X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

Originally posted by kamuelakea
    While I agree I have to work at keeping on subject, I also think it is impossible to discuss Hawaii politics without the element of race and history. It defines Hawaii politics more than anything else. More than Senate seniority arguements.
    Fine, but there are several other threads where that's discussed. It could be argued that Case's decision is more about national politics than Hawai'i ones.

I was just hoping to get this thread back onto its original track, not trying to shut anyone up.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Actually, this race should NOT be about national politics; it should be about which Senatorial candidate can do the most good for the people of Hawai'i.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

kamuelakea, I think we both agree in what we're so passionate about but we differ on how we got to the same position.

It is my conclusion that no matter when a group people came and settled here in Hawaii, they become part of the "Local" culture at some point and no other established immigrant culture (not indiginent) should have a lock on what should be included and what shouldn't. That would be arrogant.

The Japanese yes in their sheer numbers outvoted many others and gained the power seats throughout Hawaii. But that's part of their industrious manners. They saw an opportunity and jumped at it.

So what of the Hawaiians? Yes they lived in a harmoneous environment until the white man came and brought in western culture. But the Hawaiians were also warring people who fought for those "feudal" lands thru bloodshed. What happened to their warrior nature when their lands were threatened to be overtaken? Had they become complacent? No I do believe because of their fractured ideology they reverted back to their feudal nature, some even denouncing the great one himself, Kamehameha the Great. It is apparent now with the factions fighting for the throne.

If you had to compare the Japanese in Hawaii back then to any kind of animal I would compare them to ants...yes small worker ants who toil in great numbers and accomplish a lot. Yes 50% left, but that means the hardest working of those who came, stayed back. With a dedicated workforce like that you can only imagine great success.

Hawaiians were overwhelmed by the cultures east and west influencing their "local" way, but eventually their way became modified as more and more immigrants poured into these islands and thus started the trend.

So Kanaka Maoli were the first to develop a "local" way of life in their new land. Was it original...I think not. I do believe it was a modification of their ancestral culture such as Tahiti). After they settled here the next wave of foreigners to visit Hawaii brought with them their culture and the Hawaiians adopted some, rejected others and the trend has never stopped to this day.

But getting back OT, as a "Young AJA" growing up naive as most of us did, I always had an impression that Senator Akaka was a Japanese in Hawaiian clothes. I don't know why but it was an impression that to this day still feels right despite the obviousness of his nature.

Case gives me the impression of a Republican in Democrats clothes. Is that good or bad? Good for Republicans I guess.

The point being is that Senator Akaka had many many terms to gain the trust of the Kanaka Maoli. Now the question is to all Hawaiians: Do you trust Akaka to bring restitution to you?

To me Akaka is a puppet to Inouye, and if the Hawaiians feel indifferent to the Japanese (right kamuelakea?) then how can you trust a Hawaiian (Akaka) whose strings are being pulled by the greatest Japanese leader this state has ever known...Senator Daniel Inouye.

Case's moderate viewpoints show he's no puppet and to the relief for Hawaiians, he's not being controlled by any Democratic Machine that has controlled the State of Hawaii since statehood. Remember those in control are to blame for the current state of affairs we are all in now be it good or bad.

Akaka had his chance, has there been any restitution for the Hawaiians yet? I believe Akaka was part of the problem, not the solution and that's why I think Case should win. In this case change is good.

kamuelakea you and I agree on the end result and that's pretty much where resolution needs to begin. I think Case can bring some level of resolution because Akaka hasn't and he's had a longggggg time to affect change and his best attempt? The Akaka Bill. All that has done is further divide the integrity of all Hawaiians.

Yes I'm Japanese but I was born and raised here in Hawaii. I have no culture to teach my children but the "local" way I've grown up with here in Hawaii. This is my home and if anyone tells me to go home, well here I am.

Am I proud of my third generation ancestry here in Hawaii? No, as a matter of fact I feel shame that the heroism of Daniel Inouye was exploited for the successes of Japanese immigrants at the cost for indiginent restitution.

Do I owe my own successes to that very shame? Yes I do but I try to show my support for the causes of the Kanaka Maoli thru my and my wife's (who is part Hawaiian) community service.

A good friend of mine (who is Kanaka Maoli) confided in me one day as we ate lunch together, "Craig it's easy for you to gain success over here, but for me it's not that easy." "Why do you say that" I reply. "It's your last name...Watanabe, being Japanese opens doors for you, mine is Hawaiian and doors get slammed in my face."

And guess what? He's actually more intelligent than I but the prejudice nature against his race made it harder for him to establish success with the same ease it took for me.

Talk about feeling guilty! But he's correct and for that I feel even more shame for the tragedies my ancestors bestowed on others. The Japanese may have lost in WWII but they managed to bomb Pearl Harbor and literally take over the state they declared war on. So did the Japanese really lose? Hmmm.

Yes I think it's time for change and if Case wins, then another Japanese puppet (Akaka) loses power and maybe Hawaiians will see a change for the better for them. Maybe!

Has this thread gone off topic? As kamuelakea said, before you can simply debate this issue of Case vs Akaka, you have to understand what Akaka stands for and who he stands with. I joke to my friends that Akaka should be called: Dan Jr. because he's a chip off the old block...a Japanese one.

Would you trust Akaka? Well many Hawaiians trusted Waihee (another cog in the Democratic machine) when he ran for governor. He bailed out on his people too as his strings were pulled by Inouye as well.

My gut feeling is that Inouye will make one last great move in this state by completing his political career as a candidate for Governor for the state of Hawaii...and maybe that's why the Democrats haven't found their canditate yet. With Inouye running, he doesn't even need any campaign donations. His name recognition alone will guarantee him success and put the Democrats back in total power for another 40-years.

Akaka cannot be in Congress alone without Inouye so maybe having Case run against him is a sure bet that a Democrat will control that seat. Case is younger and appeals to a younger generation and his position in Congress will allow the Democrats to control that part of government for Hawaii while the senior senator controls the state agenda.

What a game plan.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow so many generalizations in this thread. Dan Akaka has been a close family friend for many years and I'm pure Japanese. Back in the 70s and 80s uncle Dan campaigned against many AJA opponents (Kuroda, Saiki, and others). My nisei father helped him defeat all of them. Where was the monolithic AJA voting bloc back then? Generalizations such as those put forth on this thread may be true most of the time but not all the time. My grandfather who immigrated to Hawaii never ever worked as a plantation laborer. He came here out of fear of being conscripted into the Japanese military. At that time they were at war with czarist Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
            Wow so many generalizations in this thread. Dan Akaka has been a close family friend for many years and I'm pure Japanese. Back in the 70s and 80s uncle Dan campaigned against many AJA opponents (Kuroda, Saiki, and others). My nisei father helped him defeat all of them. Where was the monolithic AJA voting bloc back then?

I am guessing here but if Dan Akaka was running against AJAs, you are most likely talking about a Primary Election. That would explain where the monolithic bloc was. They were voting. There have been a couple of AJA republicans in Hawaii but you could count them on one hand or maybe even just one other appendage.

There's a challenge. Name a Republican AJA who ran for office in Hawaii.

Comment

I am guessing here but if Dan Akaka was running against AJAs, you are most likely talking about a Primary Election. That would explain where the monolithic bloc was. They were voting. There have been a couple of AJA republicans in Hawaii but you could count them on one hand or maybe even just one other appendage.

No challenge at all.

Dalton Tanonaka.

Comment

Pat Saiki, even had a term in Congress during the Reagan years.
                Last edited by helen; January 24, 2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  No challenge at all.

Dalton Tanonaka.
                  ooouch! my hot cocoa wen huli on me!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    ooouch! my hot cocoa wen huli on me!
                    Oops! Sorry Auntie.

Also, Stan Koki ran for LG a while ago, no?

Comment

• Re: Case to challenge Akaka for Senate Seat

Das ok Glen. I'm alright. Dat name juss bothers me still.

Yeah, Stan Koki did.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

100 years of history and we are up to 3.

Anymore?

Comment

100 years of history and we are up to 3.

Anymore?
                          Oh, c'mon. That was just in the last 20 years or so. And after all, it wasn't till the Democratic takeover of the legislature back in the late 1950s-early 1960s that there were any elected ethnic members of the government at all, if I remember my history right.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            Oh, c'mon. That was just in the last 20 years or so. And after all, it wasn't till the Democratic takeover of the legislature back in the late 1950s-early 1960s that there were any elected ethnic members of the government at all, if I remember my history right.

The question wasn't how many ethnic minorites have been politicians but how many AJAs have been Republicans. Go back 20, 50 or 100 years, I suspect the number would be the same, so far it's 3. IN fact all 3 so far have been politicians of the last 20 years. The lack of diversity in voting supports the notion of a bloc vote.

In terms of your knowledge of history, there were more part-Hawaiians in the legislature in the early 1900s then there are now. Homerule Party was a very Hawaiian Party. I don't think most Japanese were even voting in Hawaii elections at that time. Many were still arriving.
                            Last edited by kamuelakea; January 24, 2006, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              The point being is that Senator Akaka had many many terms to gain the trust of the Kanaka Maoli. Now the question is to all Hawaiians: Do you trust Akaka to bring restitution to you?

To me Akaka is a puppet to Inouye, and if the Hawaiians feel indifferent to the Japanese (right kamuelakea?) then how can you trust a Hawaiian (Akaka) whose strings are being pulled by the greatest Japanese leader this state has ever known...Senator Daniel Inouye.

You might be right and in fact I do question Akaka because I also question Inouye. The question I really have is not why hasn't Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill, my question is why haven't Inouye AND Akaka been able to pass a Hawaiian recognition bill.

Inouye is constantly recognized as the Top (in some years) and always close to the top pork barrel spender in all of the Senate. He knows how to pass special interest legislation better than most.

In addition, some of you might find this interesting. I was lucky enough to stop by Inouye's office many years ago and was invited to take a short tour. He wasn't there at the time but I did get to see his corner digs. What struck me was the office was decorated mostly with Native American Indian artifacts. Not American, not Japanese, not Hawaiian, but Indian. Feathers, beads, the whole thing. I came to learn that Inouye is honored and revered by many Indian tribes for his help in establishing and supporting Native American Indians. There are I think 180 independent Indian Nations in the US right now.

Now isn't it odd that the man who has singlehandedly created more sovereign nations in the US has not created the one closest to home?

I'm just thinking outloud, but could it be that Inouye really doesn't want an Independent Hawaiian Nation. Could he be letting Akaka run himself around the capitol while letting his other collegues know, without saying of course, that he doesn't mind if the Akaka Bill doesn't pass, just give it a good show if you know what I mean, wink wink.

I just can't imagine that if Dan Inouye is as powerful as most people say, and if his area of expertise seems to be establishing and supporting Native American people, and if he is #2 in Senate seniority, and if he's the top special interest Senator, ......that he can't get the Akaka Bill or some version passed.

That's why I think he might actually not want it to pass.

To continue the conspiracy theory, what if Inouye secretly gave Case the go ahead because he sees it as a way to kill the Akaka Bill without having to do it himself?????

Comment

dis getting moa interesting. i'm going to have dinner. please go have dinner too. (chuckles) nah. talk story all you like. i'll catch up laterz.

love,

auntie lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X