaiian, they are immigrants.
    And my point, again (which most of you seemed to agree with) is that there really is no such thing as a native Hawaiian and that the first ones to be called that name are indeed immigrants themselves. There are no human beings who suddenly sprang up out of the aina one day. The first ones here came across the ocean from somewhere else.
    Immigrants, ALL.

But there is something wrong with people who try to redefine what it is to be Hawaiian. Unique culture, unique physical features, unique language.
    Your so-called "Hawaiian culture" is, in reality, a composite of various Polynesian cultures.
    You know... the first immigrants.
    "Unique physical features"? Polynesian.
    "Unique language"? Very obviously Polynesian, strongly Tahitian.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This entire last page of comments has gone completely off track from the subject of Case's decision to enter the primary race against Sen. Akaka, based on somebody's supposition that Case is against the Akaka bill.

Question: Has Case ever said what he thinks about the Akaka bill? I don't recall seeing anything at all about that.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Nothing to do with age or transition. It's about killing Hawaiian Recognition.
        Interesting speculation, but not very believable.
        Case's point that we in Hawai`i need a younger person in the Senate in order to start accumulating seniority (and therefore power for Hawai`i) makes one helluva lot of sense.

That is all SHIBAI as they say in Hawaiian.
        "Shibai" is a Hawaiian word?!??
        Alert the media. And the scholars.

Comment

Its amazing again (and this is my pet peeve) that we can write a heart warming excuse for why certain races congregate together but chastize others who are doing the exact same thing.
          I'm with you on that. I'm always amazed that the politicians in Washington can have a "Black Caucus" that wields lots of power and gets lots of press... but what do you think would happen is someone tried to start a "White Caucus" or even a "Brown Caucus"?!? All hell would break loose.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            And my point, again (which most of you seemed to agree with) is that there really is no such thing as a native Hawaiian and that the first ones to be called that name are indeed immigrants themselves. There are no human beings who suddenly sprang up out of the aina one day. The first ones here came across the ocean from somewhere else.
            Immigrants, ALL.
            Taken to an extreme, your arguement is that no one on planet earth has any "right" to call their home home. Chinese have no right to call China THEIR home, Germans have no right to claim Germany as their home. They are all just African immigrants.

Calling Hawaiian the same as Tahitian is like saying Japanese and Chinese are the same. Silly, ignorant and maybe even racist.

There is no other place on earth where Hawaiians lived. Nowhere. Not in Tahiti, not in Samoa, not in Japan. The first settlers of a place who go on to establish a unique language and culture define that geography. That's what a human with a heart says. Darwinians say touch #$%, you lose, we win. Both can be right, just depends which person you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              This entire last page of comments has gone completely off track from the subject of Case's decision to enter the primary race against Sen. Akaka, based on somebody's supposition that Case is against the Akaka bill.

Question: Has Case ever said what he thinks about the Akaka bill? I don't recall seeing anything at all about that.
              I've been trying to tell them. However, it's quite interesting ~ I'm enjoying the posts. Maybe Admin can spilt it into another thread perhaps?

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Interesting speculation, but not very believable.
                Case's point that we in Hawai`i need a younger person in the Senate in order to start accumulating seniority (and therefore power for Hawai`i) makes one helluva lot of sense.

"Shibai" is a Hawaiian word?!??

"Shibai" is a Hawaiian word?!?? [/QUOTE]

NOOoooooo Really???? Not Hawaiian???? Chee, i neva know. You genius you

Elections are not won in Hawaii and in most other places based upon what makes a helluva lot of sense. They are won in Hawaii based upon ethnic and vocational self preservation. Case cannot win rural Hawaii because it "makes sense". Case can only win if he can tap into some fear or need of a large number of residents.

Hawaiian recognition is the only issue that stands out because that is just about the only thing that defines Dan Akaka right now.

Comment

Taken to an extreme, your arguement is that no one on planet earth has any "right" to call their home home.
                  Basicially, true.

Calling Hawaiian the same as Tahitian is like saying Japanese and Chinese are the same. Silly, ignorant and maybe even racist.
                  Now hold on a second there, buckaroo. What I actually said was that the Hawaiian language was similar (not "same as") and contains a plethora of elements from Tahitian. I most definitely did not say they were the same. If you're going to reply to my comments, at least have the decency to quote me accurately. Calling me ignorant and a racist because you misquoted me is just... stupid.

As a friend of mine says, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister

You are really naive to think that you ask a politician about a heated issue like Hawaiian Recognition and expect to get a straight answer. Come on.

Comment

Basicially, true.

Now hold on a second there, buckaroo. What I actually said was that the Hawaiian language was similar (not "same as") and contains a plethora of elements from Tahitian. I most definitely did not say they were the same. If you're going to reply to my comments, at least have the decency to quote me accurately. Calling me ignorant and a racist because you misquoted me is just... stupid.

As a friend of mine says, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."
                      Here is what you said: And my point, again (which most of you seemed to agree with) is that there really is no such thing as a native Hawaiian and that the first ones to be called that name are indeed immigrants themselves.
                      The word immigrant in this discussion has certain assumed meaning to the readers. Immigrant means to most readers "foreigner". You are trying to use a technical arguement (that Hawaiians came on canoes themselves) to abolish any "right" Hawaiians have to call Hawaii home.

You are a high school debate wiz. Technically you are right but we all know you are wrong.

Aloha

Comment

It would be really really interesting if a reporter or someone with cojones would ask Ed Case for an official statement on his stance regarding the Akaka Bill. If what Kamuelakea has been saying is true (i.e., Case's affiliation with the local Japanese community and the local Japanese business community's being against the Akaka Bill), then I think you'd find Mr. Case equivocating a wee bit. That would certainly tell the kanaka maoli where Case's loyalties lie. Up until now, he's kinda just been going along with agreeing that the Akaka bill was important to Hawai'i, but I've searched and searched and have yet to come up with any declarative published statements from him on his official opinions about the bill, or arguments from him about why he was/wasn't supporting the passage of the bill. As a voter, I want to know what a candidate stands for, so that if he gets elected, I can hold him accountable for his promises. If he doesn't do what he promised, then he doesn't get my vote next time.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; January 24, 2006, 08:53 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here is what you said.
                          Uh, hello? The sentence you quoted had nothing whatsoever to do with the Hawaiian language, which was the point under discussion.
                          Wanna try again?
                          Sheesh.

Comment

...waves hand in the air. hello. is it safe? k-den. I sent Ed an email last night and asked him point blank. He usually answers me. Maybe he's busy or he's changed his email address.

Whatever the "Case" ...or if I get a response, I'll let you know.

Auntie Lynn

ok. continue on.

btw: I am naive and pUpUle!
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2006, 08:59 AM.
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Uh, hello? The sentence you quoted had nothing whatsoever to do with the Hawaiian language, which was the point under discussion.
                              Wanna try again?
                              Sheesh.

No, actually, I admit, you confuse me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                                I've been trying to tell them. However, it's quite interesting ~ I'm enjoying the posts. Maybe Admin can spilt it into another thread perhaps?

Auntie Lynn

While I agree I have to work at keeping on subject, I also think it is impossible to discuss Hawaii politics without the element of race and history. It defines Hawaii politics more than anything else. More than Senate seniority arguements.

Comment

Working...
                                X